Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Shot gun 3gun

Ejected
    And then what do they do? I keep shooting because load time is so fast.
    Put another way, in the right place duck shooting we can continously shoot for half an hour or more. The auto ends up as a single shot and is a real pain in the arse costing birds. A double with ejectors is one long string of shots that doesn't stop.
    Getting 9 shots off fast is no big deal, 9 shots in five seconds or whatever is fine. Pull the trigger.
    Getting 50 off accurately and consistently is.

Hell, I use the auto spotlighting and it's great for that, same through the day on ducks for a bit of fun. The target being to get a bird for every shot.
    But when the numbers get serious the double comes out...

R93
    So we are talking ducks now?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Unless you quantify what you're doing with a timer you can't actually make any comparison, I would be very surprised to see someone with a double get off 20 aimed rounds faster than a competent 3 gun shooter

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    So we are talking ducks now?

Any shotgunning is the same, rabbits, ducks, targets it doesn't matter. Continuous shooting is best with a double, autos are fine for a burst but unless you are clip feeding good luck keeping up with a double 20 gauge with ejectors.
    And how many clips can you carry at once?

I do know of one guy that could do it with an old browning two (three?) shot auto, but that is not the norm.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Unless you quantify what you're doing with a timer you can't actually make any comparison, I would be very surprised to see someone with a double get off 20 aimed rounds faster than a competent 3 gun shooter
    15-30 minutes of continuous clays should sort it. Target every two seconds. He who hits the most wins. Quantified with your time limit plus targets hit.....

Ejected
    In fact I'll get a hold of @Bull Tahr and see when their gun club is having their fun shoots.

Given that the challenge was made in the context of a thread specifically about 3gun, a 3gun style exercise would be more relevant

Yeah I'd love to someone run a 42 round stage with a double barrel shotgun, especially seeing as a standard shotgun belt holds 25 rounds so you might have a full pocket...

my three gun shotgun Name:  IMG_20150516_172751.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  858.0 KB20 round mags i have a few

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Any shotgunning is the same, rabbits, ducks, targets it doesn't matter. Continuous shooting is best with a double, autos are fine for a burst but unless you are clip feeding good luck keeping up with a double 20 gauge with ejectors.
    And how many clips can you carry at once?

I do know of one guy that could do it with an old browning two (three?) shot auto, but that is not the norm.
    You are not making any sense or I am just lost.
    First challange was 20 rnds, you with a sxs and someone with an auto........at what?

Now your talking about continuous shooting at clays.
    Have you represented NZ with a shotgun in any dicipline or are you one of those, that assume you are naturally better than anyone with that ability?

You claim autos can't keep up, based on shooting at ducks sometimes on a pond?

Have you ever done rabbits out of a helicopter?
    We used to empty a normal bucket of shells every 40 mins refuel and carry on for another 40 mins from dawn till dark on some stations.
    We got rid of a literal pallet load of shells from 2 guns, one helicopter in 2 weeks.

Both guns are still shooting deer and have probably fired another pallet load of ammo since. Both were super 90 benellis.
    Can you clarify your 20 rnd challenge please.

I personally am new to 3gun and need to improve my loading speed but I have no trouble with accuracy on stationary targets and would happily accept a challenge from you at a skeet or sporting event using my auto.
    I shot my last major event in 2011 so I am a bit rusty😆

Last edited by R93; 05-08-2015 at 08:12 PM.
    Toby and res like this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    Yeah I'd love to someone run a 42 round stage with a double barrel shotgun, especially seeing as a standard shotgun belt holds 25 rounds so you might have a full pocket...
    Umm, mine holds about 90 at a pinch. Belts themselves are hopeless, pouch all the way.

Lose time with a pouch.... shells aren't all correctly/uniformly aligned like they are in caddies etc.....

Ejected
    R93, you know as well as I do that chopper shooting rabbits isn't technically hard. If your pilot is good, as most of them are, they have you shooting at the same range all the time. You also have time to reload an auto while pissing about.
    Why aren't doubles used? Can't deflect empties from them, but you know that to

As for the repping for NZ. No. Not rich enough for that carry on, but I've shot with some that have and a few title holders.. Always a learning curve and always interesting and entertaining.

Now if you want to sharpen your shooting up come out for a burn with the dogs. Let me know how the auto goes for you then....
    😆😆😆😈

R93
    Um ranges out of a machine are never guaranteed. Easy? Don't know about that. Depends on the country your working. A lot of people have that perception especially on deer but when put to task they always have a stunned look on their face after they get a grilling and their trigger arm is about to fall off after one 40 min run😆

I don't know many people that would get a pass mark after their first few runs and I have seen a few try.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Lose time with a pouch.... shells aren't all correctly/uniformly aligned like they are in caddies etc.....
    Doesn't matter with a double...