Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Uncovered guns

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    I tell the requestee they better stop selling guns then. Would be offended as fuck actually. If it was to be a "shop rule", I would never go back and would not be shy in commenting on it to anyone and every one. Every inch conceded to the politically correct, is an inch you will never get back.
    Why would you be 'offended as fuck' about being asked to act like a responsible gun owner and not like some American open carry activist?

It's not about being politically correct, it's about acting like a responsible adult when out in public with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Fuck off.

Idiots wandering around the place even across a car park, legally or not, with uncovered guns is what reinforces hysteria in the press and public about guns.

Keeping them in a cover so as not to potentially scare people unnecessarily is a much more responsible thing to do. Not just for you but all gun owners.
    @systolic

You are not totally wrong, except maybe for the abuse, but then again you are not completely right.

How long ago was it AOS was sent and had a LFAO on the ground at gunpoint... for carrying a cased rifle?
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Why would you be 'offended as fuck' about being asked to act like a responsible gun owner and not like some American open carry activist?
    That's the problem: what constitutes "being responsible" shifts over time because some screeching muppet gets their back up with no good reason, normal people capitulate overtime, to the point where kids can't play with Nerf guns and get sent home from school for playing cops n robbers.

It's not about being politically correct, it's about acting like a responsible adult when out in public with a gun.
    Does that extend to police hiding their glocks and tasers under special modesty flaps? Guarding crack labs with AR hidden under a blanket in case some poor dear has her retinas burned by the evil blackness?

Side note: you make some excellent points most of the time, but your first post on this thread starts with "Fuck off". It's all downhill from there mate, I've said it before, you do yourself a disservice with the agro.
    300CALMAN likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Its PC bullshit!, I think it safer to see the rifle than have it hidden in a cover, Don't you remember Violin Cases full of Thompsons? They were really safe?
    Oh well, outa sight, outa mind, head up arse!
    gadgetman likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    There's a popular gunsmith that requests guns be hidden or covered in a bag or something and he's in a residential area, not town.
    I don't have a problem with a case, it's still obvious what you have but less likely to cause an issue. Who wants issues, and who doesn't use a case of some kind to protect in travel.
    I see a distinct difference to a private smith (perhaps working from home if its the one I'm thinking of) and a firearm retailer. Me personally I am happy to use a case to and fro from a shop but that's more how I just do it to protect my shit more than any actual worry about public perception.
    199p, gadgetman and BRADS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I see a distinct difference to a private smith (perhaps working from home if its the one I'm thinking of) and a firearm retailer. Me personally I am happy to use a case to and fro from a shop but that's more how I just do it to protect my shit more than any actual worry about public perception.
    Indeed. If it is in a bag or case any theiving scum that may be watching wont know if it is a shitty old piece of shit or a flash expensive piece of treasure worth stealing by watching where you go (or getting rego and following you home...) The public feels safer with them ina bag or case. Ironically, tis means you cannot tell if they are "made safe" (action open, chamber flags etc) or loaded and ready to go...(Definitely a no no)

I carry mine in bags if I have to take them to a shop. Not so much for public perception, but so it does not get damaged. As it has either just come from or is about to go into my boot for the trip home. I dont want wood stocks and scopes banging around in the boot with the sharp edges and metal stuff that is sharing the space. Its a simple and practical solution.

I park up outside, go in and then tell the staff im about to bring in an unloaded firearm without a bag, go in and show them it has an empty chamber before handing it over......thats just way i roll
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    @systolic

You are not totally wrong, except maybe for the abuse, but then again you are not completely right.

How long ago was it AOS was sent and had a LFAO on the ground at gunpoint... for carrying a cased rifle?
    Do you think you are less likely to have the cops called if you are walking around, or just across a car park, with your gun is in full view and not in a case?

I have no idea of the numbers, but I bet the cops are called to a shitload more cases where guns are uncovered in public than carried in bags or cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    So out of the replies so far, if you were asked , " next time can you please have your gun covered, when entering the store" would you be offended.
    no.
    Use enough gun

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Side note: you make some excellent points most of the time, but your first post on this thread starts with "Fuck off". It's all downhill from there mate, I've said it before, you do yourself a disservice with the agro.
    Who the fuck are you? My school guidance counsellor?
    Gibo likes this.

No Lee, just pointing out that you're rude fuckwit that goes off at people for nothing because you think you're anonymous.
    csmiffy likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

You are of course illustrating the point of @Tommy very well, @systolic.

My point is that the case is no protection against AOS callouts, the problem is the hysteria, and perhaps a need to desensitise the general public by letting them see guns instead of trying to hide them. The case is to protect the gun from the world from scratching it, it is not to protect the world from seeing a gun. The way I see it, the more cool guns are displayed, the more worthy law abiding people will get inspired to go get their own FAL... to get their own cool guns. My particular bolt action guns are not particularly cool though, but AR owners take note.

Cool see-through gun bags!!! Any takers???

Name:  41uquyejUSL.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  17.7 KB
    Last edited by Cordite; 09-04-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    Deetleaves and 40mm like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I wouldn't be upset if I was asked to bring my gun into a store in a case but I also don't see an issue if you are in a gunshops carpark and you are taking the gun a few meters into the store.
    Just my 10 cents worth.
    If there is lead in the air there is hope

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    I park up outside, go in and then tell the staff im about to bring in an unloaded firearm without a bag, go in and show them it has an empty chamber before handing it over......thats just way i roll
    @Scouser sorry to play devils advocate but you just broke the law by leaving your gun in vehicle unattended.....himmm....bugger guess your better off the other way
    Scouser and Cordite like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    You are of course illustrating the point of @Tommy very well, @systolic.

My point is that the case is no protection against AOS callouts, the problem is the hysteria, and perhaps a need to desensitise the general public by letting them see guns instead of trying to hide them. The case is to protect the gun from the world from scratching it, it is not to protect the world from seeing a gun. The way I see it, the more cool guns are displayed, the more worthy law abiding people will get inspired to go get their own FAL... to get their own cool guns. My particular bolt action guns are not particularly cool though, but AR owners take note.

Cool see-through gun bags!!! Any takers???

Attachment 85519
    You really think that letting people see you walking around with uncovered guns in will 'desensitise' the general public' rather than frighten them?

You are fucking mad.

I don't know or care what your gun bags are for, but mine are to keep them out of sight just as much as protection.
    Tahr and Foxer like this.