Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator NZGR


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 77
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Very Powerful Firearms

  1. #16
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    25,289
    Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    WA nkers
    Yet in Perth in 1976 there was this petit little Aussie woman soldier that I took to see Elton John, Eric Clapton and the Who in the movie Tommy and then ............ sorry memory fading.
    gadgetman likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  2. #17
    Member Beavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,313
    Yup, just constant need to justify yourself. This is why I want nothing to change with our laws. You have the freedom to be just a guy who likes guns and enjoys shooting them.
    veitnamcam, Ryan, Beaker and 6 others like this.

  3. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    kaiapoi
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Yet in Perth in 1976 there was this petit little Aussie woman soldier that I took to see Elton John, Eric Clapton and the Who in the movie Tommy and then ............ sorry memory fading.
    I think your memory is just fine, its just not appropriate to write what you are reminiscing about lol

  4. #19
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    25,289
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    I think your memory is just fine, its just not appropriate to write what you are reminiscing about lol
    Nah the truth is my missus sat down on the couch beside me.
    gadgetman, Beaker, 40mm and 1 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  5. #20
    Member chainsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,225
    Nah, you are missing the point the Aussies are clearly very worried they’ll get shot by mistake while they’re out there rodgering the wild camels. That’s why the police are so concerned about the ability of the shooter in his application for a “very powerful rifle”. Makes a change from sheep
    Frodo, 40mm and csmiffy like this.

  6. #21
    Member 40mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Jaffa
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Yet in Perth in 1976 there was this petit little Aussie woman soldier that I took to see Elton John, Eric Clapton and the Who in the movie Tommy and then ............ sorry memory fading.
    I am confused
    Use enough gun

  7. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    23
    Wow. That logic is based on what? Where are the statistics to back up the severe control over these machines of doom?

    Maybe, and this is just wild speculation on my part, politicians over there excrete faeces at the thought of someone at a mile being able to disagree with their version of how the world must be...

  8. #23
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    25,289
    Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    I am confused
    It was just my way of saying I didn't WA nk while I was in WA.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  9. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    kaiapoi
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Wow. That logic is based on what? Where are the statistics to back up the severe control over these machines of doom?

    Maybe, and this is just wild speculation on my part, politicians over there excrete faeces at the thought of someone at a mile being able to disagree with their version of how the world must be...
    The cops and pollies over there just don't like them and there is a strong anti gun voice especially from the greens.
    Logic doesn't come into it.
    Bol Tackshin and 40mm like this.

  10. #25
    Member 40mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Jaffa
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    It was just my way of saying I didn't WA nk while I was in WA.
    ah, so clear now. the mental image is disturbing. thanks.
    gadgetman, Beaker and Frodo like this.
    Use enough gun

  11. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    98
    Problem is, having lived in outback WA for 6 yrs and been a licenced firearms holder there, that guys make up a lot of shit in the “genuine need” part of their application for a particular firearm, and get some land owner (who usually charges a cashie of between $200-500) to validate this “genuine need”.

    So in this example, this bloke has basically claimed that this particular rifle is for use on camels. Now the cops that have been told to review firearm ownership and weed out the anomalies know that about 0.0000001% of camels shot in WA are likely to be shot with a .408 that looks just like a sniper rifle. Well, for all intents and purposes, is a sniper rifle.

    The question they have asked him is why he can’t shoot his camels with his .300 Win Mag and be done with it? What is his genuine need for the .408? Not an unreasonable question. Shit, I shot camels with a .308 T3.

    Now the reason I’m playing devil’s advocate fellas is that if the licence holder had applied properly as a long range enthusiast with appropriate accreditations, no problem. There are lot of those types in WA in the Wheat Belt with all sorts of incredible rifles, no problems! Mistake he’s made, probably, is to try and play the rules. It’s the few percent that fib on their applications and get them passed that attract a lot more shit for the whole sport down the line when some jobsworth decides to go and check what’s out there, and why. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no fan of the Aussie rules regarding firearms, particularly the control of semi-auto centrefires for feral pigs, but in all seriousness, do you really think this bloke lugs this rifle across the Outback trying to get onto a mob of camels? I spent many many arduous days crashing around in a Cruiser chasing camels, if I’d pitched up with a .408 TAC I would have been laughed off the face of the planet.

    Sorry for the alternative point of view. No offense meant.
    Scouser, Woody, norsk and 1 others like this.

  12. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    kaiapoi
    Posts
    730
    some things just cant be unseen......

  13. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    kaiapoi
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Problem is, having lived in outback WA for 6 yrs and been a licenced firearms holder there, that guys make up a lot of shit in the “genuine need” part of their application for a particular firearm, and get some land owner (who usually charges a cashie of between $200-500) to validate this “genuine need”.

