Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: ideal barrel length for 223, is there a formula?

ideal barrel length for 223, is there a formula?

is there a formula for barrel length, am not that knolageable about this but a longer barrel make for better accurcy? shooting off the back of a truck so i dont need to worry about the length getting in the way( ie walking through bush would be better with shorter barrel) ive also been told 223 dont have such a "crack" with a longer barrel , and in theory the powder is still burning when the projectile leaves the muzzle so, if you dont need to worry about any restrictions what would the ideal length be for a 223?

In theory.

Shorter barrel =stiffer and more accurate.

Longer barrel=less muzzle pressure and more quiet.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Add shorter barrel less velocity
    Longer barrel greater velocity
    I think the "optimum" length is around 16-18 inches, all powder is burned, and the gases are beginning to loose turbulence.

Apparently 14.5" was chosen for the M4 based on the need for a compact rifle but saving soldiers hearing. From experience any shorter and a suppressor is mandatory.

Google barrel length velocity .223 and plenty will come up . .. . . to me . . . long barrels ( 24-26" ) are for stretching it out varminting . . . short barrels ( 16-22" ) are for light walkabout rifles.

dont get hung up on velocity, its important but not everything, how the rifle will be used is the decider . . . good luck

R.
    gadgetman, Micky Duck and Mathias like this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Apparently 14.5" was chosen for the M4 based on the need for a compact rifle but saving soldiers hearing. From experience any shorter and a suppressor is mandatory.
    -Any- length .223 barrel is way past the safe zone for hearing unsuppressed. 14.5" is damn short and I'd guess it's the shortest you'd go without excessive loss of velocity. Clearly portability was a primary concern if they chose that length, with hearing damage way down the list.

I had a CZ with a 24 inch barel and a tikka with an eighteen inch barrel, both shoot very very well, both suppressed. The rabbits couldn't tell the difference. I don't know if there is a perfect formula.
    Like Rossi said look at what your going to use it for. Believe me lugging a bull barrel 26 inch varmint rifle around the hills is no fun.
    P38, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

P38
    Can shoot my 16" AR15 very accurately out to 300m - 400m.

A better marksman could easily shoot it accurately even further.

I can see big benefits of having a lightweight rifle when shooting from the back of a truck.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

JWB
    Banned
    rupert, Shearer and Micky Duck like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    Google barrel length velocity .223 and plenty will come up . .. . . to me . . . long barrels ( 24-26" ) are for stretching it out varminting . . . short barrels ( 16-22" ) are for light walkabout rifles.

dont get hung up on velocity, its important but not everything, how the rifle will be used is the decider . . . good luck

R.
    Good words there.
    My walk around varmint 223 has 20" barrel + short suppressor, its a #4 profile barrel, so relatively stiff but not too heavy and I'm happy to carry all day. I chose this length for versatility not velocity.

GWH
    My little model 7 has an 18" Barrel, which seems to be a good balance of short and handy length without too much velocity loss with hand loads.

Ive shot it very accurately on little steel plates to 600 yards.
    EFriz likes this.

And you can handload to take account of length.
    to some degree, cut a couple of inches off a std barrel, no issues. Take it down to 16-18 and add a suppressor to regain 50FPS.
    I'm running 18inch, suppressed and handloads of 2207. Quickload gives me a very high burn rate has been achieve. groups well with 50gr Vmax (12-18mm 5shot group without trying. Fits well across the quad, carries easy.

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    is there a formula for barrel length, am not that knolageable about this but a longer barrel make for better accurcy? shooting off the back of a truck so i dont need to worry about the length getting in the way( ie walking through bush would be better with shorter barrel) ive also been told 223 dont have such a "crack" with a longer barrel , and in theory the powder is still burning when the projectile leaves the muzzle so, if you dont need to worry about any restrictions what would the ideal length be for a 223?
    If you aren't worried about barrel length then go as long as you can, any increase in velocity is an advantage.

The US military found that the short 14.5" barrel in the M4 was found wanting compared to the 20" of the M16, so some units would stick with the long barrel if they could.
    The only downside to a long barrel is maneuverability and a bit of weight, so if this doesn't matter to you then go as long as you like.
    So to answer the question, like all good questions in life the answer is:

There is of course a point were a few inches +/- make negligible difference in velocity but have a big impact on maneuverability.
    Need to consider if the extra velocity is worth it too you, if shooting long range and F-class then yes it is, but if hunting under 200m then it won't be beneficial.
    If all the powder isn't being burnt due to a short barrel, then just use a different powder.

In most rifles a good do everything length is 18"-22", going to the shorter end if using a suppressor.

It depends.....
    Shearer likes this.

This may give you a little insight
    http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/223rifle.html
    birch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    -Any- length .223 barrel is way past the safe zone for hearing unsuppressed. 14.5" is damn short and I'd guess it's the shortest you'd go without excessive loss of velocity. Clearly portability was a primary concern if they chose that length, with hearing damage way down the list.
    Actually there are a number of theories on why they went to 14.5 inch, remember the Commando was 11.5 inch. Unfortunately they had to fit a 5 inch flash suppressor and the 203 grenade launcher wont fit. If you have ever fired a 11.5 inch version, they are loud even with earmuffs.
    Micky Duck and Dusty Fog like this.