Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Police Fire..... Bystander Safety?

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    If all the cops are doing gun training, who will deal with the robberies, domestics and mentals?
    What planet are you from? Ill spell it out for you....They wont all fit on the gun range at the same time so they will have to take turns, thus any who are not shooting can go to the incident........

In all seriousness, they maintain training and information, physical training etc all while on the job. So squeeze in a couple hours here and there for firearms training on a regular basis. My 10 year old nephew understood the concept.
    shooternz, Sideshow, 40mm and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Most pistol shooters would shoot more rounds in a month than a cop does in their entire career,
    Yip - a cop told me a couple of years ago how much range time they do to keep their frontline status for firearms. From memory it was one day a year where they put 2 mags through a Glock and 2 mags through an AR, but if they score too low they get more for another round. He thought they need more training too.

R93
    Police use our range say once a month.
    The trainers I see regularly are ex mil guys I served with. One of them is a very good and keen shooter in his spare time.
    They have opinions on how much and what training is required but like everything these days it is all controlled by bean counters.

Wasn't much different in the military after Muldoon. Accounting for ammo and pyros was tedious but I spose lives have a price tag.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Dead is better likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

If all the cops are doing gun training, who will deal with the robberies, domestics and mentals?
    Seriously ?
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

My son is a Sgt in Sth Auckland. As GravelBen says, they get sod-all live practice each year. I'll bet the Aussie cops get waaay more- their budgets will be better. It's a thankless task being a cop in these situations. The paper work/official and public scrutiny/ negative after-effects from you shooting someone are plain intolerable, even if it were clearly justified.
    GravelBen and A330driver like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Sweet, give em guns and stuff all training? you are a damn fool @systolic.
    So who misses out when the cops are doing all this extra training with guns?

Half the time when I go into the local station for a permit or to get a gun sighted, there's nobody there except the office lady.

More training time on something most will never use has to come at someone else's cost.

"Sorry you your house got robbed. But the robbery squad are all at training this week. And next week they're taking annual leave. We could come around for a look on the 15th, after lunch sometime. That any good to you?"

"The traffic division can't come to your car accident because the only cop working is already at another one. The other guys are at training every Thursday."

R93
    What imbecile would schedule training or testing for a whole duty team at once?

It would be staggard like the military or any other organisation that requires all its staff to be current.
    Pretty friggen simple to do.

Sideshow and outlander like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    very good........... prompted me to google systolic to see what you meant
    i learned something today
    This is what I imagine Systolic would be like 'relaxing' if I were to meet him.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH7M_P8CiCY

Given that they're a para-military force, I'm sure they can organise training for current weapon systems. NZP are spending 20 million on new body armor so surely they can substitute their budgeting for training no?
    outlander and rewa like this.

So who misses out when the cops are doing all this extra training with guns?

Half the time when I go into the local station for a permit or to get a gun sighted, there's nobody there except the office lady.

More training time on something most will never use has to come at someone else's cost.

"Sorry you your house got robbed. But the robbery squad are all at training this week. And next week they're taking annual leave. We could come around for a look on the 15th, after lunch sometime. That any good to you?"

"The traffic division can't come to your car accident because the only cop working is already at another one. The other guys are at training every Thursday."
    Einstein.
    Use enough gun

.................................................. .........

Isn't that what happens now anyway??
    timattalon and outlander like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    What planet are you from? Ill spell it out for you....They wont all fit on the gun range at the same time so they will have to take turns, thus any who are not shooting can go to the incident........

In all seriousness, they maintain training and information, physical training etc all while on the job. So squeeze in a couple hours here and there for firearms training on a regular basis. My 10 year old nephew understood the concept.
    Gold
    outlander likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

We have three cops at our pistol club that train on their own time with their own funds, And they are damn good shots I am happy to have them in my neighbour hood
    It is pity that more of them don't join Pistol clubs or the Deerstalkers to improve their skills, maybe the NZPA and NZDA should look into encouraging them to join with reduced fees
    timattalon, 40mm and rewa like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    We have three cops at our pistol club that train on their own time with their own funds, And they are damn good shots I am happy to have them in my neighbour hood
    It is pity that more of them don't join Pistol clubs or the Deerstalkers to improve their skills, maybe the NZPA and NZDA should look into encouraging them to join with reduced fees
    I am not 100% sure how accurate this is but I was told it is sort of discouraged for them to be members of gun clubs and the like.
    I grew up with 2 of our local cops. Both in AOS and one used to be a club member. Not sure why he isint any longer.
    The other when finished training comes down for a nosey if I am or others are there and has a play. Seems very interested yet when asked to join changes subject. Would be good to have them as members.