Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Billymavs
  • 1 Post By akaroa1

Thread: Ithaca 37 featherweight deluxe

Ithaca 37 featherweight deluxe

Hi team, new to the forums here, although have been a long time lurker

For those who know, the old 37s are a pretty cool bit of kit as far as old school pump actions go, although few and far between.

I have one with the box from 1971 that was neglected at some point in life, left in a poor environment and unfortunately has gained some pitting and damage to the blueing and finish on the right hand side of the shotgun, a shame as it would appear to only have been fired a handful of times, as the action bar still retains almost all of the blueing.

Is anyone on here able to recommend someone (from experience) who would do an A+ job of restoring it to its former glory, as it is complete and unmolested and deserves some love

I would give it a go myself, but I’ve never blued, and I’d rather practice on something more common.
    csmiffy likes this.

Great shotguns
    Some of John Browning's better work

I have two Browning BPS shotguns
    Basically just an updated version of the 37

I’ve heard a bit about the BPS series, found the 37 first so ended up with that.

How are they with dirt and other ingress?, as one would make an excellent deer gun with slugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Billymavs View Post
    I’ve heard a bit about the BPS series, found the 37 first so ended up with that.

How are they with dirt and other ingress?, as one would make an excellent deer gun with slugs.
    @Billymavs they are just fine at keeping rubbish out
    That's the great thing about the design with only the bottom opening

My BPS 20 gauge 22" upland special is superbly accurate with Winchester solids
    They land on point of aim at 50m and group pretty well for sighting down the rib
    A change out rifled barrel with a red dot sight would be something special
    Billymavs likes this.

That’s good info to know, inherently the 37 is popular in the states for that reason, and remains one of the more prolific deer rigs to this day.

I would have never considered 20g solids, but I think you might be on to something there !

Quote Originally Posted by Billymavs View Post
    That’s good info to know, inherently the 37 is popular in the states for that reason, and remains one of the more prolific deer rigs to this day.

I would have never considered 20g solids, but I think you might be on to something there !
    I tried every kind of slug I could buy in the 12 and 20 gauge
    Found what worked and brought a heap of each

The 20 gauge was exceptionally accurate for what it is
    Sight down the rib and place what you want to hit on the bead and it would hit a dinner plate all day at 30 to 50m
    I just used to always have a couple of slugs in my belt if walking a river flushing ducks
    Just in case you spot a deer or pig

The Winchester numbers on the packet will be way off in my 22" barrel but a 3/4 oz 330 grain slug is useful

My son in law took a liking to my BPS 12 gauge and I don't expect to see that again
    But the 20 is a delight to use

Name:  20220929_093126.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  879.6 KB