Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Lab to take me through to old man status

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Yep time for a cat
    jesus dont get me started on them the missus latest stray thinks shes her mother and sleeps with its paws wrapped around her head.
    the stray tom we been feeding to has gone from shy as to pressing its nose against the backdoor and if that dont work it goes to the front and presses agaisnt the glass looking pathetic which i thought dogs had the monopoly on.
    its now fatter than our cats due to the fact we aint the only people he,s visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Yep time for a cat
    What a truly terrible thing to suggest!
    Pointer likes this.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    jesus dont get me started on them the missus latest stray thinks shes her mother and sleeps with its paws wrapped around her head.
    the stray tom we been feeding to has gone from shy as to pressing its nose against the backdoor and if that dont work it goes to the front and presses agaisnt the glass looking pathetic which i thought dogs had the monopoly on.
    its now fatter than our cats due to the fact we aint the only people he,s visiting.
    It's time for a dog.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    What a truly terrible thing to suggest!
    can you imagine it a cat for retrieving
    everytime it,d be either to cold to wet or just ''f off get it your bloody self its tea time aint it''
    Ruff likes this.

Some dogs take no training at all it just seems to be in their make up that they know what to do. I once had a cracking lurcher pup and at 6 months on his First race he killed a Leveret and carried it back & put it in my hand. Job done! I've seen Labs and cockers do likewise, very little effort needed for the natural stuff it's just learning the whistle really, comes from years of the correct strain in the breeding. I have to agree with a previous comment about soft and timid being different but I think a lot of it comes down to pure ability and I've always found independent dogs to be easier to train. Best thing I've done is every pup, the day it leaves the bitch is in the kennel outside on its own, they immediately take you as their best mate and keep everyone including kids, away from them for a couple of weeks. The first 2 or 3 nights are howl fests but it pays off.
    I heard an old fella ask someone once "Who's your best mate? your wife or your dog?" given that the blokes wife was with him his answer was easy. Then the old fella said don't think for once it's your missus son, lock them both in the boot of your car, sod off to the pub for an hour then when you finish on the grog let them out and see who's most pleased to see you ha ha. ( So remember it's the kennel first ) and not for the wife, unless your into that of course.
    gsp follower likes this.

Some dogs take no training at all it just seems to be in their make up that they know what to do. I once had a cracking lurcher pup and at 6 months on his First race he killed a Leveret and carried it back & put it in my hand. Job done! I've seen Labs and cockers do likewise, very little effort needed for the natural stuff it's just learning the whistle really, comes from years of the correct strain in the breeding
    i always found its not when theyre doing something you want them to do when training or lack of becomes obvious/ hard /important
    and yes some take less repitition or leading than others
    Then the old fella said don't think for once it's your missus son, lock them both in the boot of your car, sod off to the pub for an hour then when you finish on the grog let them out and see who's most pleased to see you ha ha. ( So remember it's the kennel first ) and not for the wife, unless your into that of course.
    might be a closer contest on who gives you the biggest earful tho

This guide may help: Name:  1379321_13.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  67.3 KB
    Ruff, EeeBees and gsp follower like this.