Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Help in Nelson

Hey Jase, was that you down the river the other afternoon out looking for pukes with your boy?

Hey Steve,

Yep that was us, you were with your young fella about to do the retrieve on the duck?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    There is no 'rules' regarding pumps etc
    I have shot my best round of skeet 24/25 with a pump gun. 1st time on a pump ... Can't replicate it...
    Chris 'fatty' Skully would clean up most shooters on NZ on a clay field with a pump gun.
    I've seen him shoot skeet, trap and ball trap with one as a pisstake and beat most there .
    Unfortunately some clay clubs are lead by geriatrics that are blind to anything else
    Unless the club rules state no pumps when you joined then crank away!
    Most shoots at our club 30% would be using pumps.
    Mate of mine Eli can fire a pump gun quicker than I can an auto!! And it boots 5x as much as my auto and he will put box after box through it .. I'll pass and 'select' birds LOL
    Yeah I get the feeling that could be the case with a couple of the members.........like I said we have met guy's up there that have been fantastic at offering their time and help, but when your new you try not to ruffle the feathers of the older birds

Stop blaming the oldies, witout them you wouldnt have a club, bloody hanger ons
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Stop blaming the oldies, witout them you wouldnt have a club, bloody hanger ons
    Ha Ha without the newbies the same applies........
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    There is no 'rules' regarding pumps etc
    I have shot my best round of skeet 24/25 with a pump gun. 1st time on a pump ... Can't replicate it...
    Chris 'fatty' Skully would clean up most shooters on NZ on a clay field with a pump gun.
    I've seen him shoot skeet, trap and ball trap with one as a pisstake and beat most there .
    Unfortunately some clay clubs are lead by geriatrics that are blind to anything else
    Unless the club rules state no pumps when you joined then crank away!
    Most shoots at our club 30% would be using pumps.
    Mate of mine Eli can fire a pump gun quicker than I can an auto!! And it boots 5x as much as my auto and he will put box after box through it .. I'll pass and 'select' birds LOL
    Chris S whipped our butts using a mossberg pump action .410 at one shoot, smoking fast 40 yard crossers with it too.

While him and I don't really "get on" the man could use a 4x2 for a stock andpipe taped on it for a barrel and still win. He can shoot!!
    I have seen him hit clays at almost unbelievable distances regularly
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I have seen him hit clays at almost unbelievable distances regularly

How are you measuring those distances ?
    From the muzzle , or from his gut ?
    There is quite a difference between the two and it could give a false impression of the distance .
    He's actually standing quite close to those long birds , its just his gun that's further back .

Ken
    veitnamcam and mikee like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by 308jase View Post
    Hey Steve,

Yep that was us, you were with your young fella about to do the retrieve on the duck?
    Yip we got the duck with no help by the dog. Was a bit of a mission
    308jase likes this.

I would be asking where it says in the range standing orders, club constitution or NZCTA rules that a pump cant be used. It is the attitude of "those sorts of guns are not suitable" that costs the sport and clubs members.
    veitnamcam, Toby and BRADS like this.

The shooting sports in general seem to be shooting themselves in the foot literally with silly rules that turn away new members.

If you want your sport to survive you NEED new members and lots of them!

Welcome and nurture anyone who turns up!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Well, after getting our hands on a couple of 20g u/o guns today it turns out the longer barrel's just unbalance him too much and he struggles,

Looks like we will be sticking with the little pump for a while longer!

Thanks for the help and offers guy's,

Cheer's
    Jase
    Maca49 likes this.

I shot my first clay target ever up at the Golden Downs club .
    I have shot a few more since then .
    Any club or squad of shooters that doesn't allow a new junior shooter to shoot their round of Skeet as all singles should hang their heads in shame .
    If they have a misguided notion that the doubles pose a safety concern for a novice with a pump gun , then eliminate that obstacle and shoot all singles loading a single cartridge in the gun each target .
    Once they have shown a real understanding and competency they then should move onto shooting a normal round which includes doubles .
    I am on my local clubs committee and I'm often asked to take inexperienced or absolute beginners in my squad .
    I go out of my way , often to the detriment of my own scores on the day, to make sure their experience is a good one and hopefully send them home with memories of that indescribable moment when the clay disintegrates in front of their eyes .
    I'm just sorry I don't live there still , because your boy and you would be welcome on my squad any day .

Ken
    veitnamcam, mikee and 308jase like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    I shot my first clay target ever up at the Golden Downs club .
    I have shot a few more since then .
    Any club or squad of shooters that doesn't allow a new junior shooter to shoot their round of Skeet as all singles should hang their heads in shame .
    If they have a misguided notion that the doubles pose a safety concern for a novice with a pump gun , then eliminate that obstacle and shoot all singles loading a single cartridge in the gun each target .
    Once they have shown a real understanding and competency they then should move onto shooting a normal round which includes doubles .
    I am on my local clubs committee and I'm often asked to take inexperienced or absolute beginners in my squad .
    I go out of my way , often to the detriment of my own scores on the day, to make sure their experience is a good one and hopefully send them home with memories of that indescribable moment when the clay disintegrates in front of their eyes .
    I'm just sorry I don't live there still , because your boy and you would be welcome on my squad any day .

Ken
    Thank you Ken,

I only let my boy shoot singles and I stand with him and pass him a round only when it's his turn to shoot.

Were heading to the range in the morning so hopefully things go better this time...........if not then I think we will reconsider our membership
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 308jase View Post
    Thank you Ken,

I only let my boy shoot singles and I stand with him and pass him a round only when it's his turn to shoot.

Were heading to the range in the morning so hopefully things go better this time...........if not then I think we will reconsider our membership
    Good luck with today, our next one is july 20, Let me know if you want to come shoot. My other offer still stands too.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.