    So in this example, this bloke has basically claimed that this particular rifle is for use on camels. Now the cops that have been told to review firearm ownership and weed out the anomalies know that about 0.0000001% of camels shot in WA are likely to be shot with a .408 that looks just like a sniper rifle. Well, for all intents and purposes, is a sniper rifle.

    The question they have asked him is why he can’t shoot his camels with his .300 Win Mag and be done with it? What is his genuine need for the .408? Not an unreasonable question. Shit, I shot camels with a .308 T3.

    Now the reason I’m playing devil’s advocate fellas is that if the licence holder had applied properly as a long range enthusiast with appropriate accreditations, no problem. There are lot of those types in WA in the Wheat Belt with all sorts of incredible rifles, no problems! Mistake he’s made, probably, is to try and play the rules. It’s the few percent that fib on their applications and get them passed that attract a lot more shit for the whole sport down the line when some jobsworth decides to go and check what’s out there, and why. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no fan of the Aussie rules regarding firearms, particularly the control of semi-auto centrefires for feral pigs, but in all seriousness, do you really think this bloke lugs this rifle across the Outback trying to get onto a mob of camels? I spent many many arduous days crashing around in a Cruiser chasing camels, if I’d pitched up with a .408 TAC I would have been laughed off the face of the planet.

    Sorry for the alternative point of view. No offense meant.
    None taken-the rules are the rules no matter how stupid they are.
    BUT if you are a fit and proper person for one firearm, it shouldn't matter what you have.
    As an aside I believe that some of the English laws are a pain also. You can get a permit for a rifle and its your favourite, but if another one of these darlings comes on especially in the same calibre you may not get it as the question is asked "why do you need another one". I think it can just apply to calibres too-cant have 2 308's for example

  14. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Problem is, having lived in outback WA for 6 yrs and been a licenced firearms holder there, that guys make up a lot of shit in the “genuine need” part of their application for a particular firearm, and get some land owner (who usually charges a cashie of between $200-500) to validate this “genuine need”.

    So in this example, this bloke has basically claimed that this particular rifle is for use on camels. Now the cops that have been told to review firearm ownership and weed out the anomalies know that about 0.0000001% of camels shot in WA are likely to be shot with a .408 that looks just like a sniper rifle. Well, for all intents and purposes, is a sniper rifle.

    The question they have asked him is why he can’t shoot his camels with his .300 Win Mag and be done with it? What is his genuine need for the .408? Not an unreasonable question. Shit, I shot camels with a .308 T3.

    Now the reason I’m playing devil’s advocate fellas is that if the licence holder had applied properly as a long range enthusiast with appropriate accreditations, no problem. There are lot of those types in WA in the Wheat Belt with all sorts of incredible rifles, no problems! Mistake he’s made, probably, is to try and play the rules. It’s the few percent that fib on their applications and get them passed that attract a lot more shit for the whole sport down the line when some jobsworth decides to go and check what’s out there, and why. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no fan of the Aussie rules regarding firearms, particularly the control of semi-auto centrefires for feral pigs, but in all seriousness, do you really think this bloke lugs this rifle across the Outback trying to get onto a mob of camels? I spent many many arduous days crashing around in a Cruiser chasing camels, if I’d pitched up with a .408 TAC I would have been laughed off the face of the planet.

    Sorry for the alternative point of view. No offense meant.
    ...and there in lies the absurdity of the Aussie system: if the licensee is "fit & proper" all the other bullshit is academic...
    It is the Australian system that is broken - not ours...
    timattalon and Jexla like this.

  15. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    ...and there in lies the absurdity of the Aussie system: if the licensee is "fit & proper" all the other bullshit is academic...
    It is the Australian system that is broken - not ours...
    I agree wholeheartedly, the Aussie system is properly crap.

    But, they are the rules! Like it or not. And one thing I know from several countries now is that trying to get around the rules and getting found out just causes headaches for the rest of your fellow sportsmen and women.

    Interestingly, you know that politicians in Tasmania have started to openly question the suppressor law? They got a stern talking too from the luvvy duvvy Canberra types, the Social Justice Warriors in the Department of Changing Everything We Don't Like Just Cos We Can, but at least there are influential people in political life who are prepared to ask the tough questions, finally.
    Cordite likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Keep your firearms
    By 40mm in forum Off topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2017, 07:34 AM
  2. Powerful Stuff
    By 7mmwsm in forum Fishing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16-01-2017, 08:05 AM
  3. Firearms Amnesty - Yeh Right
    By Rushy in forum Off topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-01-2017, 08:55 PM
  4. Firearms: What did you have a go on first?
    By Ryan in forum Off topic
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 21-08-2014, 10:29 PM
  5. Who imports H & R firearms
    By 260rem in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2014, 06:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!