Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Beetroot
  • 1 Post By seahunter
  • 1 Post By 30.06king
  • 1 Post By STC
  • 1 Post By 19Badger
  • 1 Post By Beetroot

Thread: PSA: Unnecessary Bureaucracy with Import Permits

PSA: Unnecessary Bureaucracy with Import Permits

Just had an email reminding me I need to inform the Police of a part I imported recently and risked a $400 if I don't tell them in time.

Email was to my work email account so was lucky I saw it in time.

Once you've imported an item you need to tell the Police what you imported and when (despite them already knowing all this information as its provided by customs, as they knew when the import permit had been actioned to send the me the email) within 30 days of importing the item. You risked a $400 fine if you don't do it in time.

All in the name of public safety I guess.....
    rupert and RV1 like this.

This isn't something new, and it's pretty clearly stated on the very first page of the Permit Letter conditions you received when you got your permit.....? Regardless of if its necessary or not, it takes me all of 30secs to do via email too.

Notification of Importation
    You are required by law pursuant to Regulation 13 of the Arms Regulations 1992 to notify Police of the importation in writing within 30 days of the items being landed in New Zealand...

FWIW - I've found the entire process of importation to be one the easiest things to do, and the police good to deal with. ~2weeks from applying for a permit to being granted. Zero hassle
    30.06king likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seahunter View Post
    This isn't something new, and it's pretty clearly stated on the very first page of the Permit Letter conditions you received when you got your permit.....? Regardless of if its necessary or not, it takes me all of 30secs to do via email too.

Notification of Importation
    You are required by law pursuant to Regulation 13 of the Arms Regulations 1992 to notify Police of the importation in writing within 30 days of the items being landed in New Zealand...

FWIW - I've found the entire process of importation to be one the easiest things to do, and the police good to deal with. ~2weeks from applying for a permit to being granted. Zero hassle
    Yep, this mirrors my experience. A little bit of time to complete details is the main task, but no drama really.
    And, yes, the requirement to inform Police of the item importation within 30 days is quite clearly stated. When sending my advice in I always request, and receive, a personal acknowledgement rather than just the auto response, and I keep this filed, just for possible future reference. If I am challenged anywhere down the line re notifying imports I can prove I did my legal duty which they know about.
    RV1 likes this.

Well I'm buggered if it's that easy.
    Did a permit a while back, took two Weekes back for a query, no mention of turning it down, sorted it out and sent it back.
    That has now been close to a month
    If it wasn't going to be approved they could have told me at the start

STC
    I guess it largely depends on which officer is assessing the permit request and how big their workload is.
    tetawa likes this.

I applied to import a rifle I was taking overseas latter this year it took over a month to receive the permit.

Approx time for another permit I applied for at the same time to import a new item was exactly the same, and my previous import for a rifle and barrels was approx two months as they questioned why I was importing the 5 barrels.
    STC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Well I'm buggered if it's that easy.
    Did a permit a while back, took two Weekes back for a query, no mention of turning it down, sorted it out and sent it back.
    That has now been close to a month
    If it wasn't going to be approved they could have told me at the start
    Edit to this. Found a reply somehow that got missed by me when I queried them back on the 5th. It was being chucked up to her supervisor probably because there was a bunch of bits that qualified by saying they were a shit of a thing to get here and there was several of us involved to save on freight. It has to make sense surely as otherwise if we all just said feck it, there would be 5 permits.
    Still to hear back

My permit took the best part of a month to get approved.
    It was assessed within 2 days then took a further 20+ to get sign off by the supervisor.

I can't help but think Te Tari Pūreke is a euphemism for "more difficult than needs to be by design".

I appreciate my above scenario was my fault for not reading things correctly, and was a FYI for people like me that get busy and forget things. The last item I imported didn't need me to inform them I received it.

It was a complete fluke I checked my work email account to see the email reminder about needing to inform them of what I imported.

It was also me expressing my disdain for the entire thing as customs know what I imported (they sent me an email outlining exactly what I'd imported) so me having to tell the Police the same information is just a waste of time and the risk of a $400 fine for telling them something they already know (or should know) is stupid.

Maybe it's just my poor attitude and totally contempt for the Police, regardless someone might find the information helpful.
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    My permit took the best part of a month to get approved.
    It was assessed within 2 days then took a further 20+ to get sign off by the supervisor.

I can't help but think Te Tari Pūreke is a euphemism for "more difficult than needs to be by design".

I appreciate my above scenario was my fault for not reading things correctly, and was a FYI for people like me that get busy and forget things. The last item I imported didn't need me to inform them I received it.

It was a complete fluke I checked my work email account to see the email reminder about needing to inform them of what I imported.

It was also me expressing my disdain for the entire thing as customs know what I imported (they sent me an email outlining exactly what I'd imported) so me having to tell the Police the same information is just a waste of time and the risk of a $400 fine for telling them something they already know (or should know) is stupid.

Maybe it's just my poor attitude and totally contempt for the Police, regardless someone might find the information helpful.
    You have always been supposed to inform them when it arrives but they didn't do anything if you didn't. I have several letters of receipt in a file that I handed to the local arms officer, some dating back 20+ years. That was for firearms/actions etc a lot of things back then didn't require an import permit not like now

My permit was quite quick to get approved, but the person that approved it typo'd my name in the email address which slowed things up (to be fair thats a pretty common thing for me so not really their fault as such).

After I got it, I never actually was able to import the part as it was in the covid shipping time and I physically couldn't get the thing out of where it was in the US and over this side. The selling company didn't want it picked up and carried out (I think that looks suss for their end, payment on a foreign CC and carried out - fair enough) but the lack of physical carrying options from the other side of their country stopped the sale cold. I haven't imported the bit so hopefully the permit just expired haha no notification required!

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    I haven't imported the bit so hopefully the permit just expired haha no notification required!
    I also got caught up in the covid shipping bollocks so couldnt import what i wanted to. I did get a reminder email from police just before it expired about notifying them regardless of whether I imported or not.

Now shipping us back on from the US I'm going through the process again of getting my permit sorted (before I have to pay for the privilege!).