Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Dogs for pheasants, upcoming litters?

I can't stand those wooly pig looking GWPs you saw a lot of maybe 10 years ago. I reckon those smooth hard coated wirehairs that are coming in are the ducks nuts. All the advantages of a wire haired coat without out the negatives
    mikee likes this.

4 of the 5 new dogs we have are the shorter coat type, but we did pick a bitch of med length coat to keep the gene pool diverse and retain the beard.......looking forward to the upcoming season to see what she is capable of.
    Tahr, Pointer, Sako 243 and 1 others like this.

She's pwetty.
    Pointer, I don't know how you can say those words?!
    Pointer likes this.

Another fur ball Tahr

I'm sorry Tahr. I know it's really about what it does, not what it looks like, but I just don't like dogs that look like a ball of lint

Most German girls go natural.

I only have a real photo (y'know, that film stuff) of the type I was thinking of. From the 90s, questionably bred and the looks to match its breeding. It was actually wooly. See less of the wooly curly ones these days for some reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I only have a real photo (y'know, that film stuff) of the type I was thinking of. From the 90s, questionably bred and the looks to match its breeding. It was actually wooly. See less of the wooly curly ones these days for some reason?
    A couple of years ago I saw one of the ugly wooly ones in England. The owners assured me that she was a pedigree, and they referred to her as being a strain called "Dutch GWP". They used her for hunting.
    But yeah, she was a shocker.
    Pointer likes this.

Any of these in NZ.
    Wirehaired Vizsla
    Name:  wire haired vizsla.png
Views: 278
Size:  59.2 KB

they are about the only thing that takes my fancy if I were no longer to have a pointer.

mate has a 7-8 month old Wirehair pup from NI and nice dog but just not me
    Wirehunt likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    A couple of years ago I saw one of the ugly wooly ones in England. The owners assured me that she was a pedigree, and they referred to her as being a strain called "Dutch GWP". They used her for hunting.
    But yeah, she was a shocker.
    You guys taking about dogs it ladies?
    Pointer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Any of these in NZ.
    Wirehaired Vizsla
    Attachment 41877

they are about the only thing that takes my fancy if I were no longer to have a pointer.

mate has a 7-8 month old Wirehair pup from NI and nice dog but just not me
    I know of one round Pm and there was a litter on Tm a month of two back.

I owned one up until about 18 months old. To be honest I've never had a better handle on any dog, fantastic temperament. By far a nicer dog in every way, more point, retrieve, water work etc. than the two short haired vizsla I have owned. However he wasn't exactly a healthy specimen and constantly suffered from ear infections and this queer rash/boils that the vets couldn't work out. he is now a jogging partner for an aucklander

mikee likes this.

I owned one up until about 18 months old. To be honest I've never had a better handle on any dog, fantastic temperament. By far a nicer dog in every way, more point, retrieve, water work etc. than the two short haired vizsla I have owned. However he wasn't exactly a healthy specimen and constantly suffered from ear infections and this queer rash/boils that the vets couldn't work out. he is now a jogging partner for an aucklander

Interesting to know. A non-hunting mate has one and to be honest apart from pointers its really the only other breed I like,
    a hunting mate has always had GWPs but I'm not a fan personally. Nice enough dogs though

Both our 2 pointers suffer allergies to some degree usually one one year and the other the next year.............. go figure
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

this wasn't deemed to be an allergy. His temperament wasn't far off most working pointers to be honest. Probably why I liked him so much. A big off/on switch, easy to live with. Soft enough to be biddable, hard enough to take pressure while training

Thats where I really take my hat off to Jason and a couple of other GWP breeders. They are making a real investment in broadening the gene pool and in breeding from tested and healthy dogs. In the 7 years I have had Tilly the change in the breed and the increase in the number of parent lines has been significant. I can only guess that the working ability has been bolstered too. In fact thats my only concern with the surge in imports, that some of the matings are un-proven.
    Anyway, I love my old fashioned one.
    Wirehunt likes this.