Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Ideal shotgun barrel length

ATA! I've have a couple of them also Benelli and Remington and under and over Aramberri.
    Bang for buck ATA and they do it in 24" and today with chokes the length isn't that important for hunting.
    KH
    Russian 22. and csmiffy like this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    All the big name Italians have Turkish barrels. Tells you something.
    Name:  7C06EC89-BA14-4DAC-9420-4664D136B687.jpeg
Views: 447
Size:  1.71 MB
    This is a Turk barrel. Stoeger that had a few through it.
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

26"
    Russian 22. likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Remington V3 26" barrel good price now, great gas operating system cycles everything from light target 2.75" loads to heavy 3" magnum

Or a Fabarm
    Russian 22. likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

X2 on the ATA. Recommended to me by the guys at shooters supplies for my son.
    Barrel length is critical but it all depends on what you need.
    If you are shooting fast moving things at close range then you can get away with and also benefit from a shorter barrel. The acceleration you get from trying to get onto target will assist in getting the right lead if required.
    Think of skeet guns.
    Not 18 though. 24ish although a semi is longer than an u/o with the same barrel length.
    If you are shooting at things further out then a little barrel length is very helpful to keep the barrel swinging. You don't want to stop as you shoot.
    26-28 are my picks
    Ultimately though it comes down to fit.
    If it doesnt fit you right and doesnt pattern where you want it, it wont matter how cheap or expensive it is. You wont hit shit all.
    You would benefit going to a gun club and some how try out different models.
    Last edited by csmiffy; 20-01-2020 at 08:26 PM.
    Micky Duck and Russian 22. like this.

short barrels are fun...BUT hearing what your Mrs is whispering in your ears is even more important...longer barrels take that noise away a LITTLE bit more,and the flame throw effect is way less....said it before and will say it again,with a shotgun FIT IS EVERYTHING.... a longer barrel helps with swing,a short barrel tends to lead to poking at target.no problem with stationary animals but not so flash on running /flying across the front reflex type shots.
    berg243 and csmiffy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    I've got a cheap turkish 18" barrel semi, love the thing. Cheap and nasty so throw it on the back of the ute and don't worry about it, it's got front and rear irons and 5 round mag, never had a misfire, FTF or FTE. Some people go for quality but for a work shottie I prefer cheap but effective. I only use it on rabbits and hares, short barrel is great for night shooting from ute. It replaced a 28" shottie, which was far too long and inconvenient for my useage.
    Sounds perfect for me. Just a do it all turkey and clay gun really.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi-Hunter View Post
    ATA! I've have a couple of them also Benelli and Remington and under and over Aramberri.
    Bang for buck ATA and they do it in 24" and today with chokes the length isn't that important for hunting.
    KH
    Will keep an eye out for one.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Remington V3 26" barrel good price now, great gas operating system cycles everything from light target 2.75" loads to heavy 3" magnum

Or a Fabarm
    Has Remington quality gone up? I seem to remember everyone bagging them after freedom group aquired them.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    X2 on the ATA. Recommended to me by the guys at shooters supplies for my son.
    Barrel length is critical but it all depends on what you need.
    If you are shooting fast moving things at close range then you can get away with and also benefit from a shorter barrel. The acceleration you get from trying to get onto target will assist in getting the right lead if required.
    Think of skeet guns.
    Not 18 though. 24ish although a semi is longer than an u/o with the same barrel length.
    If you are shooting at things further out then a little barrel length is very helpful to keep the barrel swinging. You don't want to stop as you shoot.
    26-28 are my picks
    Ultimately though it comes down to fit.
    If it doesnt fit you right and doesnt pattern where you want it, it wont matter how cheap or expensive it is. You wont hit shit all.
    You would benefit going to a gun club and some how try out different models.
    I will have a look at waitemata clay target club.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    short barrels are fun...BUT hearing what your Mrs is whispering in your ears is even more important...longer barrels take that noise away a LITTLE bit more,and the flame throw effect is way less....said it before and will say it again,with a shotgun FIT IS EVERYTHING.... a longer barrel helps with swing,a short barrel tends to lead to poking at target.no problem with stationary animals but not so flash on running /flying across the front reflex type shots.
    I use electronic ear muffs. Works a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I have a Mossberg 24 inch pump. Bought it because my 28 inch semi was getting knocked around on my bike (quad). The 24 inch barrel means the gun is not much wider than the bike so doesn't get hooked up on scrub etc. Screw in chokes makes it just as effective as longer barrels once you are familiar with it. Possibly quicker to point and great fun to use.
    Yeah I should have gotten the mossberg 88. Gun city had them o. Sale for 450 in 18.5 inch or 24 inch.

