Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Help in Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    fitter welder is a trade isn't it?
    yes.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Just!
    veitnamcam and Spook like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by 308jase View Post
    Hi mikee,
    His pump has three spacers and fits real good, plan was to take that measurement and make the new gun the same........but I have been known to fuck things up in the past so thought I would get some advice first........yup thought of Neil......

I will get the gun home and between the genius pool that exists here in Nelson I'm sure we can come up with something! (that doesn't mean you and you're sabre saw cam )
    I would suggest having look, I know roughly what it should "look' like and then let him try and smack some clays with it if its not to far off. Some of the guys you were shooting with on Sunday could probably help with fit too.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Cutting the stock down will unbalance the gun, I did a .22 for my son when he was thirteen, but really need to either weight the stock by drilling it and filling with lead, which adds to the overall weight of the gun, or cut down the barrel which you probably won't want to do with a shotgun. I just cut it off with a fine tooth blade on a drop saw. I kept the off cut which has now been reattached and looks fine.
    Can you get a youth size gun?
    Hi Maca,

Yeah I know it will unbalance it some what but if it fits it will be better than not being able to shoot at all!
    Yep will keep the piece of stock and add it back to it as he get's bigger, and no I cant find a youth size stock in NZ
    He was having a go on a 12g the other day and apart from the whole gun being too heavy he was doing ok....even managed to hit a couple of clays.....he was super stoked

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Oh no hope I didn't offend you with the wrong job title just that some of the fitters in the port have a set of "fitting hammers" . One guy even had an "adjustable hammer" And I have watched them "fitting" stuff
    None taken, big difference though, one is a 40min practical test of one type of welding and the other is 8000hrs of practical training and courses.

And the technical term for adjustable hammer is "Knockometer"

Also accepted would be "Rhythm stick" or "welcoming handle"
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Holy crap!

These threads fall apart faster than I can type.....hahahahahaha!
    veitnamcam, Pointer, Spook and 1 others like this.

Being a shotgun it should be lighter hopefully in the barrels, you could put a hook on the butt plate to catch some of the weigh under the arm, if it doesn't interfere with the swing
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Holy crap!

These threads fall apart faster than I can type.....hahahahahaha!
    Bloody tradesmen!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Hi Maca,

Yeah I know it will unbalance it some what but if it fits it will be better than not being able to shoot at all!
    Yep will keep the piece of stock and add it back to it as he get's bigger, and no I cant find a youth size stock in NZ
    He was having a go on a 12g the other day and apart from the whole gun being too heavy he was doing ok....even managed to hit a couple of clays.....he was super stoked
    Wait till we get him out with us!! You might need share in clay target and ammo factories. New traps hous supposed to be going in today too

This might help with the gun fit thing, more along the showing you what to look for in "fit"

Last edited by mikee; 12-06-2014 at 09:43 PM.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Muzzle control!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Wait till we get him out with us!! You might need share in clay target and ammo factories. New traps hous supposed to be going in today too

This might help with the gun fit thing, more along the showing you what to look for in "fit"

Yeah my brother was out there today (carting rocks) and saw the retired gentleman with the new delivery!

I have watched that one before and it helped me, but I will still take you up on your offer and bring the gun around when it gets here.

What discipline of " Clays " is your son shooting ?
    Trap , Skeet , Sporting ?
    Why is the pump frowned upon .
    If its the Nelson Waimea gun club you have joined , then things must have changed a lot over the last 10 years .

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    What discipline of " Clays " is your son shooting ?
    Trap , Skeet , Sporting ?
    Why is the pump frowned upon .
    If its the Nelson Waimea gun club you have joined , then things must have changed a lot over the last 10 years .

Ken
    Hi Ken,

He took a real shine to the skeet but the whole reason we joined is to learn to shoot better and he is only ten, apparently pump guns were ok but now they prefer an auto.

He had a single 20 but it kicked like hell, so we went looking for a gun that we could shoot at the club and hunt with safely....seemed like a pump gun was a good compromise at the time.

We have only joined recently so things may have been different, Some of the guy's we have met up there have been great but rules is rules!

Never mind, now I get to buy a new gun (I think it's how women feel when they buy shoes!)

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

Help in Nelson

There is no 'rules' regarding pumps etc
    I have shot my best round of skeet 24/25 with a pump gun. 1st time on a pump ... Can't replicate it...
    Chris 'fatty' Skully would clean up most shooters on NZ on a clay field with a pump gun.
    I've seen him shoot skeet, trap and ball trap with one as a pisstake and beat most there .
    Unfortunately some clay clubs are lead by geriatrics that are blind to anything else
    Unless the club rules state no pumps when you joined then crank away!
    Most shoots at our club 30% would be using pumps.
    Mate of mine Eli can fire a pump gun quicker than I can an auto!! And it boots 5x as much as my auto and he will put box after box through it .. I'll pass and 'select' birds LOL
    Maca49 likes this.

Jase,

Try getting in touch with Joey @ KTWStockworks in Motueka
    ktwstockworks gun powders packs motueka new zealand.
    He would be a good local point of contact.
    mikee likes this.