Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Dog Trials results and thoughts

I had a terrible run, picked up Enzo after the first bird - still a good say out!

it happens Jim-often,still fun though
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    I take it that's some kind of booze EB?
    A glorious Spanish sherry...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

una buena jerez de espana

Si!

HF1
    EB wrote: One expects the dog to do a fairly thorough coverage of the ground but recently I have been beaten by one dog that ran so frickeenn fast and long"very impressive speed and ranging " on the course rather than quartering the ground thoroughly I wondered had the end bird been in a completely different location would it have ever found

You'll be pleased to know that I think Steel was penalised for running too far straight ahead and not quartering the ground so well on the first bird - I was moving quickly to try to keep up with him but I thought he quartered better on the 2nd bird.

Laina did her usual stroll up the course (breaking into a canter once or twice for those who missed it) but found both birds quite well.

I enjoyed the day but would have liked a better result for us but it shows that there is a lot more work to be put in especially with exposure to birds for the youngster. I don't know if his stop in the trough for a drink and swim was penalised or not - I would imagine so.

Steel did impress me by coming back when called and sitting on the whistle to have his lead put on. It beats the usual scenario of trying to rope him on the run

hf1 I think if your not confident of a win then control your dog on the course how you want -don't worry about losing points as a loss is a loss is a loss if it is by 1 point or 100 points .There is a bit to be appreciated in keeping calm on the course as well -its a little different to a degree with handling if you think you are a serious contender for first place as you would probably keep the whistle out of your mouth but if not take control and teach your dog on the course -that may go against many that trial but were so niche I don't think you'll piss to many off ! Dogs retain memory's of what they do and if you let him run wild for example he will remember that but if he remembers he had to do blah blah blah he will also retain this and maybe perform better next time .I was walking my dog today and my neighbor had pigeons on the front lawn -Inti pointed and I led him in before commanding him to heel .One hour later we return and he went into a hunt mode as we got near the lawn again expecting the little stinkers to be there which they were not --dogs think just like we do and remember !!!

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    hf1 I think if your not confident of a win then control your dog on the course how you want -don't worry about losing points as a loss is a loss is a loss if it is by 1 point or 100 points .There is a bit to be appreciated in keeping calm on the course as well -its a little different to a degree with handling if you think you are a serious contender for first place as you would probably keep the whistle out of your mouth but if not take control and teach your dog on the course -that may go against many that trial but were so niche I don't think you'll piss to many off ! Dogs retain memory's of what they do and if you let him run wild for example he will remember that but if he remembers he had to do blah blah blah he will also retain this and maybe perform better next time .I was walking my dog today and my neighbor had pigeons on the front lawn -Inti pointed and I led him in before commanding him to heel .One hour later we return and he went into a hunt mode as we got near the lawn again expecting the little stinkers to be there which they were not --dogs think just like we do and remember !!!
    Farrrk we were going so welll... until that bit! yes they remember... no, they think nothing like us

generalization Ruff as we and they both think and remember things --not like theyll think about physics

Yeah I know, but in my life I spend so much time convincing people their dog isn;t thinking what they think it's thinking I just can;t resist shit like this!
    Wirehunt likes this.

Actually some breeds have an acute knowledge of physics...speed = stationery hare = shot = retrieve...beats Newtown's theory on relativety...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Actually some breeds have an acute knowledge of physics...speed = stationery hare = shot = retrieve...beats Newtown's theory on relativety...
    Yes, I've met your type, you dogs are MUCH cleverer than ours

Ejected
    I really do gotta go to one of these thing's.

How does the format work? Just got to find and point and flush??? If retrieving is involved are you allowed more than one dog at a time???

There are a variety of formats depending on the type of dog. There are retrieving, flushing, and pointer & setter events

This is a championship PS down the line pigeon trial minus the ranging between the birds

Ch Jagdhunde Quintin QC- ARGSPC Pointer&Setter champ trial - YouTube

Retriever events have different levels ranging from back to back single retrieves over land and water

I don't know much about the spaniel/flushing dog events and all breeds

Im sure Ruff could post a bit about spaniel trials