Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Barking German Shepherd

ebf
    @Cordite, we used a citronella spray collar on our mental chihuahua/corgi cross thing. worked really well

leaving them with toys and something to gnaw on is a good idea as well.
    rugerman likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

When I lived in JHB we foolishly agreed to take on a sister-in-laws spaniel while she worked a contract overseas. Fark me that dog was neurotic. Also quite old, spoilt, entitled, lazy, useless, smelly, fuckwitted. You can probably tell I didn't like it much.

It started "separation anxiety" barking immediately - a yapping kind of strangled bark - would kick off the minute we left for work in the morning, and not stop all day despite the fact it had my two dogs as mates (the spaniel hated them). As per comments above, neighbourhood relationships deteriorated very fast.

I got a bark collar from the people that bred Rottweilers for the prison service. That sorted out the retard spaniel in a weekend. Dog would think about it... pause... whine a bit (which sometimes set off the collar)... but overall it shut up pretty much for good.

I've told that story countless times because that collar was one of the best things I ever bought, super effective. Was subsequently lent out a couple of times with great success, and then used again by us on a young Rottweiler bitch who would bark at our older dogs to try and get them rarked up.

It won't hurt the old boy. Top tip, like other training collars, it pays to have the dog wear an exact same look & feel dummy collar for a week or so before you go "live". Or just have him wear it inactive. That way the dog shouldn't twig that its the collar that's whacking him. I know we didn't do that with the spaniel and he despised that collar because of it, worked it out immediately. But we did with the Rottie and she never worked it out and wasn't worried about taking the collar on and off at all.
    Kiwi Sapper, Tommy and Micky Duck like this.
    Just...say...the...word

LBD
    Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    there are ultrasonic bark stoppers that emit a sound frequency rather than a shock. Cheap and cheerful from Tard Me . They have a reasonable range and apparently work well.

I am about to trial one with my old lab who has started yodelling in the middle of the night ......
    That is how my wife cured my snoring problem.... have not snored ...... or had a moments sleep for months.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    If its a older dog what has changed?? or has it always barked?
    New house.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    When I lived in JHB we foolishly agreed to take on a sister-in-laws spaniel while she worked a contract overseas. Fark me that dog was neurotic. Also quite old, spoilt, entitled, lazy, useless, smelly, fuckwitted.
    I think I know the type. Nose that looked like boot leather that hadn't been polished, cloudy semi-buggy out eyes, oily smelly coat. For some reason that's been my enduring memory of spaniels...

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Hi,

A colleague has to leave her German shepherd alone at home while at work, can check on him at lunch times, but he is barking, driving neighbours spare. Have had to put him indoors to at least muffle him. He is an old dog. Typical nervous German Shepherd temperament.

I threw in the idea of a electric bark collar, but hesitant to use this on the dear mutt though not close minded.

Any of you got some quick pointers how best to train him to desist from this barking? (She still wants him to bark when someone's at the door).
    How do you come by "typical German Shepherd temperament" is nervous?
    Pengy likes this.

Since it's in a new house, it Sounds like the dog is letting everyone know where it's territory is. distraction techniques will help, such as giving a frozen brisket bone so it takes him a long time to eat it ( brisket bones are good since they don't splinter). You can also get those hollow toys you can stuff with yum yums so he takes a while to get it out of the inside.
    There are of course many other ways, but I would try this before resorting to shock collars.

Suburbs of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
    Shock collar with remote. No need to turn it up. Lowest setting (tingle) generally will work just fine.
    On a weekend, put the dog in the back yard. Drive off like a work day. Leave the car down the street and walk back.
    Watch the dog without letting him know you're there - maybe from inside the house...
    Or let a trustworthy neighbor do it when you're at work...

Dogs usually show interest behavior just before barking. Every time the dog looks like he's about to bark, give him a short hit of the shocker. You're not trying to punish the barking as much as disrupt the dog's interest-response thought process. Do it enough times and the dog will still show interest, but will no longer bark. Works pretty quickly if you time the shocks right. May fail on beagles and other baying hunters. Too many triggers I guess or baying is just too deep a behavior to disrupt. This method also works well against car-chasing and garbage diving.

A regular vocal chord-triggered shocker will also work, but will stop all barking. Get a good one. The cheap ones can be triggered by movement, like scratching or banging it on steps, etc... Not good.

Just my experience. Probably depends on the dog and the situation as to what will work best.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."
    - (Patrick Henry, 3 J. Elliot, Debates in the Several State Conventions 45, 2d ed. Philadelphia, 1836)

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    How do you come by "typical German Shepherd temperament" is nervous?
    Maybe shorthand for very alert, bright, mind always on the button, requires distraction. Just experience based on a couple shepherds. Truly nervous other breeds do exist, yes.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Sounds like the dog is stressed at being left alone. Before you try the collar thing get the owner to record there voice. Usually at a dinner party or on the phone. Then get the owner to shut the dog in it’s space and play this recording while they are at home.
    Go in and out, gradually leaving for longer and longer periods of time. Usually over a long weekend.
    They also need a safe space a wire crate with a blanket over the top and three sides to make a cave. Leave the dog in here. Obviously if it’s hot it needs access to water. Play the recording from the next room.
    Try this. You must tell the owner to be strong and not go in when ever it barks. But just move near the door and back away again. If it still barks the the spray collars in line with the recording should show results. A video recording of the room while the owner is out will also be educational to the owner on what the dog is up to while there away. You could then maybe set up a phone call to talk to the dog through a speaker.
    I’ve seen this done here in the UK with very good results. Worth a try.
    OPS-4 likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WzlMjORQoKA @Cordite have a look at this and anybody else that is interested. Some interesting stuff.
    Could not find the whole program but some one smarter maybe able to.
    UK Channel 4 “Dogs Alone”
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Maybe shorthand for very alert, bright, mind always on the button, requires distraction. Just experience based on a couple shepherds. Truly nervous other breeds do exist, yes.
    Name:  Security detail on duty.jpeg
Views: 145
Size:  467.9 KB

Home security detail crew, on duty, calm and laid back, untill..............
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    cameronjackwhite likes this.

whats black/brown and hairy and looks good hanging off a burglers arse??????

Training collars on the way off the forum for this one. 7 months and 40kgs, well behaved until he sees another dog, then has a mind of his own. Extremely intelligent. Also kiwi trained so he can come for the odd bush walk once hes older and more predictable Name:  IMG_20190416_161908_005.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  388.2 KB

Once hes comfortable with dogs such a this one hes friendly as, just pulls and barks on lead
    257weatherby likes this.