Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Target id.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    You live in the north island don't you Gordo? (I assume your name is Gordon, or you're chubby...) it amazes me the coverage you seem to get up there, where as down here in the forgotten isles I live on the Canterbury plains 20 minutes from chch and have to dance around and hold my tongue just the right way to get a text message to go through.
    There's already an answer to this problem, but people seem to not think much of the idea and go round shooting other hunters anyhow. It's a matter of changing the mindset of these people not giving them more gadgets to make things even more confusing for them
    Wow times must of changed since 14 years ago when I liven on Ashley Gorge rd in Glentui because I had cell reception no worries back then and that's more than 20 min from CHCH city centre and my phone was not smart

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    Wow times must of changed since 14 years ago when I liven on Ashley Gorge rd in Glentui because I had cell reception no worries back then and that's more than 20 min from CHCH city centre and my phone was not smart
    Very likely when signal was still analogue in a lot of places, now it's 100% digital it's crap
    Beaker and timattalon like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Very likely when signal was still analogue in a lot of places, now it's 100% digital it's crap
    Yeah you most likely right there I don't think digital existed back then hahaha and yes you 100% are right about the digital part too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    It’s actually real crap out there

And real crap all over the North Island too

I sometimes don't get cell phone coverage in my room! But at the long drop at mangamuka hut I can get some!.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Purely in jest.

Attachment 85652
    Put me down for one with a blue strobe light

Maybe it would be helpful only to identify targets through binoculars, not scopes.

I think it was @Ryan_Songhurst I read suggesting that, if you can't tell the sex of your target you haven't identified it.

Worth serious thought?

I totally disagree with the idea of any sort of electronic detention aid or compulsory standard for outdoor users.
    As soon as you introduce something like that you diminish the responsibility of the shooter.
    "I didn't get a signal from the aid so I shot him".
    "He wasn't wearing the device so it was his fault I shot him".
    It is like trying to make hi-vis compulsory for motorcyclists. If you are not wearing it then it is your fault if some dopey driver doesn't see you and kills you.
    I am all for making yourself visible and doing anything you feel will increase your chances of being recognised as a person and not game but unless everyone does it (which they won't) and it is fool proof (which it won't be) then all it does is give someone another excuse for NOT IDENTIFYING THEIR TARGET.
    Pengy, Gibo, timattalon and 3 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Maybe it would be helpful only to identify targets through binoculars, not scopes.

I think it was @Ryan_Songhurst I read suggesting that, if you can't tell the sex of your target you haven't identified it.

Worth serious thought?
    Not me... shit I stare at chamois for bloody ages trying to work out if it's got dangly bits haha
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Not me... shit I stare at chamois for bloody ages trying to work out if it's got dangly bits haha
    @Ryan_Songhurst

I'll make sure I keep my hair short in that case.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Banned
    Good on you for thinking about safety and target identification Gordo, full marks. It is only time and experience that train your brain as to how animals appear in different situations. By that I mean your brain has to learn how to interpret the refracted light coming to your eyes from the object in different shadings etc. There is plenty of opportunity for mistakes, with heart beating and adrenaline flowing.
    The best method of target ID that I know of was originated by the Graf Brothers 'Assume everything is a human until you have proven otherwise'

all the red deer ever bred
    wont make up for one man dead

no meat is better than no mate

those 2 sayings have been around 40 plus years,its not a new problem,maybe much mure publisised but not new.
    scope ID has saved more than one life over the years,but yes binos would be better in ideal world....when bush stalking they are in my backpack.

is that gap between cars big enough for me to get out and into??? or are they going too fast??? how did we learn this skill...we watched others and probably all had more close calls than we care to admit. the thing is it took time and experience to learn what was right. and we had to be extremely cautious untill we learnt then we had experience to lean on but still need to be cautious....similar wouldnt you say????