Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: suppressor failure

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Christ. When you think about the operating environment for these pieces of kit, it's not really going to have an indefinate service life especially if made of ali. Turning a magnum-sized miniature blowtorch onto it for a few seconds each time you pull the loud lever isn't going to be good for anything even your barrel!

We are going lighter and lighter and lighter on everything, BUT lighter and lighter done with no possible consequences and issues = $$$$$$ and most kiwi's want the good stuff at kiwi wages $$$ which really leads to a compromise. If we want an extra long service life out of things like suppressors, without big $ on exotic metals that cost a lot to buy and more to machine, then we need stainless materials and not ali but stainless is heavy. No free lunch there...

And to cut weight, there's only a certain amount of material you can remove before you are running the razor's edge. I think the OP has nailed it, how light is too light???
    The OP said 'low round count', i would like to know exactly how many????? Also bold claims have been made by the manufacturer and re-sellers about how great these units are. What do you consider reasonable service life? If this was sold as a magnum-rated can it should be able to handle it, not blow up prematurely? Material selection is just part of the problem. Flawed design and lax assembly are just other possible contributors to this event??? I bet there are likely to be some nervous H&F dealers out there who may find themselves seeing customers bringing in more of these sort of catastrophies, especially on the magnums. It is just a matter of time IMO.
    Philipo likes this.

I think its good that looseunit has posted this , despite of whether he works at a gunshop or not

definetly take it as a safety warning. id like to see whether there was an engineers sign off on the design of the product pictured - call it pc but if it harmed someone you wouldn't have a foot to stand on in court

doesn't mean any other suppressor manufacturers product is any worse off at this stage however I have had two shoddy jobs come back from the manufacturer of the above suppressor so ive learnt from my lesson and am staying clear!
    #BallisticFists

I made a suppressor last year, my first. The joining baffle and the next baffle are stainless steel. Hell it's heavy compared to these new ones. There is always a trade off when we compromise weight and material type; something gives., sooner or later something gives. We know that alloy baffles can never last blasts of this type, even stainless doesn't last.
    I'd like to know more about this failure and what caused it or a likely cause, my guess would be alignment.
    Dan M

Wow, this thread was 97% horse shit.

Full credit to OP for posting, it's why were all here as someone said earlier. There is no good reason to HIDE the fact that it happened, or who made it, or any of that PC nonsense.

And who cares if this is found via a search engine?! When I research a product before buying it, I want to find as much info as I can, good AND bad, to make an informed decision.

Informed decisions, more or less the backbone of why forums work so well.

Look forward to seeing what HRE has to say, and how they plan to deal with it.

And I'm certain that people reading this in the future will only be interested in the same thing.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    My guess will he won't give 2 flying fucks.. Certainly didn't when I reported an imminent failure.
    Philipo, 338 man and Dr. Watson like this.

The Original Striker
    didnt phillipo have a similar "it dissapeared with a bang incident"
    Spanners and Philipo like this.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Im pissd i wasted the time to read 5 pages for nothing, I thought Mr Hardy or a spokesman should of replied that they would look into it and sort it ASAP already. If history shows us anything, it could be a long wait.
    While we wait should we make fun of the shooter that uses 150gr loads in a 300wm hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
    I think Jason did the right thing posting the image. ( Caveat Emptor )

That big tall bloke from Hamilton sent us some extra baffles for our 223 cans which apparently he made by hand.We are a bit anxious because the baffle was made on a cnc machine but they performed faultlessly in the rain yesterday. Give him a ring.
    Friwi likes this.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Right after 5 page's of dribble, here's my take on things

Take it from someone that had a "light weight magnum suppressor" fail ( and yes there's no point dancing around not naming manufacturers, as everyone knows mine & this one was a HRE ) these friggen things don't go pop!, they go farken "BANG"

and it isn't a nice experience when they do, so for a few of you that are giving "looseunit" a hard time, try it for your self & see if you enjoy gettin smacked by Mike Tyson & a face full of shit.

This was well known, as it happened at a FnH forum gong shot, This was an early Gen 1 - 2 unit on a Kimber 7mm WSM

Name:  HRE 1.JPG
Views: 900
Size:  250.8 KB

Name:  HRE 4.JPG
Views: 738
Size:  295.7 KB

Name:  HRE 5.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  7.5 KB

Dan sorted mine & he'll sort this one, he's always been good like that ( but shit they cost fuk all to produce ) so what the heck it's only a few $$ he don't give a toss, funny that my replacement also bulged after about 50 rounds blahahahaha

PS- I have nothing against Dan or any other suppressor maker ( shit HRE are doing very well for themselves at the mo ) but

A couple of points to take out'a this thread & I wish that some suppressor manufactures would inform their customers of this when using on medium-large centerfires.

These "Light weight can's" are made out of light weight material's like alloy, they aren't very strong & fatigue, so use them for there purpose, hunting! & by hunting I mean Deer shooting ( 3 rounds ) not bombing up 20 rounds in 2'mins on a mob of goats.

They aren't designed for gong shooting, While "cans" are great for shooting in a group ( far more socially welcomed than shooting with a brake ) putting 30-50 rounds through a "LW Can" in an hour, ain't guna do it any good.

Don't fit a "LW can" to anything bigger than a 30-06, the recoil reduction is fuk all & they don't like the pressure ( 60-65,000 psi ) go get a decent brake & a decent set of muffs, your shoulder will love you for it.

Just my two cent's worth

Chur
    Last edited by Philipo; 08-03-2015 at 07:38 PM.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Or some hardening cream
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Which is why I have a brake for range/gongs/hunting with others and a suppressor for hunting with the dog
    Uplandstalker likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Maybe I should go buy back those Reflex T8 tanks I sold 12 months ago.
    Nothing will destroy those f**kers.

Nah.... got sick of lugging them around.
    Happy with my DPT modulars on my bolts and DPT steel baffled AR can.
    Welcome to Sako club.

MAE full stainless and get an arm workout at the same time ha ha

L.R
    I had 2 MAE stainless supressors bulge on a 300rum

I don't own a suppressor because I figure once the deer is dead, the noise don't matter much. I can't carry out more than one these days.

However, I have researched a bit on suppressors manufactured in Europe. Some of these , especially the upmarket ones specifically warn against firing more than 5 rounds from a magnum in any one sequence of shooting before allowing the suppressor to cool and be cleaned before re-use. Abuse of this condition voids warranty and liability.

I agree strongly with Philipo post.