Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Three O'Three
  • 2 Post By Quackers

Thread: choke issues

choke issues

I've got and issue the chokes in my pumpy. The top of the chokes bore doesn't sit flush with the top of the barrels bore, this is all chokes. Anyone had this issue? I've taken it to several gun shops and a gun smith. 1 shop said don't use, 1 said its mint shoot away and the smith was 50/50, he said worst case scenario a wad may catch the choke a tear it out or the muzzle will slip apart. I tried to take photos but none would come out clearly.

so I take it,the barrel has been threaded on the piss???? did smith give you price to rethread it shorter??? which would be solution...eg cut off existing thread...which in itself is solution if you dont want choke....slug n buckshot barrel....... rethread shorter barrel and put bead back on....it was common enough back when steel first hit shelves,guys took in there full n fuller fixed choked guns and had them threaded for chokes...gunsmiths must still have the dies to thread barrels.
    some people have even been known to get all bubba like and put fixed choke in barrel previously choked and sawn off...and its worked....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so I take it,the barrel has been threaded on the piss???? did smith give you price to rethread it shorter??? which would be solution...eg cut off existing thread...which in itself is solution if you dont want choke....slug n buckshot barrel....... rethread shorter barrel and put bead back on....it was common enough back when steel first hit shelves,guys took in there full n fuller fixed choked guns and had them threaded for chokes...gunsmiths must still have the dies to thread barrels.
    some people have even been known to get all bubba like and put fixed choke in barrel previously choked and sawn off...and its worked....
    Smith said it was most likely threaded on the piss at manufactory and its taken me awhile to notice. I was shooting slugs the day I noticed this issue and using a muzzle break type choke. Smith also said what you said about cutting off threaded muzzle but I'd lose the front sight
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Ehhh... if it's the outward end that's pretty irrelevant to performance.

As long as the inside bit is a smooth transition from bore to choke...

You could probably take to it with a file to make it flush.
    Its the inside where the bore transitions to the choke

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Have you got the correct chokes for the shotgun? I ask this as I bought a shotgun form a forum member which came with only one choke. I went to Guncity, who were the original importers and distributors of this shotgun, and sourced some more chokes for it. The first set they sold me were not for this shotgun. They fit in much the same way as you describe here. I took them back and they supplied me with another set that they were adamant would fit correctly. Again a similar problem. I took these back and they basically just washed their hands of it saying they had no more chokes for this model to try and basically as they no longer imported them, so couldn't help me further. I haven't tried any further to source the correct chokes as I have little time and other priorities at this time.

Anyway, from what you are describing it appears to be the same problem I encountered and it is as simple as they were the incorrect chokes and some retailers who sell you these things....at times.....know diddly shit.....and are only interested in shifting merchandise.

Cheers
    Phil
    I've got the correct chokes

What brand of shotgun is it if I may ask..........?

front bead is VERY easy to redo...its a simple hole and thread job...eg sub $50 for any half decent smith or even back yard engineer with correct thread tap n die.
    if you not intending to use shotgun with birdshot at any range..eg under 25yards only....just get it cut off behind choke thread and have bead refitted...job done.

I wouldn't fire it. I had this happen on a remmy 1187 from new. The choke was a said threaded slightly on the piss... Resulting in the first time I took it out to try the choke spat out the end.. They gave me a new choke. Next one cracked significantly. The result was they gave me a new barrel. Problem solved.
    tetawa and Micky Duck like this.

UPDATE: Took it out for a shoot, put half a dozen rounds through it with 1/4 choke installed and seems to have sorted itself out, choke and bore are flush. F@&kin weird???

No.