Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: ideal barrel length for 223, is there a formula?

Quote Originally Posted by hamishg View Post
    Cheers 300cal. Wouldn't foul the suppressor faster or anything? Any advantage going 18 over 16 other than a few fps?
    your 2" closer to target.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    your 2" closer to target.
    It'll be a few grams lighter at 16" and therefore less fatiguing to carry that extra 2"
    Micky Duck likes this.

TLB
    Cheers 300cal. Wouldn't foul the suppressor faster or anything? Any advantage going 18 over 16 other than a few fps?
    Quite a few of the cullers run 12" to 14" barrels and they shoot a fair amount of animals so 16" be fine.
    Mine is 15" or so and have no trouble shooting deer with it. Even out at 300 plus yards seem to die just as dead. I think projectile choice is probably far more important than barrel length to a degree.
    My last .223 suppressor was pretty shot out after maybe 1200 rounds. Sometimes 20 rounds may have been fired in a couple of minutes so pretty hard and hot. Zero maintenance. Not bad considering a full length .270 one done between 600 and 800 rounds.
    tikka, Dama dama and Micky Duck like this.

20" barrel(s) with fairly full house loads and my suppressors (DPT) last about 1000 rounds. Thats pretty much with no maintenance. They are such buggers to get apart.
    7mmsaum likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    20" barrel(s) with fairly full house loads and my suppressors (DPT) last about 1000 rounds. Thats pretty much with no maintenance. They are such buggers to get apart.
    Cheers gents, I'm looking at a DPT overbarrel on a t3x so minimum barrel length of 16-17" by my workings to clear the stock. Min length of 19" with a Maniatis. Are you running the stainless baffle? Presumably they'll last longer with intermittent cleaning? Other than zeroing probably won't be firing long strings of shots.

Cheers gents, I'm looking at a DPT overbarrel on a t3x so minimum barrel length of 16-17" by my workings to clear the stock. Min length of 19" with a Maniatis. Are you running the stainless baffle? Presumably they'll last longer with intermittent cleaning? Other than zeroing probably won't be firing long strings of shots.
    DPT say they must be cleaned. But I don't 'cos they soon get welded together by heat. You need to do it right from the start. But I fire up to 200 shots in a day and right from the get go that cooks the baffles tight. Mine don't have the SS baffle.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    DPT say they must be cleaned. But I don't 'cos they soon get welded together by heat. You need to do it right from the start. But I fire up to 200 shots in a day and right from the get go that cooks the baffles tight. Mine don't have the SS baffle.
    Cheers, I'll just get one with an ss baffle and it should last years with my planned round count

Im running a suppressed 16" 1'8 twist barrel on a tikka . I only went 16' purely for weight reduction. I do handload. In hindsight however I possibly would have kept and extra couple of inches just to push heavy pills faster. In saying that it is beautifully balanced and shoots like a dream .
    Micky Duck likes this.

Tikka is 18" with a standard DPT this time I have been cleaning it and grease the threads to stop locking up tight.
    No need for SS baffle with a .223 unless doing alot of shots in a short time.
    If you want it to come right back to the stock get a magnum

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Mine was 17.25 to get the mk11 magnum back to the forend on my model 7 it shot darn well the 55 gameking about a touch over 3100 I don’t use the stainless baffles on any of my rifles but I wouldn’t shoot more than 2-3 in a row ever

My 18inch tikka 223 with dpt can has done well over 2500 rounds and can still looking good,