Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree511Likes

Thread: Why frontline cops should be armed

Bloody hell if I was a teacher the last thing I'd want is a gun............have you seen the kids of today.........
    You would not have enough ammo
    Or one of them would get there kits on it
    veitnamcam likes this.

Tussock I think you a right, but knee jerk reactions haven't helped in the past and long term strategies change every change of government, minister or commissioner. The crap that has happened over the s43 a form shows either no one knows what is happening really, or as I suspect the police cocked up they way they administered it and won't fess up. It's a fcuking shambles really. I do believe if you have a firearm and present it you have given away your right to life, no negotiation,
    madjon_ likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Concealed carry for 'B' endorsed general public FAL holder's? Anyone who thinks that's ever going to happen in this country is seriously delusional. You've got more chance of winning Wednesday night Lotto three times in a row than that ever happening.
    I agree with you but 20 years ago I would have also said that about gay blokes in the military and decriminalising marijuana. Both of those things have happened in the states and will flow through to the rest of the world baring weird backward thirld world countries like Saudi Arabia and Australia.

In the middle of the Cinton administration after the assult weapons ban you would have said that gun control will never get better in the states but it has.

Brazil is about to bring in US style gun laws because they already loose 20k people per year to violent crime and the criminals already have all the guns they want so why shouldn't everyone else be able to defent themselves?

Brazil Seeks To Copy U.S. Gun Culture

“Brazil is an extremely violent country and the state has failed to resolve this problem,” says Laudivio Carvalho of the Brazilian Democratic Movement Party, who guided the bill through a special committee of lawmakers, in a telephone interview. “The population needs the right to defend themselves, their family and their property as they are the ones being attacked. Ninety percent of assaults are being carried out with illegal weapons.”
    Grim, veitnamcam, Tommy and 2 others like this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Rather then currently being presented with rhetoric & anecdotal evidence that the police "should" be armed, actual data needs to be ascertained. Then there is a fair argument for both the police and everyday citizens for self-defence.

I get that CC for some people may seem 'over-the-top' & unnecessary in this country (and you are probably right...) but we have to consider there are some very run down and potentially dangerous regions in NZ where good honest everyday people with FAL's have to live. I don't think it's unrealistic or ridiculous for those people to have at least an option for home defence. It's more a natural right that goes far beyond the legislation we have now.
    This bloke is a good example of someone who needs more than a cell phone to defend himself:

Farmer credited for security in fuel theft | Stuff.co.nz
    Sasquatch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    This bloke is a good example of someone who needs more than a cell phone to defend himself:

Farmer credited for security in fuel theft | Stuff.co.nz
    Fucking arseholes. They were armed too. If the farmer was allowed to get thier attention by racking a shottie in the shadows, they'd have both the cunts in custody wouldn't they?

Also, do you like ""By their very nature farms are an attractive target for opportunistic burglars, given their isolation and the likelihood of fuel, tools and vehicles being accessible". - what a load of horseshit. What is 'opportunistic' about being on a farm in the middle of the night with a knife or whatever? They are just about trying to downplay it as if the toads walked into the bowser in the dark! They planned that, and there's no fucking way I'd believe that was thier first rodeo.
    veitnamcam, EeeBees and 308 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Like what Massive Attack said. With New Zealand about to become an extremely poor country, the lack of stability in our future may change a few things.
    My thinking is that if the whole country get to a point where the police need to carry firearms at all times to deal with the average public then the war is already lost and we need to re thing the laws.

For example if the cop who sits out on state the highway camping the stop sign, cheeking everyones speed using his radar gun needs to carry a firearm on his hip then they have lost,
    I have no problem at all with them " tooling up " when required.
    So long as "when required" isn't when on duty.
    Kscott and Cyclops like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    My thinking is that if the whole country get to a point where the police need to carry firearms at all times to deal with the average public then the war is already lost and we need to re thing the laws.

For example if the cop who sits out on state the highway camping the stop sign, cheeking everyones speed using his radar gun needs to carry a firearm on his hip then they have lost,
    I have no problem at all with them " tooling up " when required.
    So long as "when required" isn't when on duty.
    Fair enough comment. But criminals drive and carry weapons and don't like been stopped. If the police don't have guns on them when they need it then they are in serious shit.

