Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By csmiffy
  • 1 Post By Perazzimx8

Thread: A5 Recoil Spring

A5 Recoil Spring

After taking my (new to me) a5 out over the weekend a shell kept getting caught on the way out every 2 or 3 shots.

After doing a bit of reading and watching some YouTube videos I thought it may have been the recoil spring. But after taking this one apart it doesn't look like anything I can find online.

This one has a long spacer thing with a small spring, instead of a long spring and friction rings setup.

Could anyone enlighten me as to what's going on here?

Name:  20230507_093508.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  2.11 MB

Cheers.

One of the newer models, not old school, like mine which I have my head around somewhat after a couple of fixes over the years.
    that one not so much. That is one of the newer types and more like a Benelli or Beretta. Firstly a good strip down and clean. I would imagine there is a spring for the action in the stock (from the schematic there looks like it could be two). That is still much like the old one. If that is fine, clean and oil appropriately. mechanically speaking it may have something to do with the extractor and ejector. The first needs to be sharp or at the least not chipped and then the ejector needs to be ok.
    From a schematic I have quickly found, the extractor looks like a small plug or screw much like an old 303. As the bolt comes back with the cartridge held in place, it will strike the base against the extractor and flick it out past the inside extractor which may be less sharp than the outside (bolt handle side) to let it do so. I also don't have it in my hot little hands so could be wrong but some of this is basically correct and hope I'm not mansplaining to you something you already know
    Also try some different ammo. That be be quite important if nothing else is wrong
    see attached link to a parts schematic
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...0-gas-operated

deff not a b2000 they have 6 pieces of springs and pistons on end of mag tube , just sold 1 and deleted piston pics or would put up try a b80 model instead I think they were made by berretta under contract

They made 2 different A5s. The classic long recoil version for about 1 million years and lately they have started making an inertia type system, the kinematic. Looking at the bolt head and the fact he said it was an A5 means it is most likely that model. But obviously does need confirmed by OP.
    zimmer likes this.

You're definitly not mainsplaing to me as im new to all of this, although i am confidant i can read the Browning A5 on the other side of the receiver. Thank guys this defenitly points me in a better direction. When i have bit more time on my hands ill strip it down and give it a good clean.

Looks like a A500 they made a A500g and a A500r. G been gas R been recoil operated. I believe the recoil operated one is a short recoil system not a long recoil like the original Auto 5. May just need a bit of lube in the right places I’m not entirely sure.
    csmiffy likes this.

@Perazzimx8 you are right, that schematic is for an A500 but they also do an A5
    https://www.browning.com/news/tech-t...tic-drive.html

Also to OP here is a bit of history and a brief test of the kinematic A5s and they make a very quick comment that they might not work if you aren't shouldering them firm enough but qualify that by saying that is the same for most inertia shorties.
    Maybe take it out and try that
    https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/bro...hotgun-review/

@GDMP Could be right too. The side of the action doesn't look like a new A5. OP will know for sure

Ah yep turns out its a A500-R as the serial number matches up with the 751PP part of the serial number. Which explains while i couldnt find 751 reference on any A5 reference tables.
    https://www.browning.com/support/dat...rm/a-500r.html

Thanks for the links & tips.