Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Rifle safe/rack and renting a flat

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Im one of those mean nasty landlords id just run it past him its the decent thing to do if you expect him to cooperate last thing you want is a contractor to come across it and he hears second hand theres firearms on his property hes unaware of i dont have a problem with my tennant having firearms
    Explain to him that because you have a firearms license, it is a legal requirement that you must have secure storage, even if you do not own any at the time. No need to mention the total number of airsofts that will be in it.

Edit: Ok, you've already done it. Should read it all before commenting
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Yeah was what I did when renting. Landlords were cool but were also soft types.

Not really fair to allow the landlord to decide if you can hold a rifle or not. Be careful where you put it and it will be fine.

Definately go the safe, especially in a group living situation.
    Why not fair its his property not like theres a shortage of tennants and we have to take the first one that comes along

Im one of those mean nasty landlords id just run it past him its the decent thing to do if you expect him to cooperate last thing you want is a contractor to come across it and he hears second hand theres firearms on his property hes unaware of i dont have a problem with my tennant having firearms
    Yes...but you are also a realistic FA owner, you'd probably give a hand to make sure it was done properly (not so you could checkout the great Mannlicher Grandad gave them ) . In todays climate, I'd probably want the conversation before I signed the lease if I was going to tell them.

Why not fair its his property not like theres a shortage of tennants and we have to take the first one that comes along
    Because if he already lives there, I don't think as a landlord you should have power to control whether or not he is able to get a firearms licence, nor should you have the ability to control or dictate any other legal lifestyle choices your tenants make, provided it does not damage your property.

Clearly you are receptive to the idea but just imagine how many aren't given the current public sentiment and histeria around legally owned firearms. They shouldn't be in the position to dictate how somone lives their life.
    keneff likes this.

northdude
    they are within their rights to dictate what happens on their property easy soloution is go buy your own house problem solved I suppose the farmer who lets you shoot on their land has no right to tell you what you can or cant do on his land either
    Speill likes this.

Banned
    As a landlord for the past 12 years, I can tell you that a few holes in plasterboard where a gun safe was does not represent an issue.

Having firearms on property could be an issue for some landlords...I would not tell the landlord myself.

A stable tenancy is worth a lot more in terms of hassle and vacant weeks than having a "there is no shortage of tenants attitude"
    erniec likes this.

Main thing is to get friendly with a plasterer. Make sure it doesn't look like you had any holes there when you leave

My last landlord (a lady) freaked out when I told her I was a firearms owner, and wanted to put a safe in. Her husband calmed her down, and it became okay. After we'd been there over a year, she asked me one day if I'd mind shooting the possum that kept waking her up, so I did that and it was then very okay. She and her husband both said they were glad I'd been straight up about it, and so was I when the contractors came and did the underfloor insulation - they never saw a thing that looked like a firearm of any kind. My current landlord wanted to have a look at mine, then wanted to show me his. But he's a farmer and has a different view of the world than the townies. I can even set up a target over the other side of the gully and shoot from the deck. Just not when there's stock around. Naturally. Some landlords are easy to get on with, as long as you respect the fact that while it's it's your home, it's their house.
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

they are within their rights to dictate what happens on their property easy soloution is go buy your own house problem solved I suppose the farmer who lets you shoot on their land has no right to tell you what you can or cant do on his land either
    I'm sorry but this is a crock of shit. Being a landlord does not and should not give you dictatorial powers over your tenants. Provided they do undertake any illegal activities or damage the property its none of your business what they do. This is written in to law.

Owning a house should not be a prerequisite for being able to participate in hunting or shooting or any other number of past times or lifestyle choices.

Most people aren't renting by choice, and it is an entirely different situation to a farmer gifting you access for a shot.
    Malhunting and keneff like this.

Iv been a landlord to & I wouldn't expected to be ask to put in a gun save its no different to then puting up photos / mounting there flat screen tvs to every bedroom & lounge wall

Iv never come across a tenancy agreement stating no guns , sounds like BS to me & if got to the stage landlords where being dicks id mention it after moving in or not at all .
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

northdude
    the other problem that some will have with firearms on their property is the health and safety bullshit as once your in their property they've just taken over from your mum and now its their problem if anything happens for someone who isn't familiar or comfortable with firearms its easier to not go there BUT as ive said before I don't have problem with my tenant having firearms on my property and the simple fact is some will have a problem and they are allowed to

Will a gun rack pass the inspection? I've been told only gun safe will.

northdude
    Ask your ao i think different areas have different requirements from what ive heard

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by lhou View Post
    Will a gun rack pass the inspection? I've been told only gun safe will.
    Steel gun racks of stout construction with a good locking mechanism secured to a solid structure are perfectly legal. In fact, some are a far better for firearms security than some metal gun safes/cabinets. There is a section in the police "NZ Firearms Licence Vetting Guide" for gun racks.
    Preacher likes this.