Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Trade me has firearms database

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    Are you a professional smartarse or were you born with the gift

???????R U AND SYSTOLIC BROTHERS BY ANY CHANCE CAUSE YOUR WRITTEN MODUS OPERANDI AND USE OF THE GRAMMATICAL ENGLISH ARE EERILY SIMILAR
    Odd, I thought you were his father.

Also, using grammar isn't something out of the ordinary, maybe just where you come from. (Clearly)
    JoshC, Gibo, systolic and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    Odd, I thought you were his father.

Also, using grammar isn't something out of the ordinary, maybe just where you come from. (Clearly)
    yeah whatever big noter

so next time you ask question etc on trademe....put in false number and see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    If you work in a gunshop then it is likely that you have passed your F / A License and EMPLOYERS will do checks. Because the employer will field responsibility for the security of the information then an employee that is not trusted should not be there. A book cannot be hacked but trade me can be, no matter how secure they claim to be.
    I do have A cat, so you trust your gun shop but not people who work for trade me ? No a book cannot be hacked, and neither Can licenses be checked, which is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so next time you ask question etc on trademe....put in false number and see what happens...
    I've done that. I got a please explain email.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    I do have A cat, so you trust your gun shop but not people who work for trade me ? No a book cannot be hacked, and neither Can licenses be checked, which is the problem.
    1st and foremost, I do trust my local gun shops that I go to. One has three staff behind the counter (And I know each one of them) and another has a few more and I know most of them.

Licenses can be checked by actually looking at them. This is the legal requirement. In a shops case they are required to record the details mainly as proof that they checked but also as a way of following up on something. Online, the issue arises because this is NOT possible hence the police form. Now trade me is checking does that mean you wont need the police form??? Not on your life. What Trade me is doing is effectively checking your licence and recording in the same way a shop would if they were to ID you as you walk in the door. The checks are already in place with the police forms and legal requirements. All trade me is doing is a PR stunt that will see it with the biggest criminal supply list ready for hacking. It would be no different from saying someone needs their license to be confirmed and recorded before they can go into a gunshop now. (Hint- Its called phishing as they are using it to gather information- it is what they will do with tht information that scares me. They already sell names etc as lists to other companies)

And trade me staff have proven to me time and time again that they dont have enough common sense between them, or if they do they let the drongo in charge make the decisions. So, No, I do not trust trade me with information. They cannot tell the difference between e-cat a-cat or in one case F-cat (I still dont think we actually have one but I dont know what F-cat is so cannot argue whether an accessory requires that endorsement....) -I think I wanted to call him a F--Cat or similar by the time I finished. Try listing a standard 10 shot 303 mag for a bolt action Lee enfield. It gets pulled as E - cat because they cannot tell if it is for an E act or an A cat rifle so they refuse to allow the listing. If they are going to police a policy, the very least they could do would be learn a little or even check about the subject in question before deciding.

Unfortunately I have had too many mistakes from trade me staff for me to even consider trusting the business. As an advertising medium they are OK. As bureaucrats, secure data storage or policemen , they are sh_t.
    Last edited by timattalon; 22-08-2017 at 11:33 PM.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Well it's all in the firearms register
    we fill your details in on purchase of a firearm. And when you buy any firearm on line , the police form has your address, also the courier company has your address, you post on a forum your I.P. address is available, use any hunting Facebook site ? Easy to trace someone to There home address ( found a guy who owed me money that way, even rang his home number) the days of privacy are over I am afraid.
    That sounds more like data mining rather than having access to my Firearms details.

If Trade Me was supplied my firearms information as suggested here, What information where they supplied. I.e. Just my name and licence number, my address, my endorsements, my list of endorsed firearms?

Not having bought any firearms from shops for a very long time I'm not sure my details are freely available to shops at this stage.

Having posted here on numerous occasions can you trace my IP address and let me know what it is, you can pm with it if you like.

Cheers
    Pete
    Boaraxa likes this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I've done that. I got a please explain email.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Me too.

And that was several years ago now.

One of the reasons I stopped buying firearms or even asking questions about firearms on Trade Me.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

So does this mean we don't need to do the paperwork if trade me is insuring everyone asking a question or bidding has a verified licence.... I'm kidding but what's the pointing them doing it if we need the forms filled out and signed by the arms officer anyway

Do what you will with the following information, but trade-me does not have access to the register. What they have is a Program that verifies against a register, you type in your name and firearms number and it reports a simple yes or no.

