Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What steel ammo for U/O for ducks

Thanks for the reply and that’s good to hear. I would also think the gun and choke manufacturers would be liable for court action if they didn’t warn people what the limitations of there products were. Eg dont use ammo above 36gms etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
    Last couple of seasons I've been running Falcon 2-3/4" 35g steel 3's through my Miroku mk10 - no complaints. I'm not an expert, but with a modern interchoke Miroku I reckon as long as you're not using shells longer than its chambered for or particularly tight chokes, feel free to run shells as high powered as your shoulder and wallet can stand. Interested to hear if someone considers differently.

Thru my SxS I use Falcon 32gram 2 3/4 in #4 shot. Works well, but all I've tried in it.

I shifted to Remington Nitrosteel #4 shot last year and think it improved kill rates quite considerably.
    I went thru a couple of slabs of Blackcloud in #3 and #4 this season and it went real good.
    Both patterned well thru my M2.
    Gfootey likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Any reommendations for 2 3/4" loads thu o/u oprned chokes?
    gamebore 30 gram steel or eley 31 gram stuff is what im using now
    found the kent faststeel little to much noise and recoil for a double gun

I've run Falcon ultra steel. 2 3/4 35gr in both 3s and 4s. When I had my o/u it was a honey to shoot. It is my go to load irrelevant of which shotgun I'm running and it kills really well at a cheap price point. Plus you're supporting a kiwi company too. Farmlands charges about $15ish a box from memory
    Gfootey and dannyb like this.

It’s definitely on my to try list!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    I've run Falcon ultra steel. 2 3/4 35gr in both 3s and 4s. When I had my o/u it was a honey to shoot. It is my go to load irrelevant of which shotgun I'm running and it kills really well at a cheap price point. Plus you're supporting a kiwi company too. Farmlands charges about $15ish a box from memory

Bus driver
    Any of the major brands work fine... #3 or #4 steel.... buy a box of each ... bit of trial and error to see what works best for you..... I’ve posted pictures here of the birds we take ... all shot with #3.... mostly federal or Remington..
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Bismuth?

I have 7 boxes of different ammo / brands/ gms etc and intend to pattern shotgun in next couple of weeks
    Micky Duck likes this.

Baikal u/o with open chokes would be ok woukdnt it?
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Baikal u/o with open chokes would be ok woukdnt it?
    well I DONT have a bakail U/O with open chokes
    I do however have one with factory half and full and SxS with opened/cut off chokes and another we reamed with chainsaw file in drill then honed with wetn dry on steel bar (ok ok we were broke so DIY was order of day) falcon 35grm loads of #4s work good...any 30-32grm load works fine...dont try using 35 or above load of biggerthan #3 steel or they CAN get all bunched up in choke area...bridging think its called..think auckland rush hour traffic going from 6 lanes down to four and you have picture of how choke works....
    kent work great.winchester Xpert is far and away my favourite load.... gamebore and kent same stuff. love the 3" 1 1/8th steel in #3s
    if you can find the winchxpert in the lighter weights grab it with both hands...awesome load.

Thanks @mickey Duck. I have accumulated quite abit of bismuth for my 12ga older guns but a young fella I am introducing will need a badic gun and steel shot. I've used baikals before and they are solid workhorses and affordable. Might be the go for him.
    My daughter had a 20 ga baikal u/o and I am wondeting if any decent 20ga steel will be available next season for her as well.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

think there will be...if you decoy ducks into the 25-30 yard range and shoot straightish...just about anything works..we shoot open water so alot of our shots get out there range wise quickly...we miss a lot of gimmies too...dont worry about that. having your decoys working right makes a world of difference,we suffer from lake levels dropping meaning we can be 30 yards from NEAREST decoy or out trying to hide in mud sticking out like pimple on end of ya nose....when lake is full life is bliss.
    DONT fall into trap of going for heaviest and fastest load for younguns...far better to go with smaller shot sizes and give them the easy birds and let them finish off ALL the woundies. they will make kills and feel a needed part of team without battering themselves silly and being put off.

It would want to be.
    Would be nice as I could use the old A5

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    I understand target products in Timaru (falcon ammo) will be selling bismuth cartridges (and shot for reloaders) for this coming gamebird season.I further understand the shells will be marketed at approximately half the cost of currently imported bismuth cartridges.
    Wow! I really like the sound of that; especially ifcthey turn out some 20ga as well.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

lets hope they get onto heavishot next season if this lot sells well...