I think you be better off, with an older higher end semi, than a budget new one, last time I was in gun city,
    they had racks, of Remington 1100, Browning A5, and SKB 1900, etc, fit is very important in a shotgun, you wont shoot well with poor fit.
    to find out, Close your eyes, swing shotgun up in to a shooting position, for a bird, open your eyes, what you want to see, is just the front bead, you should be square with the rib, (centered), the rib should not show any of the flat, just a line. There is other stuff that comes into it, ie is shotgun comfortable to handle, feel natural.
    Oh and 26" is my personal choice,
    Got-ya, Russian 22. and csmiffy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    I think you be better off, with an older higher end semi, than a budget new one, last time I was in gun city,
    they had racks, of Remington 1100, Browning A5, and SKB 1900, etc, fit is very important in a shotgun, you wont shoot well with poor fit.
    to find out, Close your eyes, swing shotgun up in to a shooting position, for a bird, open your eyes, what you want to see, is just the front bead, you should be square with the rib, (centered), the rib should not show any of the flat, just a line. There is other stuff that comes into it, ie is shotgun comfortable to handle, feel natural.
    Oh and 26" is my personal choice,
    I am inclined to agree with yah.

Only thing with an older semi like an A5 you probably cant run steel. Have heard from a supposedly knowledgeable browning guy that the recoil impulse from steel shot gives the old browning a hiding
    SKB could be ok though.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Only thing with an older semi like an A5 you probably cant run steel. Have heard from a supposedly knowledgeable browning guy that the recoil impulse from steel shot gives the old browning a hiding
    SKB could be ok though.
    old skb yep. new ones are made in turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    steel shells tend to break the extractor in the remingtons after a bit not sure on other brands . i used to have a mossberg pump and it came with 2 barrels a 28 inch multichoke and a 24 inch fixed choke with rifle sights for slugs and buckshot type rounds. a pump is easier imho to use and safer as you can carry it with the magazine full and nothing in the chamber and just cycle the action when you have a target if doing more walking than shooting unless shooting in central then shove every cartridge possible into it and start blasting.
    Funny to say that. I think my mate with an 1187 remmy stopped using it solely on ducks because of similar small breakage issues.
    I have a Mossberg pump and have hit my fair share of things. Sometimes very well. And what you say about a pump is correct.
    I would prefer an old Remington 870 over it though, but still prefer a semi. Used to shoot better with the A5 and its just my fave.
    the old school gas shotties like the Remington's are nice to shoot though and if you don't need one to handle thousands of rounds of heavy loads would still be nice.
    Strangely enough the few rounds I have put down range out of the lads ATA semi seemed to have more slap/recoil than the Mossy. I Have ported it and have made a pistol grip/thumbhole stock for it but it still seems odd to have more. Must be the stock I reckon
    Russian 22. likes this.

how about 300 bucks for a new shorter remy 26inch barrel.
    I have shot claYS WITH A 21inch barrelled super full choked 870
    its all about fit and sighting plane aint it once you get out a bit..
    was hardcase distance wasn't a problem but muzzle blast ouch.
    you haven't lived till you,ve shot next to a over excited young'un with a short barrelled Mossberg.
    the mist over his eyes as mobs of geese batter their way in.
    hence hearing aides
    yes gadget the racing crayfish is built like a pipe cleaner and could hide behind a blade of grass.
    but he seems to like his fabarm a lot .
    after the ranger 870 boat anchor from guncity im not surprised tho.

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    how about 300 bucks for a new shorter remy 26inch barrel.
    I have shot claYS WITH A 21inch barrelled super full choked 870
    its all about fit and sighting plane aint it once you get out a bit..
    was hardcase distance wasn't a problem but muzzle blast ouch.
    you haven't lived till you,ve shot next to a over excited young'un with a short barrelled Mossberg.
    the mist over his eyes as mobs of geese batter their way in.
    hence hearing aides
    yes gadget the racing crayfish is built like a pipe cleaner and could hide behind a blade of grass.
    but he seems to like his fabarm a lot .
    after the ranger 870 boat anchor from guncity im not surprised tho.
    I have considered buying another barrel.

Lol that's exactly what I have ha