At no point can a trademe staff member jump on and start mining firearms register data. As long as it is done with a decent level of security the service itself should be reasonably robust. Banks, insurance companies and fintech firms use similar stuff all over the world.

Now, the issue arises with what trademe does with the information you input, is it logged?, and is it accessible to the service staff? This could be an issue however this is actually no worse than what is already possible. They already have your name, address and if you have ever bought a firearm, your license number. If they wanted to compile a list of people to rob they could do so right now, very effectively.

Like it or not checks like this are the future, and given that trademe cant request your information if you don't have faith in the service, don't use it, and you wont be at risk.

Personally I think it is a reasonably robust way of raising security around dodgy firearms trades, and a decent way for trademe to ensure those using its service are doing so legally. The Mail order form is great but is only as good as the people volunteering to use it, and TBH could be relatively easily exploited with this new email service by anyone with half a brain and a computer.

If you feel it is a breach of your privacy then thats fine, but lets at least have a look at the actual facts before we get the pitchforks out. Sensationalism helps noone

Fact is there has been no debate on the matter , im not happy for the cops to just think its ok to shear information like that without a bloody good reason & they don't have a good enough reason to do so as has been pointed out its the police forms that stop any illegal transaction , & then take the new firearms trader I haven't completed a trade on there but so far no licence number required , I don't see a problem with that as its the police form or visual sighting of a licence before any deals are done .

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Do what you will with the following information, but trade-me does not have access to the register. What they have is a Program that verifies against a register, you type in your name and firearms number and it reports a simple yes or no.

At no point can a trademe staff member jump on and start mining firearms register data. As long as it is done with a decent level of security the service itself should be reasonably robust. Banks, insurance companies and fintech firms use similar stuff all over the world.

Now, the issue arises with what trademe does with the information you input, is it logged?, and is it accessible to the service staff? This could be an issue however this is actually no worse than what is already possible. They already have your name, address and if you have ever bought a firearm, your license number. If they wanted to compile a list of people to rob they could do so right now, very effectively.

Like it or not checks like this are the future, and given that trademe cant request your information if you don't have faith in the service, don't use it, and you wont be at risk.

Personally I think it is a reasonably robust way of raising security around dodgy firearms trades, and a decent way for trademe to ensure those using its service are doing so legally. The Mail order form is great but is only as good as the people volunteering to use it, and TBH could be relatively easily exploited with this new email service by anyone with half a brain and a computer.

If you feel it is a breach of your privacy then thats fine, but lets at least have a look at the actual facts before we get the pitchforks out. Sensationalism helps noone
    I understand what you're saying and you're right. However the issue I have is that only Trademe has this access. What does that cost tax payers to give them that access? Why does only trademe get that access and not all firearm dealers, or the likes of gunstuff, firearmtrader etc etc.

Are trademe paying for it? Doubt it.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    So does this mean we don't need to do the paperwork if trade me is insuring everyone asking a question or bidding has a verified licence.... I'm kidding but what's the pointing them doing it if we need the forms filled out and signed by the arms officer anyway
    I'm guessing the point is so trademe can put up their hand and say we tried our best when guns are illegally obtained.
    Wouldn't surprise me if they paid for the programming, buying good PR and ensuring continued sales of firearms and related products for profit by proving they're not facilitating illegal transactions

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    I'm guessing the point is so trademe can put up their hand and say we tried our best when guns are illegally obtained.
    Wouldn't surprise me if they paid for the programming, buying good PR and ensuring continued sales of firearms and related products for profit by proving they're not facilitating illegal transactions
    I'd say this is absolutely possible. But is that the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Fact is there has been no debate on the matter , im not happy for the cops to just think its ok to shear information like that without a bloody good reason & they don't have a good enough reason to do so as has been pointed out its the police forms that stop any illegal transaction , & then take the new firearms trader I haven't completed a trade on there but so far no licence number required , I don't see a problem with that as its the police form or visual sighting of a licence before any deals are done .
    Well they aren't really sharing the information, they are allowing trade me to verify information you volunteer. The police form is a decent system, but it is by no means fool proof. This would add another layer of security to the largest firearms trading platform without any real extra risk or impingment on our rights/privileged. Personally I think that once we get past the sensationalism it's a worthwhile notion.

The key here is the fact that the I formation must be entered by You, and as such if you don't use it you are not under any perceived risk.