Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By threefootsix

Thread: Khan K500

Khan K500

Looking at a Khan K500. Seems to be feature packed for the relatively low price tag. I know it's a Turkish built gun, but it seems like a somewhat decent build. Anyone have one, or have used one, and can comment on it? Cheers

Yep, I've got one.
    Had it for about a year now and use it for DTL/trap. Probably put about 15 slabs through it to date. It's a lot of gun for the money - you'd be paying 5k more to get an equivalent adjustable high-rib Italian gun or Browning.
    I needed a high rib to give my dicky eyes a better chance of seeing the bird and pretty much all the other options were going to involve having to sell a kidney (or one of the children) to get into. It's nice shooting 'head-up' once you've got used to it
    The build quality is surprisingly good. It's well machined - no irregular or crossed threads, uneven clearances or any of that. I've had no mechanical issues with it - trigger/action/ejectors have been flawless.
    The rib is robust and stays 'done up', the gun doesn't continually shake itself loose like some Beretta's (looking at you A400 mutli target).
    Like any O/U it needs to be well lubricated. Keep the pivots, sliding surfaces and forend iron lug/mech happy with Superlube grease. If you run it dry or have a penchant for slamming it closed it will wear and get loose prematurely. Be kind and it will last.
    The wood work is competently done and the walnut is hard (as witnessed when modifying the stock). My stock is pretty plain, but I've seen some that have got more figure to them. I'm considering stripping the stock back and refinishing it with oil.
    The chokes are the common Beretta/Benelli Mobil type so finding replacements or odd sizes is no stress. The choke 'effect' is very similar to my mk70 trap with INV+ chokes, so everything is pretty predictable in that department.
    You'll probably need to have the stock adjusted to suit you - they seem to come very long with almost no pitch. Of course this might suit you if you resemble a surfboard with a long neck, but I needed to take out a bit of length and give it some pitch.
    Is this a forever-gun that you would bequeath to your grandkids? Probably not.
    Will it wear as well or last as long as the Mirokus it co-habits the gun safe with? Unlikely.
    Is it going to give you fan-boy street cred or brand-whore bragging rights? Nope.
    Will people ask you about it? Yep, at nearly every shoot.
    Will it retain it's value on resale? At 2k retail it doesn't have a lot of space to depreciate but overall you'll lose less than you would reselling a 5k gun. Don't worry about it, you bought it to shoot it, right??
    Would I buy another one? Hell yes.
    Jamesyd likes this.