Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 20 gauge semi auto

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I'll stop complaining about Gun City now. Shotguns are cool, get one.
    No problems and I certainly will be getting a shotgun in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

I own a Armsan 12gauge I bought from hunting and fishing about two years ago now ... think they still around the $799 mark .. very low recoil,synthetic stock which keeps it light.. really had little problems with the feeding(shot about 100 clays the other week with another noob "Cam" from forums only 2-3 jams,prob the "
    nuts behind the wheel" more than gun's fault .. Very easy to disassemble and clean.Mine came with 5 different sized chokes,so you can change them for hunting or clays etc
    Also found ,and have always found Great service at Hunting and Fishing.

Armsan

Go the Turks
    Last edited by seano; 07-06-2013 at 10:32 AM.

OK just been to the local dealer and been offered a new 20 gauge semi ATA in walnut for $850 including a gun bag and a slab of #5 ammo, 5 chokes AND he'll set it up for me with the shims etc to suit. He's even allowed me to have it for the weekend to try it out. Sounds like a good deal to me, what do people think ???

Cheers
    Bulltahr and distant stalker like this.
    Derek

Alexandra
    Central Otago
    www.alexandra.co.nz

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    ATA would probably be my choice of sub $1k semi auto shotguns. Old man has one & it seems to be well built & reliable. I went into Shooters World to buy a 20g one 3 years ago & walked out with a m2 benelli...:rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Tools not Toys
    Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    ATA would probably be my choice of sub $1k semi auto shotguns. Old man has one & it seems to be well built & reliable. I went into Shooters World to buy a 20g one 3 years ago & walked out with a m2 benelli...:rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Hahaha awesome! Remember that M2 can easy fire a million rounds though. Best in the world!!!!

@ Centralshooter, sounds like a great deal mate, you probably cant really go wrong with that!
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

Just gotta ask if you've considered used guns, ie, I saw a used Benelli M1S90 for like $1000 the other day

Did think about it for a while but in the end I'd rather have a new weapon than possibly be buying somebody else's problems. As I understand it ATA actually manufacture a lot if parts for Beretta, so I don't think their quality is too bad. The reports I've seen rate them pretty highly in the value for money stakes. I guess I'd consider second hand IF I knew the true history of a weapon but that's unlikely. I'll put a few rounds through the ATA tomorrow and see how it feels to me.

Cheers
    Derek

Alexandra
    Central Otago
    www.alexandra.co.nz

Yeah can't go wrong with ata. Know a few guys that have had very good runs out of them.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

If you have the coin buy a 20g Benelli with 5 chokes and mag extension. Quality never goes out of fashion. Simply a fantastic weapon and I have an MI and M2 but my son guards his like a hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    If you have the coin buy a 20g Benelli with 5 chokes and mag extension. Quality never goes out of fashion. Simply a fantastic weapon and I have an MI and M2 but my son guards his like a hawk.
    Really no point in my spending more than I have to. This gun won't get a lot of work and I doubt it'll get 200 rounds through it a year, so much as I appreciate where you're coming from it's simply not economic for me. I had to work hard to convince myself not to just buy the cheapest pump action I could get !!! So really ANY semi auto is pushing the boat out already.

Cheers
    Derek

Alexandra
    Central Otago
    www.alexandra.co.nz

I find in a 12g for rabbits #4s and above work ok, in winter you may find heavier better. Quite like 1/2 and 3/4 choke. High viz sights are great but you can pick up clip ons that go on the rib cheap as.

For grins I took this picture yeasterday, shouldn't be too much recoil with one of these
    Name:  flask.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  30.9 KB

Well I've put a dozen rounds through it this afternoon. I'm a complete novice with a shotgun so the recoil still surprised me a bit (wimp I know !!!), though after a few rounds I realised it was really just a "push" and caused no problems at all. The noise was probably the biggest "wake up" call after the .22 Magnum, do you usually use ear protection or not ? I didn't but I did wonder ? Guess if you're only shooting a few rounds over a period of time it wouldn't be too big an issue ?

Anyhow, overall I was pretty impressed, no problem hitting stationary targets out to 50m though that wouldn't have been a kill shot. Moving targets are a matter of practice I suppose. So, unless something comes up tonight I think I'll go with the local deal I have. Should please the anti GunCity lobby anyway LOL.

Cheers and thanks for all the help.
    Derek

Alexandra
    Central Otago
    www.alexandra.co.nz

Absolutely use ear protection!!!! Every shot is doing you damage. In theory you really should with the .22WMR as well unless it has a decent suppressor on it.

Quote Originally Posted by centralshooter View Post
    Well I've put a dozen rounds through it this afternoon. I'm a complete novice with a shotgun so the recoil still surprised me a bit (wimp I know !!!), though after a few rounds I realised it was really just a "push" and caused no problems at all. The noise was probably the biggest "wake up" call after the .22 Magnum, do you usually use ear protection or not ? I didn't but I did wonder ? Guess if you're only shooting a few rounds over a period of time it wouldn't be too big an issue ?

Anyhow, overall I was pretty impressed, no problem hitting stationary targets out to 50m though that wouldn't have been a kill shot. Moving targets are a matter of practice I suppose. So, unless something comes up tonight I think I'll go with the local deal I have. Should please the anti GunCity lobby anyway LOL.

Cheers and thanks for all the help.
    Buy some electronic earmuffs from the states if you cant find cheap ones over here. Keep both eyes open and dont shoot lying down...
    seano likes this.

UPDATE: FWIW I've ended up buying totally local so my thanks to all the forum members who made me question my options !!! Central Otago Sports in Alexandra (I assume naming a company is OK ? if not moderators here should feel free to edit) have done a great deal for me I think as well as allowing me to "trial" the gun over the weekend. So what's the deal ?:

20 gauge ATA semi-auto in Walnut with a slab of #5 (Gamebore, Signature, Pure Gold 20, 70mm, 30GMS) and a gun bag for $850 ($300 cheaper than Gun City even with their free freight !!!) plus I'm getting a 5 gun safe from them for $180 (nothing flash but it will certainly do the job bolted to the garage wall).

So, thanks again to all for their help, job done. Now to find out about earmuffs !! I'll start a separate thread on that.

Cheers
    Pointer likes this.
    Derek

Alexandra
    Central Otago
    www.alexandra.co.nz