Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Are pumps a viable option for skeet shooting?

loved the camera work.an amazing video.

ha ha not much to see in the dark
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

R93
    The question or title was, are pumps a viable option for skeet shooting.
    My answer is no.
    Every technique in wing/clay shooting is compromised by the need to cycle the gun manually.
    I do not know any reputable shotgunner using a pump for clays.
    If you just want to fluff around and shoot some clays, buy a machine and shoot some for fun and save club fees and holding up a squad pissing around and wasting time with an unsuitable gun.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    Aw common R93 , we are supposed to be encouraging people . I would suggest that anyone using a pump , being at a distinct disadvantage ( according to you ) is not likely to be "pissing about" on club championship day ( or what ever serious comp ) . As Scottichkiwi says he isn't interested in hi scores , just a bit of fun , and at the end of the day tis a far better place he be instead of blasting up road signs ( not that Im suggesting you would ). Last time I went to a club day it was relaxed , friendly and casual ( you always get a few wallopers who strut about the place with their Perazzi's , muttering about being overrun by yobs , and taking impolite amounts of pleasure in beating newbies ) and we were all patient with the slower shooters , shit ! I hope that hasn't changed , I cant walk without crutches and I havnt figured out how Im going to manage , probly be a bit of pissing about till I get it sorted
    I agree with R93 .
    Skeet is serious stuff to a lot of shooters , and yes in a competition I'm one of those shooters .
    I also help new shooters at our club that haven't shot before or very little , and usually never at clays .
    If they bring their own gun as long as its safe they can use it , but usually I don't get them shooting doubles until they have shot a few rounds , so the gun is only ever loaded with one cartridge .
    From my point of view during these times a Break action gun is just easier and safer .
    In my experience of teaching these new shooters the basics , there are two types of shooters .
    Competitive and social .
    The competitive ones will soon realise that a U/O is where it's at if they want to win .
    The Social shooter / hunter wanting to improve will soon realise that Skeet is a serious business to the competitive shooters and that Skeet isn't really that much fun after you have shoot it for awhile and been squaded with a bunch of Grumpy serious dudes who think the sky has fallen on them when they miss 2 targets out of a 100 target comp .
    Sporting is where those Social / Hunters with their pump actions find their haven and they usually have a much more enjoyable day out in my opinion .
    I shoot both , but my favourite is Sporting .
    I enjoy Skeet and shoot it competitively once a month but it is a game of perfection and Pumps don't cut it I'm afraid .

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

R93
    I stand by what I said. What is the point of putting time into someone that will not take you seriously?
    Encouraging people to get into any sport is all well and good.
    Wanting to piss around and waste other people's time just because you wanna laugh is not.
    Not suggesting that is the op's motive but having shot all over NZ and overseas I am merely pointing out you will definitely annoy people with that mindset.
    Showing up with a suitable gun so you don't look like a yobbo would be a good start I would have thought.

You can by a clay launcher for under a hundred bucks, box of clays for under 30 bucks. Blast away all ya want having a laugh for less than it will cost for 4 rnds of skeet.

I would only use a perazzi as a boat anchor by the way😊

I will have too give you serious shooters a blast against my pump gun at some stage. If you fullas are in the area I'm keen for a shoot off with your fancy guns.
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    I will have too give you serious shooters a blast against my pump gun at some stage. If you fullas are in the area I'm keen for a shoot off with your fancy guns.
    Go shoot 2 rounds of skeet Dundee.
    If you shoot around 47 then I will take you up on the challange.

But if I win, you have to go without tucker fucker for one year.
    I will be shooting at 50 targets on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Go shoot 2 rounds of skeet Dundee.
    If you shoot around 47 then I will take you up on the challange.

But if I win, you have to go without tucker fucker for one year.
    I will be shooting at 50 targets on Sunday.
    Where are we shooting? Can I bring the watties for the BBQ you know you want it.
    CFD

R93
    Ha ha ha see you in Greymouth on Sunday then😆
    I will send some repo men around yours to get all your watties if I win.
    I am sure there is a watties anomynous you can go to😂

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Ha ha ha see you in Greymouth on Sunday then��
    I will send some repo men around yours to get all your watties if I win.
    I am sure there is a watties anomynous you can go to��
    Name:  1782071_592615427473886_62898817_n.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  44.1 KB
    R93 likes this.
    CFD

I have shot a Remington 870 Wingmaster pump at four different ranges on skeet and have only ever been made to feel welcome when shooting it on those ranges. However I do all my three gunning with the same pump so my drills are very fast so I never break the rhythm of the squad whilst loading the gun. I think that is where the acceptance by the other shooters came from. I also take off the mag extension for a more modest appearance of the gun. I did have one guy tell me the gun was not suitable for skeet. This dude was a Beretta fan and I think he even had Beretta branded underwear on. I told him I was passing the hat around to pay for an under and over and he was welcome to contribute. He did not find that funny especially when his mates laughed and said he would be to stingy to contribute anyway. I think I really got scratched from his christmas card list when his gun gave him some issues and I asked if he wanted to use mine.
    R93 and 308 like this.