Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree511Likes

Thread: Why frontline cops should be armed

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Fuck the lawns but I did catch a nice Rainbow trout out Tarawera.
    We need photos or it never happened.
    Danny likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Was scared I'd drop the phone in the lake so it stayed in the ute lol
    Pengy likes this.
    Dan M

Was scared I'd drop the phone in the lake so it stayed in the ute lol
    Then you need a sworn affidavit from Gapped Axe.
    Danny likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

That prick would have kicked me out of his turf and taken my trout
    Pengy likes this.
    Dan M

That prick would have kicked me out of his turf and taken my trout
    Well he is the sheriff of Tarawera after all.

does a good job all told too. But don't tell him that though.
    Dan M

Ejected
    So ignoring the tube vs the world side of the argument and summarizing my position:

Do I think NZ will ever introduce concealed carry? No, not a chance in hell.
    Do I think NZ should introduced concealed carry? Yes, it's worth discussing even though it's unlikely to happen.

Why should we do this? Because every person has a right to self defence and that right is worthless if you don't have the tools to defend yourself. NZ is a safe country so generally this isn't something we have to worry about but there will definitly be people who are at risk and places that are more risky. This applies to both NZ police who should be expected to go into dangerious situations without the tools to defend themselves and the public of NZ (acknowledge that to own a firearm you need a FAL).

But wouldn't there be chaos with people shooting each other everywhere? This is the "think of the children" side of the argument and it comes down to culture. Every week there are groups of FAL holders who gather to shoot clays, targets, animals etc. During these events there are arguments etc and all the normal stuff that happens between people. Nobody gos and grabs a shotgun off the rack and starts shooting people cos thats just bloody stupid. Our culture says thats unacceptable and if you break that there are peanalties from both the social group you are in and the law. In the states if you have a CC permit and you pull your gun out and wave it around then you are breaking the law and will likely loose your CC permit. There is a culture around what is acceptable and what is not.

So what would change if in the unlikely event we were allowed this. Many pages ago somebody said that if a fight happend between a bigger and a smaller person then it would quickly descend into a gunfight. I see that as a good thing, if you are about to be beaten (potentially killed) by someone physically stronger than your self shouldn't you be allowed to defend yourself? The other effect is that people who beat others for fun would think twice about it cos they might have a gun...

In NZ if your house gets burgled then you are only allowed to resist if you life (not property) is in danger and then only with an appropriate level of force. If they have a baseball bat you are not allowed a knife etc If you grabbed the bloke and locked him in the bathroom until the Police arrived you would likely be charged with kidnapping.

In the USA there are a lot less burgleries because people who break into houses get shot. This depends on the state but if someone has broken into your house then you don't have to prove that your life was in danger, you just get to shoot them.

Now a liberal would say that a tv is not worth a human life and thats all bad but I say screw them, I want to live in a world where people who break into houses are more worried about their safty than the people living in the houses.

All of these opinions apply to the police as well. I have no problem with them being armed when the situation requires it and I think they shouldn't be visibly armed when it's not required. I don't think they (or anyone else) should have to risk their live due to lack of access to the right tools.

Would I use a firearm to defend myself in NZ? No because the legal peanalties are set up to discourage this and given storage requirements you would never be able to access it in time anyway. I would have to be convinced that myself or my family were about to die before I would risk my freedom that way. They can have the TV.

This is how far NZ has swung back the other way:
    *In the live coverage of the chch earthquakes members of the public where tearing apart the rubble to try and rescue pople. Police officers stopped rescuing people and then threatened the members of the public with arrest unless they stopped cos the public is not qualified to rescue people and stopping that is more important than saving lives.

*If you shoot a burgler then you will end up on trial for murder.

*If you hold a burgler captive then you will end up on trial for kidnapping.

*A helicopter who defies a medical ban on flying to save the lives of two people is facing up to 10k in a year in jail.

*You can't import pepper spray because apparently thats dangerious and nobody needs to defend themselves.

What the hell happened? When did we turn into a nation of politically correct wusses?
    Sasquatch and Jexla like this.

Years ago unfortunately.
    R93 likes this.

Congrats on the trout-bloody great work.
    Thanks for the kind words Brads- I did just that and with a coupla ales Ive built meself anew DIY gunviceas i cant find me other bastard.
    this comes about because we are having to clear out my garage (which features 25yrs of hoarded treasures) before its demolished and the section cleared in order to build two brand new Lockwood homes.we'll be selling one to clear our mortgage -so the big hecienda willbe ours mortgage free!yipeei fucking ah!
    massive -a quiet word in your rather large lughole
    Son-Dont call me "Tube"-its fucking gone OK big fella !!!!!its a relic with the arsekissers on the other side.
    Im not agin the world Massive,I simply look at it through a different set of glasses
    You know exactly where I fucking work and how long etc,so dont attempt to take the piss.
    Nuff said big fella -hope youre girdin the loins for Xmas and the hoped for influx of geese.
    me Im in hog heaven on ferals at present ,whilst the black&white cuzzies commute overhead.
    Im preparing the buffet for the canadas -Twill be like Brutus and Julius Caesar!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    @Savage1

8><----

That's fine but why can't we (civilians) defend ourselves?

8><----
    Because mostly its too dangerous and there is simply no need.

On top of that, frankly having listened to some in the AR forums as an example I wouldn't consider them mentally stable enough for a pea shooter let alone give them the ability to legally carry a concealed pistol on top of their E&B cat, yet its highly likely these very ppl would be the ones most likely to want to conceal carry.

No thanks.
    Pointer and Gibo like this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Because mostly its too dangerous and there is simply no need.

On top of that, frankly having listened to some in the AR forums as an example I wouldn't consider them mentally stable enough for a pea shooter let alone give them the ability to legally carry a concealed pistol on top of their E&B cat, yet its highly likely these very ppl would be the ones most likely to want to conceal carry.

No thanks.
    +1 where are all these people that think they need CC living?

Caretaker
    Auckland
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Auckland
    say no more
    steven likes this.

my thought is that if some of you were placed in a position of being confronted by a screaming foaming violence driven human out of the blue youd probably be changing your daks sooner or later ,and unfortunately I could also see a coroners report or two. Concealed carry - more trouble than its worth IMO
    gadgetman, Pengy and steven like this.

I agree tussock.
    I don't think anyone could add anything else to this thread which hasn't been covered already.