Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 20g lead ban ?

Quote Originally Posted by john m View Post
    I love my 16 ga Merkel for ducks so I hope I never see 16 ga steel for sale. It was made long before someone dreamed up the idea of shooting steel out of a shotgun. It does give the rangers a rush of blood when they ask if we are all using steel and I reply no with a blank look on my face.
    So, how do the ducks know that the lead from your 16 or my grandsons 20 is safe to ingest, because isn't it ducks picking up the lead from the bottom of waterways what it is all about...and isn't there something about the width of the waterway that comes into it...all very confusing.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    So, how do the ducks know that the lead from your 16 or my grandsons 20 is safe to ingest, because isn't it ducks picking up the lead from the bottom of waterways what it is all about...and isn't there something about the width of the waterway that comes into it...all very confusing.
    The only lead that makes it into our pond would be from me having to finish off wounded birds as a result of steels ineffective killing power... Otherwise it lands probably 100m away from the pond (the stuff that isn't caught by the bird that is...). Out of the 40 ish shooters on ponds nearby that I know of, only one other shoots sub gauge. And that was only a result of witnessing the difference of killing power between the 3 inch steel hyper velocity ammo he was using and standard 20g 2 3/4 lead I was using. I now use 3" 1 1/8oz shells, the difference is more pronounced now.

I see in the 2014 printed Fish and Game regulations that there is a paragraph about banning of lead in sub gauges in Southland to be in force by 2017. "after careful consideration of submissions" was mentioned (they are obviously blind and deaf!) which is laughable. They were obviously pretty confident that it was going through when drafting the regulations for 2014. Luckily they have been set straight (for the time being)...
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Its 8% of adult hunters using a 20g its increasing hence the lead ban.

Its a load of shit, thats about all fish and game can talk. I like the bit about how they say they followed the international trend to phase out lead in 12g

That sounds right to me, follow the fucking "trend"
    VIVA LA HOWA

[QUOTE=Toby;229798]Its 8% of adult hunters using a 20g its increasing hence the lead ban.

Its a load of shit, thats about all fish and game can talk. I like the bit about how they say they followed the international trend to phase out lead in 12g

8% using 20 g doesn't mean shit ,as how many use 20 g as a upland gun only . Seems to be the trend with my hunting mates/ acquaintances . They still use 12 g on ducks and don't have a problem with steel at all .
    mikee likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

[QUOTE=Munsey;229886]
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Its 8% of adult hunters using a 20g its increasing hence the lead ban.

8% using 20 g doesn't mean shit ,as how many use 20 g as a upland gun only . Seems to be the trend with my hunting mates/ acquaintances . They still use 12 g on ducks and don't have a problem with steel at all .
    I'm one of those, 12g Steel for Mai Mai shooting on ducks, 20g for upland and jump shooting the backwaters etc. Of course the 12 is used with lead for geese and dry land ducks from the layout bind.
    mikee and Toby like this.

I'm the same, 12g steel over water 20g for pheasants and pigeons though I'll shoot a duck with it if it flew by
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I'm the same, 12g steel over water 20g for pheasants and pigeons though I'll shoot a duck with it if it flew by
    Same now that I have a 12g but I haven't shot at ducks for many many years
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

The real shame of steel, 20 gauges etc is its become a huge rolling argument and no one is going to back down.
    I personally think steel only was the worst thing to happen to us. Think of it, all the pro steel zealots argue, just let the birds get closer and pick your shots. Well suprise, suprise the majority of shooters are not expert shots, do not always pick the right spot and still like blazing away at long range. The argument of lead pollution in ducks is so far non existant.
    Most opening weekenders I would say, if we're lucky, may attend a duck shooters clay event just to blaze away at a few clays. Other than that their 'shotgun practice' is practically nil. I was with a group of duck shooters 3 weeks ago on clays and hell safety was basically non existant. Barrels lent on feet while loading and closing, gun waving all over the place, not to mention the lackadaisical attitude with semi auto's.
    It's probably all right of you are an 'expert' and dedicated duck hunter, but for most it's just a social weekend away with mates and an excuse to get away from lawns and house maintence.
    My view of it anyway.
    Munsey and mikee like this.

Id be interested to know how many birds the average licensed shooter harvests in a season .
    I suspect 10 percent of the shooters get 95 percent of the birds .
    I only used steel for a couple of years before moving away . I only shot ponds , and from memory it performed OK , but at the close distances just about anything would work .
    Unless I was shooting huge volumes of shells I would be buying some of the non toxic substitutes, Bismuth etc .
    I know its expensive , but shooters are funny " head in the sand" type people sometimes . They will happily spend vast sums on new guns , waders ,camo , jackets , gloves , hats, decoys , callers , motorized flapping ducks , fuel , accommodation , air fares ,food , booze , Transvestite hookers & blow up dolls ( sorry to give your secrets away Ron , but someone has to make it publicly known ) but then pull up short on the very thing that kills the target - AMMO .

Agree with you Ron about the safety side of things and the "Opening Weekend Warriors" , but at the same time ,those people are what makes Duck Shooting great . Come here to Queensland where there is no game bird hunting at all ( it is banned ) and you will quickly see what a treasure NZ has in the form of bird shooting .

Ken
    Uplandstalker likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Just attended another 'Duck shooters' shoot which has done nothing really to change my mind re safety.
    That said I did enjoy the day at Waihora with only a couple of dozen or so regular Sporting shooters and 80/90 duck shooters.
    They did have a safety briefing for every squad by experienced and Safety Officers which I think was a very good thing and should be applauded.
    Put on a decent gun and they come out of the woodwork. Just wish we could 'harvest' them for our regular club days and get them to join Sporting full time.
    Have a new u/o 16 ga. sitting in Auckland Customs so can't wait to have a go at the clays before the big day!!

What have you bought ?
    We must have pictures .

Ken

Found a NIB Browning 16ga U/O. Its a White Lightning 28" barrels.
    Don't know why really, had a 16 sxs and a new Browning Sweet Sixteen so wanted the trifector.
    Looking forward to some quail and duck shooting with it I must say.