Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree511Likes

Thread: Why frontline cops should be armed

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Please feel free to back up claims like that with evidence, it might be more convincing.
    In my opinion

But then you only have to look at tasers...they were introduced and worn only when they thought they might be required. A recent change now allows them to carry one at all times. Why?

Reading this thread there are some extremely ill educated people on here, and some people who think because they have qualified at a particular subject at uni or some other institution they have the right or knowledge to say otherwise. Such arguments as they already have them in the car are ridiculous. When you are presented with a threat that requires you to draw your weapon it is too late to grab it from the vehicle. You need to have it on your person at all times so you can react immediately if need be. Better to have it and not need it than need and oh wait its in the vehicle hold on ill just go grab it!! Lets remember here it's about the officers right to defend themselves or take out the threat immediately.
    Gapped axe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    What if they develop acute paranoia?

You do a hand to hand combat class and realize you need more room than you thought to get the safety off. Then you take it off prematurely and shoot off your own foot.

Get a dog and an impressive mustache.

Compulsory mustaches I say.

When will the rain stop?
    How is this mitigated? Through good regular training with qualified instructors, by the way the glock is a safe action pistol meaning there is no safety on the weapon draw and fire. As for the moment of truth, no one knows until they have been in that situation whether or not they will choke.

Get a dog and an impressive mustache.

Compulsory mustaches I say.
    You might be on to something there you know!

Higher ranks could be allowed a full beard, and commissioners may look like an Amish lumberjack.
    Grim likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    You might be on to something there you know!

Higher ranks could be allowed a full beard, and commissioners may look like an Amish lumberjack.
    It may be a laugh for you fellas but actually talk to some of the guys that are on the beat or serving, now I can't represent everyone and it wouldn't be fair to say every officer would be the same however the ones I know are in favour of full time carry.
    EeeBees and Andrew46826 like this.

If they (whoever they are) decides to stab or shoot someone then someone may or may not get stabbed or shot. Or they might get rabies. Or struck by lightning.

I thought about what a criminal might do at large in 6 hours. But while I was at it I started to worry about germs on my hands and started furiously scrubbing them. Then I remembered I don't actually have acute paranoia and so I stopped imagining up horrific improbably scenarios.

Crime is 30% of tv and print news and 0.00000005% of actual events. Of that 0.00000005% only about 1% of those crimes of any physical threat to you. In New Zealand, on a spectrum of things worth worrying about, it does not make it on. Worrying about obscure improbable negative experiences will kill you far sooner.

Having lived in actual dangerous places and twice lived alone where people actually actively wanted to do me in, I would suggest rather than putting an armed cop on every corner, you just stop worrying.

Your nervousness makes you a mark. Its obvious a mile away. Watched my mother in law get all fretty because of two dudes in a car park recently. "They look dodgy" she said. They looked like painters eating lunch to me. Just relax. Nervous people get done over. Easy marks. You get left alone if you look comfortable.

I always love sitting somewhere and watching middle aged middle class people walking like they are on sniper alley because someone (me) has a black hoodie up.

You are 40x more likely to be robbed by a white collar criminal than a blue collar criminal. This is my least favourite statistic. With modern banking its closer to 100%

Just chill
    So while you had people 'actively wanting to do you in' did you take any steps to defend yourself if need be?

You're right chances are I won't get shot or stabbed. But then I'm not dealing with people on a daily basis that have charges for carrying concealed firearms in public either, or numerous other firearms charges, or some that have yet to have firearms charges, take Daniel Luff for example. Not to mention the other charges not related to firearms. And lets not forget that most violent offenders probably have a grudge against Police.

I'm quite certain if I had a Glock 17 on my hip I'd get left well alone whether I looked comfortable or not.

When will the rain stop?
    Sunny as in Hokitika, I'm considering digging up some of my lawn to plant my pumpkins

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Reading this thread there are some extremely ill educated people on here, and some people who think because they have qualified at a particular subject at uni or some other institution they have the right or knowledge to say otherwise. Such arguments as they already have them in the car are ridiculous. When you are presented with a threat that requires you to draw your weapon it is too late to grab it from the vehicle. You need to have it on your person at all times so you can react immediately if need be. Better to have it and not need it than need and oh wait its in the vehicle hold on ill just go grab it!! Lets remember here it's about the officers right to defend themselves or take out the threat immediately.
    I'd start by letting them biff a few snot bags in the ears than start with firearms. If someone hoiked in my face and I was armed, I'd shoot the barsted. Maybe I'm not a suitable person to be a policeman?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Sunny as in Hokitika, I'm considering digging up some of my lawn to plant my pumpkins
    Meanwhile your handguns are sulking with little use.
    Planting pumpkins sounds way more fun tho😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Maca49 likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Meanwhile your handguns are sulking with little use.
    Planting pumpkins sounds way more fun tho��

Have had gf here all day, she only just left...

R93
    Have had gf here all day, she only just left...
    Excuses😆

Sing out when ya want to burn some powder.
    I am home another 2 weeks.

Will be keen tomorrow or Thursday I reckon. Off to work again on Friday...

Interesting thread...I think police should be armed; the days of Mr Plod telling some errant juvenile twat to get away home have gone...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

R93
    Will be keen tomorrow or Thursday I reckon. Off to work again on Friday...
    Sounds good. Send me a txt when you're keen.

I worked my arse off. Basically a more intense version of the common sense that helps people not get robbed or mugged or kidnapped unarmed in any other society. Don't be an idiot and if you insist on being an idiot, don't do it in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    I seriously hope you're not referring to the Police with that comment?