Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Safe place to store ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Pearson View Post
    They dont allow that here. Has to be in a completely separate box/cabinet .
    Just had my relocation check done for E cat. rifles in the top Ammo in bottom separate lockable compartment no issues at all.

I keep my ammo in my guns, I figure no-one will look for it there.
    DAF, Dundee, mucko and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I keep my ammo in my guns, I figure no-one will look for it there.
    It was good enough for SAI guns to have a pistol semi ready in the desk draw then why not.

You dont have to lock your ammo away its just recommended much like removing the bolts and mags of rifles and keeping them separate is recommended and not required by law. Just make sure your guns are ammo are not together and that your ammo is hidden or out of reach instead of rolling around on the floor. That being said when your getting your security checked its good to go all out to avoid any issues. If you could go to jail or get prosecuted for a stray .22 rooling around somewhere in your house half of us would be doing time lol. And if your driving around with your guns make sure your mags are out if possible or your in the shit.

*loaded mags are out, you mean

Although I'm pretty sure they can't search your vehicle without consent or good cause and "you look like a hunter so you might have a loaded mag in there" is not good cause

Tools not Toys
    Officer " I think we need to have a look in your vehicle sir"
    Me " Nah sorry mate pretty sure you need a decent reason or a warrant"

I would say my day would go downhill rapidly after that, not because I had anything to hide, but because the power hungry ahem would go all out to fck me over because I got one over him/her on a technicality.

Lets face it its becoming harder and harder to stand up to beauracracy etc because of the cost involved.
    Last edited by hanse; 21-06-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: terrible builder speak
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

Tools not Toys
    Sorry Dylan got sidetracked. The rules are as the guys outlined above eg keep it out of the way of kids etc and make it hard to find/ access if heaven forbid, someone unauthorised got ahold of your firearms.

My AO had a good point that I think some guys miss, Instead of just following the law, why not go one step further and make It as hard as possible for anyone but you, to get at you guns and ammo.
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

Quote Originally Posted by hanse View Post
    Lets face it its becoming harder and harder to stand up to beauracracy etc because of the cost involved.
    And that's the best reason to do it.
    mucko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hanse View Post
    Sorry Dylan got sidetracked. The rules are as the guys outlined above eg keep it out of the way of kids etc and make it hard to find/ access if heaven forbid, someone unauthorised got ahold of your firearms.

My AO had a good point that I think some guys miss, Instead of just following the law, why not go one step further and make It as hard as possible for anyone but you, to get at you guns and ammo.
    Exactly. But sadly too many people feel it's not worth the hassle, and doesn't work for 100% of every situation. I suspect if there was a sudden increase in random spot inspections by the Police, like check points on the road for cars have, attitudes might quickly change.

I feel like police shouldn't have the power to do random spot inspections

I have a number of ex-army tins each with different purposes - all padlocked. One with 12g and ammo belt. One for 22 and mags. I can grab either of these and take it on a trip when I'm going hunting. I have a 6mm thick steel locker I got on TM for a song, with double padlocks for main storage.
    Picked up one of those pelican case rip-offs from Supercheap - has twin padlock points on it. $25 I think. Holds about 4 boxes of 12g or whatever.

They can with cars. And their drivers

They shouldn't have the ability to do so for firearms!

I suggest you spend a night with the Police and get a feel for what their job is like, I imagine it will change your tune.

Police need "good cause to suspect" in order to invoke a search of your vehicle regarding firearms, that reason could be that a vehicle of that description was used in an offence involving firearms in the area, within the past few hours. Do you think Police shouldn't have that power? How hard do you want to make their job?!

If police couldn't do spot inspections then what is to discourage the lazy from locking their firearms away?

If ya get stuck Dylan I can lock your ammo up for you
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive