Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: clay trap, correct way to throw doubles?

clay trap, correct way to throw doubles?

What is the correct way to throw doubles on a clay trap?
    I was sure that you stacked a pair on top of each other, but they just break up after throwing them.
    Same thing happened when placing them side by side.
    The make of this trap is called a "rota trap" seems to be quite powerful.
    See photo.
    Name:  20230325_191937.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  2.09 MB

SIDE BY SIDE WORKED FOR ME...the quail clays make it even more interesting with one of each on arm... try sitting them touching but make sure are back into arm properly...then try seperated.... then if and when all else fails read the plurry instructions,they will be available online somewhere.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Im pretty sure looking at photo,there is a nut out of site on end of the long bolt on spring...loosen it to reduce the twang/power factor,tighten to increase.
    Old_School likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    SIDE BY SIDE WORKED FOR ME...the quail clays make it even more interesting with one of each on arm... try sitting them touching but make sure are back into arm properly...then try seperated.... then if and when all else fails read the plurry instructions,they will be available online somewhere.
    I've tried that but the clays broke in the air. I don't have any instructions for this unit but would be interested to know who else had one of these units.

Im pretty sure looking at photo,there is a nut out of site on end of the long bolt on spring...loosen it to reduce the twang/power factor,tighten to increase.
    Yes I wound it out all the way, it was far too powerful how it was.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    You would have to place them side by side on that arm . Traps for doubles have two layers of arm so you can do one above the other
    My friends trap would launch doubles and it only had one arm.
    I'm wondering if the curved prong that is screwed on top of the arm? There is only one on this unit. Wondering if it needs a second one?

is there a thin plate missing??? that would sit under clays...looking at holes in arm,maybe for rivets??? tw oclats side by side,one under arm and another up against it towards end of arm,they should throw off slightly apart,both will have rim tucked under the back of arm itself..one I used all those years ago never had that springy looking arm..guess it sits ontop of clay???

I doubt that arms long enough to throw two regular targets, as someone said those traps have a double blade one on top of the other to throw doubles.
    The spring on the blade is so you can tip the trap nearly vertical to throw a "teal" type target, that spring on the blade should be adjusted so a target is held from slipping down the blade when the trap is in that near vertical position.

Place one target normally and the other at the front of the throwing arm that should work
    Micky Duck and Old_School like this.

Do you mean one in front and one behind the teal clip?
    Cause can't see that working?
    If you aren't going to throw near vertical targets take the teal clip off, then 2 targets will fit on the blade one behind the other, and should work.
    But they will go at 45 degrees to each other.
    If you want 2 targets to pretty much go in the same place a double blade is your only option.
    I have 2 of those traps here.
    Micky Duck and Old_School like this.

Yes, we gave a couple of old hand cranked traps that work that way. The clip is a bit confusing it probably positions a clay for straight away but might cause breakages with two. Try removing it and use a sharpie marker to show where the clay was supposed to sit
    Micky Duck likes this.

The clip is only there for when the trap is tipped back so far the target would slide down the arm,
    I doubt sitting a target in front of the clip would do any good, when the trap fires the target the target needs to be able to slide down the length of the blade and off the end,
    Old_School likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeetshooter View Post
    The clip is only there for when the trap is tipped back so far the target would slide down the arm,
    I doubt sitting a target in front of the clip would do any good, when the trap fires the target the target needs to be able to slide down the length of the blade and off the end,
    OK, that kinda makes sense, im not too sure what direction the clay leaves the trap, does it slide down the length of it following the rubber groove?
    Either way, I know my friends trap would launch doubles and it was just like this.

it slides outwards and flies off the end
    Old_School likes this.

it slides outwards and flies off the end
    Yeah thats what I wondered, im pretty sure my friends were stacking the two clays on top of each other and did it that way with no issues. Ive got a video of them doing it taken some years back, I need to dig it up and take a look.

do these have an alloy sheet UNDER the clays??? something like oven tray thickness....the gaping holes underneath them would seem to be great to add extra pressure points to break fragile clay,you MIGHT get away with a quail under a pigeon??? but quail would drop through those holes....
    Old_School likes this.

Yes the target slides down the length of the blde and leaves off the end,
    The rubber strip needs to be in good order as well, can't be soft rubber and must be smooth with no bumps.
    Use a coarse file to dress the rubber straight.
    I'll put a pic up of what a dbles blade looks like