Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: My last dog couldnt swim so now i need a new one.

Ejected
    You'd better show my uncle some of these curly's Pointer, he's had a few now and quite frankly after seeing them in action I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. And yes they get plenty of work and training.
    First big X against them is they love a scrap.

Yeah, I've seen two types. One harder than hard, don't leave the kids alone with it, and another, that borders on wet-sponge soft. I prefer soft in all my dogs so I'd go the latter. The softies I knew were still happy for hold a pig though, so take that as you will

Ejected
    Surprised to see so many with a hate on labs, there is a lot of crap ones out there I realize but there is some stunning ones out there working to.
    The reason they just work is in large part the lack of training required to get them going, the britt and a few others can take a massive amount just to get them under control. The lab just does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    You'd better show my uncle some of these curly's Pointer, he's had a few now and quite frankly after seeing them in action I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. And yes they get plenty of work and training.First big X against them is they love a scrap.
    My first dog was a curly , he was a softy . Big and strong as an ox , he got his arse kicked by a corgy one dayWTF ! . On the other side of things was an old pig hunter in north Canterbury who swore by them always had a curly and a foxy , he must have shot (bailed) 1000,s of pigs with them .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I see what you're saying there Tussock, anther little great Australian law is that dogs are not allowed to touch wounded or unwounded deer. There's been a hell of a lot of controversy over it but thats what banned majority on the list of hound dogs.

What I mean by aesthetics is that if you put in enough work on any dog (within reason) it has potential to do anything you want and at that point its a matter personal preference over anything more than that - my feeling anyway.

Pointer - Didnt see that post but they are good dogs hey! Old curls was a good mate, lived for 14 years too

Ejected
    Just about to head back up the hill to find the missing brit AGAIN......

Just about to head back up the hill to find the missing brit AGAIN......
    Is that the 3 year old Pip that you go off some fella? hows the training coming along with her?

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    There is a very very good reason why I don't live in Australia. There are all kinds of financial reasons why I should, but I don't. The reason is, for all my hobbies, the rules are completely insane.

Remember that deer that accidentally got shot with a varmint projectile (bloody 25-06) your Wirehair finished Wirehunt? Did not look like a slow death to me
    I can't argue with that at all I know our laws are ridiculous, the only thing keeping me here is the missus, could live without the coin for a couple of years to get the hunting!

We can't shoot deer with anything less than 270 so never get that issue here ha overkill as a minimum caliber though in my book

Surprised to see so many with a hate on labs, there is a lot of crap ones out there I realize but there is some stunning ones out there working to.
    The reason they just work is in large part the lack of training required to get them going, the britt and a few others can take a massive amount just to get them under control. The lab just does it.
    the trouble is alot of the stunning ones are few and far between, most come from long lines of pet breeding, very friendly with a half arse work ethic.
    the real hard line labs are not that common, but even a pet bred lab will fetch a duck so long as it wasn't dropped into too heavy cover or was a 100m diver.
    dog's and breeds bred to actually hunt, by that i mean range and hunt at speed do require much more training than a retriever which is best only a flusher and limited to spaniel range.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    the trouble is alot of the stunning ones are few and far between, most come from long lines of pet breeding, very friendly with a half arse work ethic.the real hard line labs are not that common, but even a pet bred lab will fetch a duck so long as it wasn't dropped into too heavy cover or was a 100m diver.dog's and breeds bred to actually hunt, by that i mean range and hunt at speed do require much more training than a retriever which is best only a flusher and limited to spaniel range.
    When I think about it ,I've never seen a dud lab as in hunting drive . My mates love them And have had a great run over the years. There are no shortage of labs in Canterbury . They also are used on the upland game . And I'm great full of there presistance on downed quails , that give the gsp the slip . My bag would sometimes be a lot lighter .They flush there fair share as well .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Really? I have only ever heard good things about curly coats. A mate had one as a pig dog and years later is still talking about it. Apparently it was a pig finding, bone crunching monster. Am I looking in the wrong places?
    Yeah I rate them. Still quite popular around here

There is a very very good reason why I don't live in Australia. There are all kinds of financial reasons why I should, but I don't. The reason is, for all my hobbies, the rules are completely insane.
    Amen. Left the best money I've ever earned when I came back to NZ for a hunting trip and never went back. Too easy to forget that we are truly blessed to live here, and the lifestyle that this place can afford

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Yeah I rate them. Still quite popular around here

Amen. Left the best money I've ever earned when I came back to NZ for a hunting trip and never went back. Too easy to forget that we are truly blessed to live here, and the lifestyle that this place can afford
    wont argue with that, you guys are truly lucky

I do miss hog deer though! One species we need here I reckon

I live here and I miss them! ha bloody tough to hunt or more tough to find. Only ever seen three and yet to sight a stag

Used to live not far from the Prom, used to see them quite often, funny wee buggers. Would do well in the wetter swampy and coastal areas around the Horowhenua/Foxton area here in NZ I reckon. If only!