Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Pointer and Setter Trials

What was he wearing ??

thin air at the end
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

What were the results from the Rotorus trials

update tonight when I get the pics off the camera

some of the guys that placed in the QC event-I think Pete got first !! excellent -I left the day before with other commitments .Fantastic ground we had to run -a little like Italy
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Petros_mk likes this.

Enzo!!!
    Pointer likes this.

great to see a GSP amongst the fold too

SATURDAY TRIAL - 3am start from Auckland to Rotorua to a trial ground I had yet to visit at a stunning locations on the banks of lake Aitamuri .Wow its a bloody huge bright green field -mmmm a little Italyish I thought with its short grass cover and wide open expanse -except Italy isnt vivid green like the Rua .
    Two trials this weekend but I have to leave same day after this to spend time with my south American Inlaw so shit another 3-4 hour trip back after a day in the sun .
    On arriving a cool wind was blowing which was a good thing for the dogs and for the judges to set a positive course to get the wind on a dogs nose .

The usual bunch of keen people arrived as from as far north as Auckland and as far south as Wellington --you couldn't call a dog trialer lazy with the lengths they go to just to run 15 minutes once or if lucky till the end .
    Judges today were Linda Beck and Tony Connor .
    Here are some notes I took of the judges critique -not word for word but in general

The first brace was Francis Connor with Di versus Barb Applegarth with ruby-Di had an untidy start and circled off the wind a few times but then got into her stride with some very nice ranging .Ruby got off to a good solid start with good ranging and found both birds but on both occasions started creeping in on the bird-both birds released because of that .

second brace Robyn and Stella and myself with Failte . . Stella has some lovely work out the left side but missed a few areas , great report with Robyn and had a lovely back . Failte powered off to a good start at high speed , turned off the wind a bit and then came onto a really solid point -bird released and shot fired - sadly nosiness got the better of her as she wanted to check the trap out .I might add this was only her second point on a pigeon trap and it was very impressive .Failte sent packing boohooo

third brace Robyn with Tanner and Peter with Achillies .Tanner powered off for a big strong run , worked a little far forward and favoured ore the left hand side --certainly not uncommon on this day -Tanner found both birds -first bird he took a step -second bird perfect work .Peters Acky started with a back cast -again a few did this today -he missed some of the left side and dropped some pace off on the right side as he went futher to the right side of the bank . a nice stop put on him when Tanner went on Point but not busy enough today although some good cast also were done . One does have to reflect he was up against a NZ champ so you have to be really on your game plan to look better than a dog like that

forth brace Robyn and Tonto versus Rob Meredith and his Gordon Setter Banshee.Judge comment both handlers walk a little fast .Rob had a great cast with his quick little Gordon but the work was inconsistent today .Tonto nice range and pattern -Tonto finds first Bird and is Steady .Tonto finds second bird but doesn't have the pace of of the first section -found to be a little sticky when asked to road-get there tho -shot fired steady to wing and shot.!

fifth brace Dale with Roche versus myself and Inti .This was an interesting one as the judges were bloody strict and did something I hadnt personally seen when with an opponent .Roche -wow what a speed demon is this red dog -no way my nearly 10 year old dog is going to keep up with it for all the money in the world -but Roche pushes
    a little to hard forward and has Dale on the whislte a little to often dropping my dog flat on more thanone occasion thinking Im giving the get down boy command -Roche come off a long forward cast and finds the bird -point with a good back from Into shot fired but Roche is pulled due to to much opposition handler interference .Them the breaks even if you get the point !!!as I was to soon find out myself lol

Next round Robyn with Stella and myself and Inti -dogs head off with Inti having a poor cast but getting into it as time went on -Inti gets the point with a back from Stella -shot fires Inti walks 1.5metres -sloppy --dogs are off again and close by each other but Inti once again is first to the point with a nice back from Stella .Interesting as the point is just under the brow of the hill and the bird is still some way off -the wind has carried the scent a distance hard onto his nose -I road Inti and as we drop down the undulating hill and he has to re-find that scent --just as Linda Beck becomes an unbeliever and says the words lift him he snapps hard on point -shot fired nice and steady .
    Now off for the dead bird which again was really was quite sloppy even tho a hand delivery was done --at this level you have to have it all together on the day and Inti didn't today and he was toast even after having both finds --thems the breaks and hats of to the judges for not letting sub standard work through .

Well in the wash up was First Robyn and Stella then Francis and Di then Robyn again ..I forgot which dog

Anyway a short cut of how it went down on the "DAY" .The following day I was not there for so Peter may shed some light on that -
    Enjoy the photos and thanks to Petros for getting behind the lens also !!
    Attached Images Attached Images                            
    Last edited by el borracho; 18-11-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Uzbeki is all smiles

Goes to show that its only a pigeon trial

on the weekend 3 dogs who are linked to forum members gained a QC at the Rotorua trials, congrats to all 3 dogs and owners, but what is a QC exactly ??

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    It is a lawyer thing. It means Queens Council. It does have other meanings as well like Quick Chase, Quiet Cnut etc. If El B was one of them it probably means Quality Chap (said with a poncey pommy accent while wearing tweed).
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

qualifying certificate means they have worked the ground to an acceptable standard and pointed a bird .Qc

cheers brian, so what are they now qualified to do

it has always been a recognition that the dog has achieved a standard -to say to the handler he is on the right track -he has control and their peers recognize this .Some people think they're doing well but have no measuring stick with a young dog to know how they are doing against other animals with little experience -the qc lets them know