Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Semi Autos - Possible Interesting Development

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    With some of the blades and cutting wheels available today, a E cat safe is no hassle to enter. The deterrent needs to be in the courts, not the licenced firearm owner.
    If a criminal wants something badly enough, nothing will stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    True and a hand tool resistant safe will NOT stop all of them. But the need to grind their way in will make it harder especially if you have an alarm.

At the end of the day these people should be kept off the streets.

I recently had an exasperated chuckle at a recent episode of police 10-7 where a shotgun was used in an offense. All the emphasis was on removing the firearm from circulation rather than catching the person who used it/acquired it.

Quote Originally Posted by sheppard84 View Post
    I recently had an exasperated chuckle at a recent episode of police 10-7 where a shotgun was used in an offense. All the emphasis was on removing the firearm from circulation rather than catching the person who used it/acquired it.
    And far more motor vehicles are used by the crims, even in order to kill people. And knives, baseball bats, tools, .... Quite simply they need to sort the problem (crims) rather than ALL of the tools they use. Trouble is they go too softly, softly on them and by the time they get around to doing anything that could have been effective the crims are now career crims.
    veitnamcam and AppleJack like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Having said that, I have met a guy who made his own safe and the door is double-skinned.
    He filled the void with gunpowder and the outer skin is fairly light so the explosion would go outwards were anyone to try getting into it with a grinder.

Probably illegal but would certainly be gratifying

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Having said that, I have met a guy who made his own safe and the door is double-skinned.
    He filled the void with gunpowder and the outer skin is fairly light so the explosion would go outwards were anyone to try getting into it with a grinder.

A big ass sticker on the door saying "WARNING, GUNPOWDER" and technically it's no longer a man trap?
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    A big ass sticker on the door saying "WARNING, GUNPOWDER" and technically it's no longer a man trap?
    HAHA you could just say. But "Your Honor" I thought it was the safest place to store my powder! Look I even put a sticker on it!

res

Semi Autos - Possible Interesting Development

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post

Have heard story's of people storing there powder on the back of strong room doors etc.

I really like the thinking behind it but the crims can have my guns rather than me ending up in jail after a successful mantrap activation.

I'll just have to stick to strong storage that's has alarms-the company knows to ring the police of it goes off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boaraxa, 300CALMAN and Steve123 like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Have heard story's of people storing there powder on the back of strong room doors etc.

I really like the thinking behind it but the crims can have my guns rather than me ending up in jail after a successful mantrap activation.

I'll just have to stick to strong storage that's has alarms-the company knows to ring the police of it goes off

Yes unfortunately in the PC society we live in that is the reality. Don't really want to burn my house down either, you can bet insurance wouldn't pay for it. The sad fact is you become the baddie defending what is yours.
    Knoxy_09 likes this.

For all the talk of breaking into safes etc, has anyone else here actually ever known, even second hand, of burglars breaking into a proper gun safe (not an a cat tin can) in nz? Not being sarky, just interested in any real life examples
    Jexla likes this.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by ubique View Post
    For all the talk of breaking into safes etc, has anyone else here actually ever known, even second hand, of burglars breaking into a proper gun safe (not an a cat tin can) in nz? Not being sarky, just interested in any real life examples
    A mate had is old e cat safe (chub I think) cut into-fortunately he had built a strongroom a year or so beforehand so it was only used as a decoy and for stuff he still had to clean etc.
    they just cut a fairly small hole and fussed the ducked old .22s etc he had in it out through it. It was a targeted burglary and it has yet to be solved. I don't really want to say how they cut it but it was not that hard. It was a better safe than any I have owned.

It can and does happen.

Restrict working space around the safe if you can. Hide the safe if you can. Don't hang out with scum. Have insurance.

mikee, 308 and Steve123 like this.
    Using Tapatalk

I've been told of a couple of cases of E category safes being defeated by burglars in our district, in recent times.

Most A cat safes are honestly garbage. They can be pried open fairly easy if you are determined. Thin steel, poor design. Cases where B, C and E category firearms are stolen always seem to be targeted, and theives with time and tools will get in.

I posed the question of how many stolen firearms get recovered, to somebody in the police with good knowledge of the issue. The answer was "basically none".
    Jexla likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I don t own any semi's but think this is bullshit.

Any of you literate law/politics understanding type people going to post up something us semiliterate non law/politics understanding types can copy paste/add remove bits so we can lobby?

cos lets face it you dont want me or half of the rest of us spouting off incoherent misspelled unpunctuatted drivel cos it will just make us look bad as a whole.
    Very well said VC.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The premises that cannot be broken into and the physical and electronic security system that cannot be overcome have both yet to be designed. I spent several years proving to people that the thousands of dollars they had spent on their security could be easily overcome. I recall one particularly wealthy individual spitting the dummy big time when I demonstrated that I could get into the middle of his highly secure fourth floor Remuera apartment and remove his most prized possession right under the eyes of his really expensive monitored security system. Ahh those were the days. Sorry for the thread deviation, I am just making a point.
    kotuku likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    The premises that cannot be broken into and the physical and electronic security system that cannot be overcome have both yet to be designed. I spent several years proving to people that the thousands of dollars they had spent on their security could be easily overcome. I recall one particularly wealthy individual spitting the dummy big time when I demonstrated that I could get into the middle of his highly secure fourth floor Remuera apartment and remove his most prized possession right under the eyes of his really expensive monitored security system. Ahh those were the days. Sorry for the thread deviation, I am just making a point.
    and you Sir are right on the money-whats the old saying -the first man invents a foolproof system-the second comes along and finds the holes in it.
    yes people need to understand -to the committed scum security is simply a series of obstacles to be overcome on your way to removing your ill gotten gains
    universities of crime-Paremomo,Mt Eden Paparoa all no doubt offer easily accessed knowledge and tuition in this.
    congrats to his honour who sent Russell Tully ,the ashburton shooter down for 27yrs+-mind you should have got another five for an illegal firearm,but either way it puts a self entitled prick outta circulation for a good spell.
    dogmatix, 308 and Steve123 like this.