Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Summer Shotgun Practicing

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    M

Yep at Kumeu
    Any idea what are the costs to shoot at the club?

The first time I went it was $25 for 25 targets (I think!!!)
    Not sure how cheaper it is if you become a member.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Petros_mk View Post
    Any idea what are the costs to shoot at the club?

The first time I went it was $25 for 25 targets (I think!!!)
    Not sure how cheaper it is if you become a member.
    No idea. I have never been up there. Their email address is waitemataclaytargetclub@xtra.co.nz and their phone number is 4129910 if you want to contact them.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    No idea. I have never been up there. Their email address is waitemataclaytargetclub@xtra.co.nz and their phone number is 4129910 if you want to contact them.
    just spoke to the guy up there.
    $20 for 25 clays (non members)
    It drops by half when you become a member

$155 annual membership, $10 per 25 targets.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Petros_mk View Post
    just spoke to the guy up there.
    $20 for 25 clays (non members)
    It drops by half when you become a member

$155 annual membership, $10 per 25 targets.
    I am not much of a shotgunner (although I would like to I have never been duck shooting or chasing birds behind a dog) so have done a very limited amount of clay shooting. When I get my home built there will be a great place to do it though so I should be well set up this time next year.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I agree with Kawhia, R93 and Ground control. However, i think there is one thing that's been overlooked - tuition.

In another sport I was into I spent some time with a world champion in a coaching seminar. He would correct the slightest mistake in my technique, and say one thing over and over that has stuck with me ever since - "practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect!"

It is a saying I try to apply to everything I attempt to learn. You will advance a whole lot quicker with a top gun looking over your shoulder correcting problems with your technique , than just plugging away by yourself in a paddock. Half of the things he will point out, I would bet you weren't aware of...
    Petros_mk, mikee, Gibo and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I agree with Kawhia, R93 and Ground control. However, i think there is one thing that's been overlooked - tuition.

In another sport I was into I spent some time with a world champion in a coaching seminar. He would correct the slightest mistake in my technique, and say one thing over and over that has stuck with me ever since - "practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect!"

It is a saying I try to apply to everything I attempt to learn. You will advance a whole lot quicker with a top gun looking over your shoulder correcting problems with your technique , than just plugging away by yourself in a paddock. Half of the things he will point out, I would bet you weren't aware of...
    Great advice that
    mikee likes this.

yep but be prepared for 'throw that bloody gun away comment' or at the very least you need to get that gun fitted to you.

Petros_mk I have to take you to task on your comments, BUT with the greatest of respect!
    I am very heavily involved in a Sporting Clay only club in the South Island and think clubs provide a safe enviroment for shooting, not always apparent or observed in a paddock with a few mates and a thrower.
    Yes it is relatively expensive, but work out the cost (our club) of two large tandem trailers, around newish 30 Promatic traps averaging nearly $4000 each, plus remotes, and other paraphernalia associated with Sporting shooting.
    You also have the added cover of Public Liability within the NZCTA. Not to mention a NZ wide website of all shoot dates, results and articles on aspects of the sport from recoil to how to approach tournament shooting.
    As mentioned, unlike golf, rugby, tennis you can shoot in the same squad, dine with and freely ask advice of the best of the best in the sport from whichever country they come from.
    This happened all the time in NZ when George Digweed, Ben Brunton and John Bidwell visited, and still does with the top Australians. They were all more than happy to part their knowledge, and ofen held free impromptu shoot demo's and coaching sessions, ask Tiger to do that!!!!
    Our club makes a small amount on slabs (250) of ammo but it is still cheaper than some gun shops about, convenient and easy to buy a few packets or a slab from the office!!
    Yes it may be fun with a hand thrower with no rules but that against a full 100 target Sporting layout 24 traps and 8/9 stands adding abit of competition as abit of spice (even if only amongst your mates in the squad) its a no brainer really.
    Pointer and northdude like this.

