Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Best 12g shotgun

Best 12g shotgun

Hi there,

Currently in the the market for a semi auto 12g shotgun. Been looking at the Benelli M2, Mossberg 940 and Beretta 1301. (Can’t afford the m4 unfortunately)

Keen on hearing peoples thoughts and opinions on these guns, good and bad experienceswhich they would recommend or is there another?

Thanks.
    25/08IMP likes this.

If you can find a 12G Fabarm XLR these too are well worth looking at. Sister company of Caesar Guerini I think

Soft Shooting, Track really nicely, come with case, full set of chokes and sling swivels. Mine also has fore and rear sights that glow in the change of light making (red front dot and a green patch at rear to line up) making opening and closing of the day aiming so much easier.

Even as a lefty I bought a right-handed one and it runs (touch wood) without fault. I'm actually still keeping an eye out for a lefty of this at some stage they are that good. So if you can find a second-hand one you may get a great deal.
    Micky Duck and Baz036 like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

Benelli M2
    TeRei, charliehorse and schwen like this.

you can fall in the pond, grovel out, shake the water out and keep shooting with the M2 as it's recoil operated, the 1301 is gas operated so a bit more fiddly to clean and won't cope with a full submersion without a strip down/clean. 1301's were well regarded by sporting clays shooters as a nice pointing well balanced gun if hitting the target every time was the priority and both guns fitted OK I'd go 1301 if a functioning gun mattered over all else I'd go M2
    Micky Duck and schwen like this.

the best shotgun is the one that fits you and shoots where you are pointing it...EVERYTHING else is just window dressing.
    I currently using a bereta semi but would be jut as well served by the H&R pump it replaced...or the old mugica SXS the pump replaced.
    I shoot just as well with bakail u/o and my shell per bird ration is lower than the semi.

Agree with Micky Duck about fit of shotgun being the most important thing.
    I now have an M2 but I went with the wooden stock version as it fitted me better.
    However I have used much cheaper guns that just fitted me well.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

MB
    I like my Browning Maxus a lot. Zero complaints. Is it the "best"? No idea.

Benelli M2 Had mine for over 15 years great gun never had any issues.
    schwen likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    You may find this some help.
    https://www.randywakeman.com/shotgun.htm

Also these are back in production
    https://www.remarms.com/shotguns/aut...3-field-sport/
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Really like 11/87 in 12g, fit is great for me plus I shoot better with them than my M2 which I find is great gun but not as easy to do my bit with.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    The first question needs to be what do you intend to use the shotgun for (as there are so many things one can do with a shotgun)?

Now the Rushy answer (without knowing what you need it for) - Benelli M3. Inertia driven Semi Auto but converts to Pump Action to get you out of the shit if and when it happens.
    Uplandstalker and Micky Duck like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

As has been said before the one that fits is the best.

Personally I am a Beretta fan as 'grew up' through the semi range from 300, 302, 303 to 391's and just rate them (although did not like the 391 Extrema).

I am sure other manufacturers have a similar system but the shim system in a 391 makes it easy to get a better fit to an individual.

Last piece of advice is to get out and try the variations before you buy as much as possible.
    tetawa and Micky Duck like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I hated the extrema, tried to trade it after one weekend, couldn't hit shit with it , too big for me.
    Traded back down to the 391 Urika, over engineered but at least I could hit shit with it. Birds as well.
    Traded on a Browning Maxus which was in turn traded on a Stack barrel Miroku.

When I decided I couldn't live without an auto I bought a V3 , came with 4 chokes, it's never missed a beat.
    7mmwsm and Micky Duck like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Look into your mount, get some advice from someone that shots alot of clays and find one that fits.
    Dont listen to the salesman he normally doesnt give a shit just wants to sell you $3600 A400.
    I have wasted thousands on shotguns that i ended up being unhappy with.
    tetawa, Micky Duck and m101a1 like this.