For example, recently in America that cop got shot sitting in his car, he got out and shot the offender and now he's in custody. If he had the gun in a lock box, the criminal would have stood there till the cop was dead. He only ran cause they are armed and can defend themselves.

I agree it will be a sad day when police are routinely armed, but it will happen. Society is causing that.

Police just have to adapt, as will everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by jim160 View Post
    Fair enough comment. But criminals drive and carry weapons and don't like been stopped. If the police don't have guns on them when they need it then they are in serious shit.

For example, recently in America that cop got shot sitting in his car, he got out and shot the offender and now he's in custody. If he had the gun in a lock box, the criminal would have stood there till the cop was dead. He only ran cause they are armed and can defend themselves.

I agree it will be a sad day when police are routinely armed, but it will happen. Society is causing that.

Fair point that the criminals do carry weapons but think of how many stops the police make in a day and how many of them would be aided by the officer carrying a firearm.

We are lucky that it wouldnt be a blip on the radar unless they where going to use them for compliance like they do dogs, taisers and battons.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by jim160 View Post

Is that actually true though, or just media-fuelled fearmongering? After all, the police stats keep telling us that violent crime is decreasing.
    veitnamcam and EeeBees like this.

The Police will be armed full time eventually, it's only a matter of time. Unfortunately it will take more front line Police to be shot or shot at before this will happen. The reality is crime is changing.

To those of you opposing Police being armed full time, how comfortable would you feel doing their job? For example pulling over a car to find a loaded .22 or shotgun tucked down into the door card? And all you had was your OC spray and baton?

Or is it expecting too much for Police to be able to defend themselves properly while defending you?

Whats wrong with the traditional method of letting them go, finding out where they live and kicking the door in when they are in their jocks? Is the real reason they need guns total atrophy of the capacity to find people? I recall my mate taking a cops niece home at 2am and me opening the door to a large smiling man with an enormous mustache at 8am. He did not need to say he was a cop due to the mustache, but this was confirmed later. All I could think was, how the f*ck did he get there by 8am if we stumbled home to a random location at 2am? All he said was "I have come to pick up Sarah" to which I thought "well, that's a relief". Can't see that guy needing a gun very often.

If you have a rapidly expanding wealth gap and a police force that is increasing in power and armament alongside the growing wealth gap, where are you headed? Backwards.
    What happens if they decide to go and stab or shoot someone on their way home? Worst case scenario I realise but these are the worst people being dealt with.

Take a look at your own scenario...there's 6 hours there where anything could have happened before Mr Plod turned up on your doorstep...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew46826 View Post
    Unfortunately it will take more front line Police to be shot or shot at before this will happen. The reality is crime is changing.
    Please feel free to back up claims like that with evidence, it might be more convincing.
    308 likes this.

the societal harm caused by arming the police full time would be greater than it would ever prevent, this thread is gay & retarded

Whats wrong with the traditional method of letting them go, finding out where they live and kicking the door in when they are in their jocks? Is the real reason they need guns total atrophy of the capacity to find people? I recall my mate taking a cops niece home at 2am and me opening the door to a large smiling man with an enormous mustache at 8am. He did not need to say he was a cop due to the mustache, but this was confirmed later. All I could think was, how the f*ck did he get there by 8am if we stumbled home to a random location at 2am? All he said was "I have come to pick up Sarah" to which I thought "well, that's a relief". Can't see that guy needing a gun very often.

If you have a rapidly expanding wealth gap and a police force that is increasing in power and armament alongside the growing wealth gap, where are you headed? Backwards.
    Speaking of the wealth gap, look what Oxfam have said today...
    http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/world/...of-world-oxfam

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    Speaking of the wealth gap, look what Oxfam have said today...
    Richest 1% have wealth equal to rest of world - Oxfam | Radio New Zealand News
    Don't get me started on the scam bullshit that is OXFAM
    EeeBees, Beaker and jackson21 like this.