Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Hunting Aotearoa Thursday 9:30

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Sorry, Dundee, just keeping with the theme
    Bonjour we cava merci
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Chur sister

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    The woman who was show cased seemed the genuine article but Matua asks the most inane questions. This show must only survive because it is not commercially based.
    You should have heard all the fucked up questions I got from Uzbeki prior to opening, Matua has nothing on the Uzbeki
    Petros_mk likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Bring back Howie I say. I enjoyed his humour. Matua seems to be trying to make a name for himself. Always seems to be hunting behind the wire or on private land.

I think the whole thing was positive. Robyn and co. represented the sport well

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I think the whole thing was positive. Robyn and co. represented the sport well
    As someone that's never seen the sport before I was entertained ., If I lived up north I'd consider doing it . Got to be good for your dog . Wouldn't bother in the south on pigeons . Any one know if theve done trails on phessey preserves in south island ?
    Pointer likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

just returned from a south island hunting trip, to be honest you guys have trial grounds and natural game by the truck load including pheasants compared to the north, sounds like you lack a core group of like minded bird hunters to kick it off, but why would ya when ya can do the real thing so easily.
    Munsey likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    just returned from a south island hunting trip, to be honest you guys have trial grounds and natural game by the truck load including pheasants compared to the north, sounds like you lack a core group of like minded bird hunters to kick it off, but why would ya when ya can do the real thing so easily.
    Umm, where are these pheasants in the SI in any numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

what sort of numbers are you after ?
    dogs put up some in the nelson and chch region, found a few release points round timaru and seem quite a few birds on the road side, had farmers tell me they have them around, and hunted huge area's ground that would easily hold and support pheasants....... no excuse for them not to be encouraged to spread around.

R93
    what sort of numbers are you after ?
    dogs put up some in the nelson and chch region, found a few release points round timaru and seem quite a few birds on the road side, had farmers tell me they have them around, and hunted huge area's ground that would easily hold and support pheasants....... no excuse for them not to be encouraged to spread around.
    Did you hunt public land?
    I agree there should be good numbers when you look at the country.
    I only hunted pheasants around the major rivers and some private land within reach of chch and fluked one every time on the one day season that i hunted but never seen them in any substantial numbers.
    And sometimes went all day before I put one up. Took a lot of effort in scouting and time.
    To much poison and preds maybe back then.
    I hunted around taupo with a forum member and the sign and numbers were amazing in contrast to Crusader country. We got pheasants with a pot licking lab as well!

yeah public land, was the second time I have driven to darfield and both times had a rooster run across the road too.
    the braided river systems are ready made pheasant turf, maybe balloted hunting pressure and liberations would see the area change, however the quail are just as good for a pointing dog.
    there are pockets of res pheasants up here but you are hardly tripping over them, i do plenty of blank days too.

Kawhia, I have asked and asked the question on another forum of P & S people in the South Island...they say there are no birds down there but the span'l guys hold wild game trials down there so why not the P & S...apparently there are too many rabbits or something like that...well up here there are heaps and possums, hedgehogs etc etc etc to distract the distractable so I do not see the rationale.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

R93
    yeah public land, was the second time I have driven to darfield and both times had a rooster run across the road too.
    the braided river systems are ready made pheasant turf, maybe balloted hunting pressure and liberations would see the area change, however the quail are just as good for a pointing dog.
    there are pockets of res pheasants up here but you are hardly tripping over them, i do plenty of blank days too.
    I like your thinking but I doubt we will ever see F&G doing anything in that regard.
    I used to chase quail with my dog at least once a week when I lived there in the season.
    Limit was 10 only managed it a handful of times.
    Maybe there are a few more around these days.
    I hope so.

if ya want decent pheasant hunting forget fish and game, a group of mates and some land can produce far more.
    syndicate shoots are the future you blokes in the south just need to have a go.
    Pointer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Kawhia, I have asked and asked the question on another forum of P & S people in the South Island...they say there are no birds down there but the span'l guys hold wild game trials down there so why not the P & S...apparently there are too many rabbits or something like that...well up here there are heaps and possums, hedgehogs etc etc etc to distract the distractable so I do not see the rationale.
    Because a trillion rabbits in an area holding five pheasants is not equivalent to a few hedgehogs and possums. The spaniel guys do well down there because rabbits are the primary quarry of a spaniel. The bird dogs do not hunt fur at all.

Having said that, i agree there is plenty of ground to hold trials on quail etc that is not over run with rabbits. It seems many modern day triallers who were not around in the formation days of live game trialling are unaware of how well we did on wild populations pre preserves and syndicates, there is another argument that could be made that high game areas are detrimental to producing better dogs for the average hunter...

Kawhia is correct, the only missing ingredient is people with the drive to make something happen. that's what started it up here. If we possessed the drive our dogs do the world would be our oyster.