Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Quackers
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: W209 Alternative

W209 Alternative

Hi all. I'm loading up some 12g slugs, W209 primers are listed in the load data but are in short supply. Anyone know any alternatives to W209 primers?
    Thanks

well I have a lyman shotgun manual here...heaps of loads in it...and yes changing out shotgun primers does change the pressure BUT its not a huge amount of pressure to begin with...ME PERSONALLY will use whatever shotgun primer I have got on hand.... your slug wont be more than an OZ so its a light load to begin with.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    well I have a lyman shotgun manual here...heaps of loads in it...and yes changing out shotgun primers does change the pressure BUT its not a huge amount of pressure to begin with...ME PERSONALLY will use whatever shotgun primer I have got on hand.... your slug wont be more than an OZ so its a light load to begin with.
    Apparently the W209 primers are a medium primer and gives adequate pressure for slugs. I know fed primers are too fast for slugs.

The primers are probably the most insignificant part of the shotgun loading. Wad pressure is probably more important although tbh that isn't much either.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Peter
    Wad pressure would make minimal difference, as long as the wad is seated on the powder it's job is done,
    You can't compress a plastic wad and make it stay compressed to any significant degree?
    Federal primers have always been considered the hotter of primers you would find over here, every thing else is similar as in mild.
    Just my 2 cents worth

Exclamation

Don't overthink it, a slug of 1 oz will have less bearing area on the bore than a charge of shot of the same weight, that means it's easier to accelerate and in theory that keeps peak pressure lower. The brisance of the primer will have at most a very minor effect on the speed that a fast shotgun powder burns and hence pressure.
    Magnum and "hot" primers really only give a longer flame time to ensure large charges especially of slow powders get a good start. Where did that info about federals being . unsuited for slugs come from.
    Last edited by Marty Henry; 04-08-2022 at 12:01 PM.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Get in touch with Brian Thomson @ Te Puke. He sells a Cheddite equivalent-

brian.thomson25@xtra.co.nz

He sells powder and shot and is NZ MEC agent also - good dude
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...