Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Dog Trials results and thoughts

Toby many of us think about the healthy population of pure breed dogs , to breed a mix breed ultimately makes life harder for all in the long run even if you get yourself a dog you like it has little use for others --its the big picture alot here to think about also .I am bringing a English Setter bitch in because there are not enough breeding here because I want to be able to have choices for me and others in the near future
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    You just said so yourself gets you a great dog, is that not what people want? A great dog?
    Hell no!!!! One person gets a great dog... big deal... a line that produces multitudes of great dogs... HELL YES!

So get some labs and german short haired pointers, cross them once then use next breed them with their own breed and so on, would that work?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    So get some labs and german short haired pointers, cross them once then use next breed them with their own breed and so on, would that work?
    Never.... second generation crosses are crap... always.

Righto. So how would you do it to keep the pure labs and German short haired pointers but still get the crosses? is there no way?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by popgun View Post
    There's a P&S trial in the Porters Pass area on the 23rd of Feb. In fact it's two down the line trials run back to back.

There's a handful of GWP's (couple of younguns and a FTch), couple of Wiems and Britanny's running.

It's the easiest way to see what it's all about.

For those interested, the trials are being run on private land.All spectators are welcome.
    Please assemble at the Springfield Hotel at 9am 23 Feb, and bring a current sheep measels Dosing Cert for all dogs with you.
    This is required at the land owners request.

We will all be travelling in convoy to the trial grounds and access is via a locked gate.
    NO LIVE AMMUNITION PERMITTED - again at the land owners request.

See Ya All there
    Ruff likes this.

good to see your post smallfry

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfry View Post
    For those interested, the trials are being run on private land.All spectators are welcome.
    Please assemble at the Springfield Hotel at 9am 23 Feb, and bring a current sheep measels Dosing Cert for all dogs with you.
    This is required at the land owners request.

We will all be travelling in convoy to the trial grounds and access is via a locked gate.
    NO LIVE AMMUNITION PERMITTED - again at the land owners request.

See Ya All there
    I've got a spare seat if anyone needs a ride from CHCH... depending on how the mutt goes you may want a lift home with someone else

Thanks El B.

Interesting to read comments about P&S NG Trials - pity they are not run down South here - the NZGTA go a bit deaf on any suggestions to help the P&S
    class advance and develop down here - so we can only do pigeon trials anyway.
    Ruff likes this.

no chance on running a natural game trial on quail down your way --I hear the quail are good but then if you have local knowledge everything is easier

Biggest problem is Rabbits.

Its been tried once or twice in the past and was a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfry View Post
    Biggest problem is Rabbits.

Its been tried once or twice in the past and was a disaster.
    If that is what the NZ HUnter contends with then yes, a UK style based trial will be a disaster... surely a trial designed to test dogs for the NZ hunter will factor those conditions in? Or are we playing a game of emulating UK Moor dogs?

yes UK Moor dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    ... to understand what work level their dog may be able to perform to with a bit of good advice .There are no negatives in taking your dog to a trial
    This is my current mindset. Who knows, it may change after few years and dogs under the belt.

Out of curiosity, I thought the negative scoring system and minimum points requirement (in the case of P&S) was there to ensure a 'standard' even if a field was small?

I'm interested in this discussion because I am interested in how a breed such as the GWP, which has a small gene pool in NZ and no true 'versatile' testing system in place is supposed to test it wares? For example, if someone was promoting their Wire as having a bit of chop, but there are no Versatile tests, pigeons tests are a waste of time and live game trials really thin on the ground then what's left? I guess we should also take into account the small group of people running dogs... particularly in the mainland.

Of course this is irrelevant to someone who doesn't care about working pedigree or betterment of their chosen breed over time.

I agree with EB that there is no harm in trialing a dog. I also agree with Ruff that pigeon trialing shouldn't really be the end game... to be honest I haven't met anyone yet that holds that mindset, but that's not to say they aren't out there.

Ask the NZGTA. The original concepts back in the 1930's were based upon UK trials.
    The P&S class has remained the same until NG trials in the North were introduced.
    A thorough review of how we do our trials in NZ is badly needed.

Some of the P&S NG trials are based upon "wild" pheasants pre released in reserves.
    How often are no results posted thru lack of game?

Some areas down South have miniscule pheasant seasons that make holding NG trials impractical.

Meantime, those forced to do pigeon trials cos of no other option bear the brunt of criticism.
    Ruff likes this.