Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: got wasted by young blood

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    My post was directed at other comments related to using beads.
    My shottie should have come with "beads", fucken prayer beads.

Cause at the moment only the almighty his-self could smite anything with it
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

R93
    That's it in a nutshell!!
    That's why I get pissed at steel shot advocates saying you need to become a better hunter decoying your birds for close shots to ensure kills. To justify using steel. Bullshit! They can't shoot for shit in the first place and by only shooting sitters they think they have seen an improvement.
    They wouldn't hit shit at a nationals or zone shoot. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Steel shot is 200fps quicker than the equivilent lead version. That has been my findings with the handful of rounds i tested.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Cause at the moment only the almighty his-self could smite anything with it
    Ha ha ha ha. Careful Mikee, that is bordering on the religious. We will have none of that on this forum thank you.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    They wouldn't hit shit at a nationals or zone shoot.
    Now that would be a fun afternoon R93. Boys on a hill with shotty' sand a clay thrower. Biffing cow patties into the distance and blasting them.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

R93

got wasted by young blood

Quote Originally Posted by Towely View Post
    Steel shot is 200fps quicker than the equivilent lead version. That has been my findings with the handful of rounds i tested.
    Has nothing to do with anything because steel is doing roughly the same speed as lead by the time it gets to shoot able ranges.
    MV differences between steel and lead accounts for fuck all with a shotgun and moving target.
    It is a good selling gimmick tho.
    I do not change anything in the way I address any target when using either. I still pull the trigger when it looks right and targets break or birds fold if I have my shit together.

Last edited by R93; 06-01-2014 at 06:03 PM.

I don't mind steel as such like they say get close but getting close takes a lot of fun out of it. I'd shoot over paddocks with lead over a river using steel any day
    VIVA LA HOWA

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I don't mind steel as such like they say get close but getting close takes a lot of fun out of it. I'd shoot over paddocks with lead over a river using steel any day
    Steel is fine for shooting over decoys but as you say it takes the fun out of it. For me at least anyway.

Toby likes this.

Has nothing to do with anything because steel is doing roughly the same speed as lead by the time it gets to shoot able ranges.
    How did you come to that conclusion. Or is it just because if you say its true then it must be
    And if steel is slowing up considerably to match lead at "shootable? Ranges" then it would imply that its not hitting as hard as lead would be anyway and is the reason why so many people hate the stuff to begin with.
    But then your argument would back up the anti steel brigade even though thats not your intention. Bizzare.

Breaking clays and stopping game birds are different things.
    Last edited by Towely; 06-01-2014 at 06:48 PM.

R93

FFS! Do some solid research then come back. Take it or leave it I don't care.
    I am only trying to help dispel some myths.
    You are also sorely mistaken if you think there is a difference in shooting a clay target to any winged game.
    Please explain that one to me.
    Yet another myth!

For those that know me, know I shoot slightly above average at national level but they like you, can choose to ignore anything I say, I don't have any major dramas hitting targets or game.

Last edited by R93; 06-01-2014 at 07:43 PM.

when i started shooting steel and kept missing sitters i sat on a hill and pondered what i was doing. The gun was new, steel was new to me.

About 60m away was a large concrete trough. I was carrying lead and steel as i was shooting parries in the field with lead then into the wet land with steel.
    I loaded a steel round, aimed at the middle of the front trough from a slightly elevated position and fired. There were a few spats on the water at the back of the trough but most missed.
    I loaded a lead round, aimed at the middle of the front trough from a slightly elevated position and fired. The centre of the spread hit exactly where i aimed and the front half of the water splashed.

Personally, i think my shotgun aims higher than it should due to the sight rail being higher at the trigger end.
    It also showed that steel flies significantly higher which i guess is due to the weight of the pellets but what ever the reason, it does.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Hitting breakable targets and stopping living things are different. Any fool can see that.
    The complaints that i see and hear with hunters and steel is that the bird takes the hit and after a stutter keeps going. It happens with lead as well obviously and ultimately will be bad shot placement, but i find it interesting that i have never heard bad things about lead shot from anyone while alot of hunters started complaining when steel was bought in. Why? Something must have changed for all these people to start getting iffy about a particular type of shot, literally overnight as it happened.

Could it be that 200fps difference at the muzzle is enough to make the shooter have to adjust their lead to allow the pattern density to hit where they want it? Not doing so would result in more wounding and less clean kills? Just a thought and my take on it.

R93s suggestion.
    Lets use 30mtrs as an example. If steel is exiting the muzzle 200fps quicker than lead but at 30 meters is now the same speed as lead is at the same range, one would assume steel is shedding alot of energy very quickly and probably has a larger pellet grouping at the same range. Not ideal for trying to make a clean kill. But it wouldnt really matter for trying to break something... thats made to be breakable?

For those that know me, know I shoot slightly above average at national level
    My dicks big too r93!

There are people that break clay targets and there are people that smash them into very little pieces . Clay targets teach you quickly if you are centering your your pattern or getting lucky fringe hits . As your experience increases you learn not to be happy with a chippy break . You happily take it as a 1 on the score card , but you know you we're lucky not skilful . Those smoked targets are a dead duck every time , those clays that just crack in half are your ducks that wobble but keep flying . Clays teach you to land the maximum number of pellets on your target If you honestly think shooting clays and the volume of shooting that you can do in a short period of time at a target that you can repeat numerus times to get right and master doesn't help your game shooting , then I guess we agree to disagree .

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

R93

I am glad your dick is big mate coz your to dumb to comprehend what I have been saying or just being difficult for the sake of it.

I doubt you could but try and work out the lead difference required using 200fps for an 90km crossing target using lead at 1200 and steel at 1400 target crossing at 40 m. This all assuming that the reduction in velocity between lead and steel is exponential which it is not.

See ya in a week or 2 after you come to the conclusion that there is no applied difference between the 2 in order to hit a target which is what I have been saying.
    I am talking about hitting targets as you know not killing them which is another issue.
    However they should go hand in hand if your doing things right.
    As pointed out in the above post.
    Look up some genuine velocities of a given lead load and a steel load of the same shot size at 30 m with them starting out at 200 fps different.

Last edited by R93; 06-01-2014 at 08:44 PM.
    mikee likes this.