Quote Originally Posted by madds View Post
    Petros_mk I have to take you to task on your comments, BUT with the greatest of respect!
    I am very heavily involved in a Sporting Clay only club in the South Island and think clubs provide a safe enviroment for shooting, not always apparent or observed in a paddock with a few mates and a thrower.
    Yes it is relatively expensive, but work out the cost (our club) of two large tandem trailers, around newish 30 Promatic traps averaging nearly $4000 each, plus remotes, and other paraphernalia associated with Sporting shooting.
    You also have the added cover of Public Liability within the NZCTA. Not to mention a NZ wide website of all shoot dates, results and articles on aspects of the sport from recoil to how to approach tournament shooting.
    As mentioned, unlike golf, rugby, tennis you can shoot in the same squad, dine with and freely ask advice of the best of the best in the sport from whichever country they come from.
    This happened all the time in NZ when George Digweed, Ben Brunton and John Bidwell visited, and still does with the top Australians. They were all more than happy to part their knowledge, and ofen held free impromptu shoot demo's and coaching sessions, ask Tiger to do that!!!!
    Our club makes a small amount on slabs (250) of ammo but it is still cheaper than some gun shops about, convenient and easy to buy a few packets or a slab from the office!!
    Yes it may be fun with a hand thrower with no rules but that against a full 100 target Sporting layout 24 traps and 8/9 stands adding abit of competition as abit of spice (even if only amongst your mates in the squad) its a no brainer really.
    Thanks Madds, something to think about....

Only my thoughts, I'm sure plenty would disagree!
    I know Gun Clubs are not for everyone, but I think that is changing. The old days of grumpy old men, bad attitudes and small introvert 'clicks' are largely gone. If clubs don't treat their new people as valued clients and act accordingly they will suffer. The discressionary dollar only goes so far in this day and age.
    I also appreciate not all shotgunners want to be involved in competitions, quite understandable, and I think the NZCTA is missing out hugely in $$$ because of their attitude to this.
    They do not understand people just want to go out and bash a few clays, have a laugh, BBQ and afterwards a couple of quiets!!
    mikee and hamsav like this.

I know Gun Clubs are not for everyone, but I think that is changing. The old days of grumpy old men, bad attitudes and small introvert 'clicks' are largely gone. If clubs don't treat their new people as valued clients and act accordingly they will suffer. The discressionary dollar only goes so far in this day and age.
    I also appreciate not all shotgunners want to be involved in competitions, quite understandable, and I think the NZCTA is missing out hugely in $$$ because of their attitude to this.
    They do not understand people just want to go out and bash a few clays, have a laugh, BBQ and afterwards a couple of quiets!!
    Much more relaxed and fun. I would not join the GC myself but never miss shooting with the group of enthusiasts who have got their own field set up at a local farm. Much more relaxed and bloody good fun. 100 targets on a sunday morning with BBq following
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Cost and time flexibility was the main motivator for me to keep away from clubs.
    That plus the first time I went to a club there wasn't much interaction as to how I should shoot, techniques, faults etc etc...
    it was more like "here is the ammo, these are the safety rules, say pull and bob's your uncle"... had they given more in-depth involvement my ears would be wide open but instead it was as if I went on a stag-do. Thus, I didn't see the difference between a club and a paddock blast on a Sunday afternoon.

I don't see myself doing fulltime clay shooting for competition, so the club may be the way to go to get the basics right, then I can do the rest at my own leasure as some have said already

I'd say thats a good compromise. If you are ever down in the South Island during one of our events let us know and you'll be more than welcome.
    The South Island Sporting Clay Shooters run a Winter Compak Series that's absolutely perfect for 'learning' and developing good technique.
    As it's easy for someone to stand behind and guide you a bit. Once you do get into a bigger shoot away from everyone but the actual squad, you can have some of the best days, with much banter and winding up.
    If you take it to the International level like some of us, you can make great friends Internationally and enjoy may nights out and learn much about the country you are shooting in from locals. Theres nothing better than being in a major shoot with a 1000 shooters and all with the same interest.
    Petros_mk likes this.

You guys must go to some pretty queer clubs. The one in the Tec park in Tauranga is cheap as chips and really friendly. No snobbery, all types of guns there. The pre-season eye opener is geared for hunters, really relaxed. One of the best shots there shoots a semi (and makes mean pikelets too)

Love pikelets!! Especially with cream and a good jam.
    The main reason we started the South Island Sporting Clay Shooters was to get away the old GC attitudes, and to have a Sporting Clays only club only. Not a concrete pad or lane to be seen, only two large trailers, 32+ traps and the freedom to go to any place the farmers are willing to let us.
    We also as a group didn't, to be honest, like the attitude to us 'gumboot' shooters, and the fact Sporting has the ability to make very good money for a Club which was usually squirreled away into skeet/DTL ventures. Not back into Sporting!
    I think we are doing it right, no club house, maintenance, rates etc. but the ability to find the best country and an added bonus is to get away as a group.
    This year we are running the National Compak in Oamaru next week, and the Sporting Nats. in Wanaka Feb '15, so I suppose its about a few beers, great fun, plus shooting fields the way we want, unencumbered by non Sporto's input and normal club restrictions!!