Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Disrespecting the Pheasant

So long as the person in question is compliant with the required Gamebird Regulations for the area, then all good.
    prattpoint likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    I wish it was that simple . We have bugger all pheasants down here , but the ones I've shot it's the dog that puts the thrill into them . Let's face it they are not the most challenging to shoot at wing .
    When they come down the wind fast and high like these, is say they are a challenge to shoot Munsey!
    This right and left were in the UK and though I've shot hundreds, there are only a handful of birds I can truly remember that stand out.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nd0gRO69cVo
    Munsey likes this.

Like this Munsey?
    Pheasant time!!
    Name:  20140526_150511.jpeg
Views: 258
Size:  95.8 KB

My missus took afternoon off to take the mutts for a walk.

Sent me this just to wind me up. 1 Big Boy flushed on command
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt2308 View Post
    When they come down the wind fast and high like these, is say they are a challenge to shoot Munsey!
    This right and left were in the UK and though I've shot hundreds, there are only a handful of birds I can truly remember that stand out.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nd0gRO69cVo
    Love it! Had a fantastic couple of days in Norfolk last year, when the biggest storm in 60 years hit the East Coast. The birds certainly don't need to be high in order to be epic shooting, with a tail-wind like that they are simply incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by teFerrarri View Post
    Have had both our boys out hunting over the dogs in the last week, and got a huge sense of satisfaction from seeing them handle the dogs and the buzz they got from having birds produced in front of them. Neither bought game home but they loved every minute. Our tally for the season thus far is dismal but there has been some outstanding work from the dogs....... the way Im shooting at the moment I still couldnt hit the back end of a bus LOL
    I've got some etching brass here if you want it. PM me a postal!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

A massive can of worms here, the ethics of hunting.

Is driven shooting the same? Those guys shoot more pheasant in a weekend than what you and I do in a year. A celebration of marksmanship, nothing more?

So many interesting points in this discussion, Bill999 has some valid points. When they are rare and hard worked for, they are precious. When they are like they are here in the BOP, a brace under every bush , They do lose that value. Beautiful nonetheless, but common. The excitement they provide in sport is of more value than their presence, if that makes sense?

Which brings me to the next point, who are we to judge one mans idea of sport? He obviously derives pleasure from it, and good on him too. At least he is not breaking any laws, or taking advantage of others to do so. By you being more selective and focusing on your dogs work, are you (we?) better than him? Many people shoot pheasant with out dogs, or just a lab at heel to pull them out of thick cover or water they fall into. Are they worse than you because the dog work is poor?
    Last edited by Pointer; 28-05-2014 at 12:15 PM.

If you are asking me my personal thoughts then I will answer this .I personally don't think pheasant should be hunted without a dog -I would make this law if I could .The bag limit limited to 3 within 2 days .Who are we to judge another mans sport - I would judge another mans sport hence my post -its my opinion that if one is but a butcher of birds maybe maybe we need to consider altering this sort of mindset .Kinda like drinking isnt it -enjoying a drink and getting fuck faced every time you pick up a bottle "who are we to condemn another mans drinking habits ".
    Because a mans dog work is poor does that make him less -no but it depends on his mindset and intent .
    this sign says alot to me .I am glad to see most are in agreement about what would be seen as poor hunting ethics
    It reads " If at 50 years old you think as you did when you were 20 you have lost 30 years of your life " Muhamad Ali
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

He's not breaking any laws though? Just doing something you find distasteful?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    A massive can of worms here, the ethics of hunting.

Is driven shooting the same? Those guys shoot more pheasant in a weekend than what you and I do in a year. A celebration of marksmanship, nothing more?

So many interesting points in this discussion, Bill999 has some valid points. When they are rare and hard worked for, they are precious. When they are like they are here in the BOP, a brace under every bush , They do lose that value. Beautiful nonetheless, but common. The excitement they provide in sport is of more value than their presence, if that makes sense?

Which brings me to the next point, who are we to judge one mans idea of sport? He obviously derives pleasure from it, and good on him too. At least he is not breaking any laws, or taking advantage of others to do so. By you being more selective and focusing on your dogs work, are you (we?) better than him? Many people shoot pheasant with out dogs, or just a lab at heel to pull them out of thick cover or water they fall into. Are they worse than you because the dog work is poor?
    I think we do have a "breaking the law" issue here! On a pheasant preserve you can shoot unlimited hens and cocks. Outside a preserve fence there are rules. No hens and a limit on cocks. Pheasants can only be controlled as pests if they are proven to be causing financial ruin to crops?? Certainly not the case here?
    We all get the dog we deserve...

No one mentioned any breaches of the Game regs?

yes well we don't know anything for sure ! More to the point of this post is the point of controlling oneself and growing a good set of ethics that you can be proud of when rough shooting .There will always be those that do things differently ...

It shames me to say, but in the not too distant past (2002?) a friend and I went off Clements Mill road and shot 9 Sika in a period of 2.5 days. hinds with fawns, the lot. Why? We were early into our hunting career, and finally making sense of bush hunting Sika. It was proof of prowess, if you like. We both wore success like a badge, proudly too. Today I have trouble typing it on a public forum because I find such sheer waste embarrassing.

These days, I barely get out only few key times a year. I target stags, with more losses than wins to be honest. I turn down far, far more deer than I shoot. This draws comments from a certain group, usually people who justify the ' meat hunter' attitude in most NZ deer hunters, say you are a "roar only" hunter. They say that to try for better, to target stags is a bad thing, something only glory hunters do. What's wrong in striving for better, for more? I have certainly learned more when I stopped shooting the first deer I saw.

Your man obviously takes great lengths to shoot that many pheasants, and if he is doing it legally then there is nothing anyone can do. I'm sure he wears it like a badge also - "the justification of barbarous means by holy ends". However if you and Redhot are implying that he may have been breaking rules, i.e.. bag limits and taking hens. If he was, and you have proof, then call a ranger, there is no need for such waste.
    Munsey, gqhoon and Lentil like this.

Well said Pointer, not many would admit to what you have done in their past....respect mate, but as you went on to say, you have now 'refined' your hunting techniques, think that goes for the majority....i hope?

but then again, its not my place to put any limits, morally, ethically or otherwise onto anybodies shoulders....we hunt, therefore we are!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

until one see's a man take hens over the gun then one doesn't know .Good to see your deer ethic grew from start to now !! good on you
    Last edited by el borracho; 28-05-2014 at 02:49 PM.

That's it Scouser, If he is not breaking any rules, who am I to judge?