Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By DavidGunn
  • 1 Post By Lentil
  • 1 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By csmiffy

Thread: Red dots on shotguns?

Red dots on shotguns?

Hi all
    Just wondering if those who have mounted a red dot on their shotgun for ducks would share their experiences about if it helped hit the feathered fliers. I have a Benelli Vinci and seem to shoot better with an aiming device. All thoughts welcomed.
    Many thanks
    Ruger7mm

They can be a easy way out if you have stock fitment issues, I found them to be slower than a traditional front bead and obscures quite alot of target picture.

Dot worked well on possums, ducks not so good but probably more a problem with me being a shit duck shooter at the best of times. As you are shooting with both eyes open and superimposing dot on target there is pretty much no obscuring....dot worked really well on bush stalking for deer but that was on a rifle.
    Growlybear and NAKED_GOOSE like this.

Great on possums and stationary rabbit . Unless on aeral targets as o found my eye focused on the dot not the bird

With dots you tend to aim automatically rather than using proper technique for moving targets at least that what i did. Ok for 3 gun when it was a "thing" but not so much ducks. Hi viz fibre optic magnetic beads are same for me in this respect
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I have two barrels for my shotgun, one has a RDS on it. Just playing around using it on clays I think they are better suited to targets on the ground. You may be able to get a RDS to work well on aerial targets but it's going to take a lot of practice and what do you really gain? In my limited experience shooting shotguns fit is everything. With a gun that fits and a little luck I can hit 10 in a row, no big deal. But with a badly fitting gun I'm lucky to hit 4-5.
    Hit the hills, live the BushLife!

https://bushlifenz.com

I did use and old school Armson OEG on my mossberg. I did well on rabbits and sometimes very well on ducks. It does make up for poor fit or shouldering of the gun.
    As posted if a gun fits you that is 99% of the problem gone. Then it is technique and the nut behind the butt.
    To be honest I did like it but goes against the grain for a shotgun.
    I did find at times I was aiming it, usually if I had a bit of time up my sleeve.
    When it was between rushing (this is when the force kicks I and I seem to pull off the reflex shots anyway), and seeing one coming from miles away, it did work quite well.
    I will also add that I am left eye dominant so my sight picture is screwed up. To do any better now I that i have lost some of my sight and reflexes have slowed down I would have to completely relearn my technique.
    Also being left eyed suited the OEG as it isn't a see through sight. It occludes or blocks the eye.
    As such I picked up it's use almost immediately and it probably helped a lot

Have no experience of using one on a shotgun. I would note that if you fit a rail then mount a red dot on that, your cheek may almost be lifted off the stock when aiming.

As everyone says , gun fit is so important.

I’ve shoot few hundred deer outve chopper with red dot on a shotty, not ducks I know. I find them better then open sights as it helps me focus on target faster

I'm no expert, but if the shotty fits you, then keep both eyes open and just concentrate on the duck. Forget the bead sight.
    csmiffy likes this.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

My brother had a red dot years ago on his shottie, don't think it helped him hit anything any better. I had a go with it on clays and really didn't like it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

It’s more about eye dominance and shotgun fit.
    If you’re right handed and left eye dominant then you’re going to find it hard. Same if the shotgun is not fit to you.
    Lots of threads on here on this subject.
    If you have a semiautomatic most now come with shims so that you can adjust the stock to fit where your eye lines up with the front bead.
    Find a mirror make sure the gun is empty close your eyes aim at the mirror open eyes if your eyes not lined with the mirror then it’s not fitting.
    Find someone to have gun fit. Then your shooting will improve…..and practice! LOTs
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

I "found" a morgan adjustable recoil pad laying in middle of a busy road one afternoon cycling home from work....quick uturn and it came home with me...fitted it onto my old SxS .12ga..it was possibly worth more than the gun...then I put dress mirror across the room...and kept tootooing with adjustments till when shotgun was thrown to shoulder,I looked right down the rib at my own eye looking back at me.....tightened it up and by hoki I shot a shit load of game with gun set up right
    it was eye opening just how much better I shot with it after that.
    Ive tried big fibre optic sight/beads....verdict is still out ..I did have one on that SxS but took it off shooting clays and actually shot better with bare rib...big orange blob was distracting for me.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Hi all
    Thanks for your feedback, I will try and get a shim kit for the Benelli Vinci and go from there. I seem to look down on the rib so getting the big shim might help. Again thanks for saving me some dollars.
    Cheers
    Ruger7mm

Quote Originally Posted by Lentil View Post
    I'm no expert, but if the shotty fits you, then keep both eyes open and just concentrate on the duck. Forget the bead sight.
    yup, that's how its meant to work, don't really need beads ion the rib either. having a proper sight picture to establish lead is important though.
    Micky Duck likes this.