Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: 20ga or 410 for beginners?

20ga or 410 for beginners?

My boy and I are going have crack at duck hunting this year. He is 14 and I haven't been out for at least 16 years.

I'm thinking of getting him a single shot which I'll trim and add a slip-on recoil pad. Should I get a 410 or 20ga?

410 can shot lead and has very little recoil, but perhaps a bit hopeless as a game gun, and just allows him a painless bang if nothing else. 20ga will kick a lot more for him but will allow to actually kill ducks if he does his thing right. At this stage I'm leaning toward 20ga, a wee single shot could make a good bunny gun for us as well.

I don't want to spend to much as the whole duck shooting thing may not be what he/we are in to, just going to give it a go this season. I'll be using my old SKB 1300 12ga for ducks.

I figure 28ga or 16ga too expensive for ammo and I imagine 16 will boot more than 20. Thoughts?
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

I used to shoot a H&R 20ga synthetic as an average size 10 year old and found it fine. I understand wood stock / brass plate or anything would feel a lot heavier though. Its a good gun, a bit heavy but only a few hundy second hand to buy. You can get good shells for ducks in 20ga if you're willing to pay the price for Federal Premium.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy decoys

Has the lad shot anything before, what sort of range, close pond or passing shooting?

remember lightly loaded 12 will recoil less that a 20, my 8 1/2 12g with oz loads recoils less than my 6lb 20ga with oz loads.

A lot of people give their kids light 20ga's and then buy heavy loads for them and wonder why the kids don't enjoy their shooting.
    300CALMAN, Swanny, schwen and 1 others like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

He has only shot rifles to-date. 22 and surpressed 223, so not really used guns with recoil at all.

Found with grandkids a single barrel was the most frustrating unit for ducks, missed the first shot 99% of the time, ducks gone before reload could be achieved. Found the pump action safer plus gave them a chance of second shot. Started them on 410 then 20 over a pond.
    Bent Barrel and schwen like this.

As much as i like my pump action 410, i wouldn't recommend them for a teenager. Ammo is way too dear.
    If I did it again I would have got either a 12 or 20g gas auto and used light loads. its a bugger with steel as a trap load would be ok. Then again you can get steel trap loads now

Gas operated semi 12ga with light loads,at least if he is not interested resale value will be good,my boy(11) and I share my A400 lite no trouble,traded my M2 for it as the m2 is inertia operated and kicked a lot more especially with steel.
    mikee and Dama dama like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Gas operated semi 12ga with light loads,at least if he is not interested resale value will be good,my boy(11) and I share my A400 lite no trouble,traded my M2 for it as the m2 is inertia operated and kicked a lot more especially with steel.
    I have an A400 Upland 20ga semi, I dont really get on with it but it is by far the softest shooting shotgun I currently own. Gas semis are usually the softest shooting but you may not want to start your lad on a semi?
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

go buy a fabarm semi, they shoot 1 0z upward with no issue. 410 and 20's will cost you a packet to feed. everyone here so far i go into fabarm seems happy. for a gun so light they just dont kick

Thanks team. Given me a bit to think about. I don't want to spend much, and now I'm thinking this season we can share my old SKB. I'll run some light rounds through it. Will have the added bonus of me properly supervising his shooting. If he is keen then I can look to getting him a left handed semi.

Years ago I took my youngest out on opening morning. He was about 13 to 14. He'd put the hard yards in building the maimai so it was time to give him a go. I'd got him a light 20 gauge, Rossi, I think. Anyway, about midmorning he turns to me and said, " Dad, this is starting to hurt" He'd fired quite a few shots and downed several ducks by then. I swapped my 11/87 for the 20 gauge and waited for the next flight. Long story, short, I quickly sold the bloody thing. Shortly afterwards I got my hands on a 101 20 gauge. We both loved it.

Oh yeah, he really has to shot a left handed gun as he is blind in right eye I don't want ANYTHING that would potentially hit him in his only working eye. Like bits flying out of a shotgun action.

If you decide to go .410 get in touch..... actually If you up this way call in,with shotgun barrel in hand and we can try my super duper Gary Cooper adapter..if it fits inside your break open gun you could have a loan of it... awesome for close in birds and it uses the .12ga choke so a full choke barrel will throw a lovely pattern out to 25ish yards.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

the tightly choked .410 single HAS a purpose and gives kids a purpose..it is absolutely wicked for finishing of woundies on the water.far nicer to use than any steel load in .12ga if you leave that job for the boy,he hinself HAS A PURPOSE for being there.he is doing you favour and helping you out....making them feel important is big part of them wanting to keep doing it.... and when spoonie drake comes in and sits at 15-20 yards,get them lined up then kick wall of maimai bird lifts,pop goes wee gun and they are hooked...heck my kids have shot swan and canada goose with single .410 loads of mallards too. my Mrs fired first ever shot in anger with my insert and dropped TWO mallard drakes......
    mikee, Dama dama and RugerM77 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

My single barrel Rossi 20g boots more than my gas operated 12g Winchester semi auto. You can still single load a semi until he has the hang of it.