Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Pointer and Setter Trials

The abomination that is wearing a flatcap backwards! And you had the cheek to berate us 'ditch diggers' for not having sufficient style....oh the humanity!

i hear M your the best dressed even more so than the guns at the shoots ...oh the hypocracy! hhaaa classic
    Last edited by el borracho; 02-11-2013 at 10:45 PM.
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

No hypocrisy.....I've never referred to anyone as a ditch digger.
    Pointer likes this.

and neither have I . I said without going back and checking it not a good look turning up at an event dressed like a laborer-and niether did I refer to any particular event if my memory serves me .But I think it is great you see the worth of dressing well to represent your sport --the thrust of my rant

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    and neither have I . I said without going back and checking it not a good look turning up at an event dressed like a laborer-and niether did I refer to any particular event if my memory serves me .
    Your memory fails you then....and this is just in this thread, let alone the others where you've rolled it out.

its not the wear out factor Des just the weight . there is alot of cheap Chinese poly fluff crap and camo stuff people proudly sport either that or they dress up as ditch diggers , even the woman .i don't know what it is in NZ but low brow is in and we have no country flair for fashion at all ..The only place youll see people turn out with a bit of style is a driven shoot . .Some advice on a light tweed would be appreciated .its a shame looking good in NZ is now out of fashion . i guess its just becoming a society without identity --the best is though-my grand father left England to get away from that crap haha. As you might guess I love the Uk country clothes over what ever it is were sold here and it would be great to see more of it here to put a bit of visual pride in all aspects of the game hunting sports , particularly bird shooting sports
    I think you'll find that most people are a bit more pragmatic about what they wear, and the reasons for it. Unlike wearing a heavy woolen tweed in summer-like weather at a trial, simply because the person thinks it is stylish.
    veitnamcam and Pointer like this.

Alas, what a twerpy country we live in...a man embezzles millions of dollars and retains the title of 'nobility' yet the man who cleans municipal restrooms has pride in his work...
    el borracho likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Very difficult justifying the retention of a knighthood under the circumstance I agree EeeBees
    el borracho and HF1 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I wouldn't mind watching a trial sometime just out of interest where can I find out when the next one is in AKL?

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Phillipgr, this is the link to the website

pointersetter.org

upcoming events are listed.
    phillipgr likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    Your memory fails you then....and this is just in this thread, let alone the others where you've rolled it out.

I think you'll find that most people are a bit more pragmatic about what they wear, and the reasons for it. Unlike wearing a heavy woolen tweed in summer-like weather at a trial, simply because the person thinks it is stylish.
    Move over Gqhoon Ive more important things talk about now but a collar and tie will do and whilst you took it every one has to wear Tweed I didn't say it -haha anyways all good
    A great day out at the champ trials held at Tuakau today .I arrived early and was wondering if I had again screwed a trial day up as it wouldn't be the first ! But no some time later a few cars started to roll in and it was all on.A good field with mostly Red dogs , 2 English setters , a a vizhla and a few GSPs.
    Mac MacArthur was judging and he is a pretty hard sort of judge which is good and also once again we had a south Island representative fly up Star Judge Kerrie Mattson whom decided to finally after 30 odd years of judging to hang up his rule book .
    Once again a nd as always a few individuals working hard so that all could enjoy -awesome people !!! Two courses were set and both of around 700 and 800 yards in length on hard pucked ground .Walking down the stop banks you noted how much flooding this place must get off the waikato river as there were tons of coy carp rotting in the fields they had swum into while they were flooded -they stank!! I didn't know ,but Petros says they're good eating for anyone that was ignorant to that fact .
    The first course run by Kerrie proved to be a challenge for some especially with he placement of the dead bird quite close to a small canal . My first dog up was Failte and truth be told I was expecting to recall her after the first bird which I did as she didn't acknowledge the scent as game .I saw Pertos for a brief moment casting his dog which look to hit its straps and move out to about 200 yards before making its turn -a bad trap saw him kick of again later in the day on that course .Failte was up and he started out well with a very long find and a roading in -from there he turned to custard with some silly handling and disobedience -I recalled .Dave Shelley had a few dogs running and I saw one pull into a beautiful point and thought hes got that in the bag only to be informed by Dave a little earlier he had a very bad retrieve and lost points .
    We moved across to the next course and watch a few dogs run -long course and hard to see it all so very hard to give accounts of others .Inti was up and started out hard crossing the course and knowing what he was doing .First bird great point ,shot fired all good .Dead bird was quite away from the live and had been stolen by a rodent .
    My dog goes on point but the judge Mac say there aint no bird the El B -I go well its a hard point so Im going forward and what do you know some little shit ferret has flogged the bird and bitten the throat out of it --retrieve to hand and onto the last bird quite a distance away .
    Inti quarters for a bit and steady's up into I know there's a bird position .Mac the judge goes you'll need a magnum if he has found the bird -doubting thomas -he tells me to road and Inti is as true on trac to the bird as can be =bird released way out shot fired all good .
    Filte had her turn and again I did tell the Judge I would pull her quick if she didn't produce -nice point from the little girl and first point on Pigeons -pulled after that as she doesn't yet retrieve -stoked tho
    The wrap up Robyn Gaskin takes out the Kerri Mattsons course and the trophy I won last year .El B takes out the Auckland Regions GSP competition trophy with 90 points top score of the day
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by el borracho; 03-11-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Nice report. Robyn certainly sets the benchmark to try and achieve. Dave's dog's are normally a bit more sound than that...presumably they didn't appreciate being left at home while he went overseas without them.

As an outside observer someone in traditional nz outdoors wear preferably well worn looks like someone i would like to talk to and maybe learn from.
    Wearing your granddads gears including dog chewed hat makes you look like a unemployed homeless alcoholic that the cops have picked up and taken out of town to dump.

Just my humble opinion.
    Pointer and teFerrarri like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

dave placed and did well just not first place . He always perfoms consistantly at a top level but every dog has its good and exceptionally good days .

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    As an outside observer someone in traditional nz outdoors wear preferably well worn looks like someone i would like to talk to and maybe learn from.
    Wearing your granddads gears including dog chewed hat makes you look like a unemployed homeless alcoholic that the cops have picked up and taken out of town to dump.

Just my humble opinion.
    might be better to listen to grandad hahaha

might be better to listen to grandad hahaha
    They both died 20 plus years ago.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.