Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Pointer and Setter Trials

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    it has always been a recognition that the dog has achieved a standard -to say to the handler he is on the right track -he has control and their peers recognize this .Some people think they're doing well but have no measuring stick with a young dog to know how they are doing against other animals with little experience -the qc lets them know
    Whats after a QC El B? Like the next recognition step?

from there you would just carry on for trialing --the next step is the on going training of manners around birds for the dogs and winning trials
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

it has always been a recognition that the dog has achieved a standard -to say to the handler he is on the right track -he has control and their peers recognize this .Some people think they're doing well but have no measuring stick with a young dog to know how they are doing against other animals with little experience -the qc lets them know
    IT really hasn't got much to do with the handler and the control has has over the dog.
    As long as the dog does what he is suppose to do for the type of breed he is (aka what a pointing dog should do - point) then he will get a QC.
    You can get a QC without having any control over a dog, dogs don't have to be steady to flush, you won't even need to recall a dog if he is quartering nicely and stays in touch with you (which has a lot to do with the rapport you have with your dog, instead the control you put on him) and finally finds the birds and produces it.
    Important part is that he runs like he should, points a bird like he should and not be gun shy...

QC trials really is a test of the dog's raw qualities, rather than control which is not looked at into great detail. Control is a training issue not a breeding quality.

not that I have bothered with QCs myself but one would presume most of what you have said has something to do with early training I think -like report , pointing not running in on the bird ....so on so forth ..... QC just recognizes theyre on track

I think Z was originally asking so what are they Qualified to do .......... that any dog that hasnt got one isnt doing aswell

I personally think a QC should be gained before running in Ch trials , similar to how they do things overseas.

The rule book states that the terms of engagement for the QC are: that the dog will hunt and find game as is expected of its breed, that it will set or point, that it is not gunshy, that it obtains 75 points or better in a limit trial judged by an approved judge. Blanks are fired on the pigeons being released. There is no retrieve in the QC trial.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

What does a set look like? Point with all feet on the ground using nose??

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    I personally think a QC should be gained before running in Ch trials , similar to how they do things overseas.
    in a perfect world i think your right Z

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    YEP
    Gibo likes this.

YEP
    Sorry for that dumb question, just looked at petros avatar

Not a dumb question at all Gibo
    Last edited by el borracho; 20-11-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Sometimes the dog can go on point with a real 'snap'...I have found my bitch who moved up to the bird on point and was standing with one rear leg at half mast...some will have either front leg lifted in the point mode but usually this part of the pointing process is done with after they have moved in; it is more an indicator. If the dog scents the bird from a distance, they will initiate or you will the couler in French or roading in...have had the odd bird scented in considerable distances so the couler can be a prolonged exercise...which to me is very exciting and to yourself you are hoping and praying the bird isn't a runner so that the dog after all his work and the intensity can get the retrieve. The one thing that really gets me is that often the dog can go through all of this, then on to the flush, bird breaks cover and it is a blinking hen (pheasant)...the look on the dog's face is enough to curdle your blood!!!

Boy on point...indicating a cock Cali we had called in...

some dogs will have their tails vibrating when hard on point!!
    Last edited by EeeBees; 20-11-2013 at 10:10 PM.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Sometimes the dog can go on point with a real 'snap'...I have found my bitch who moved up to the bird on point and was standing with one rear leg at half mast...some will have either front leg lifted in the point mode but usually this part of the pointing process is done with after they have moved in; it is more an indicator. If the dog scents the bird from a distance, they will initiate or you will the couler in French or roading in...have had the odd bird scented in considerable distances so the couler can be a prolonged exercise...which to me is very exciting and to yourself you are hoping and praying the bird isn't a runner so that the dog after all his work and the intensity can get the retrieve. The one thing that really gets me is that often the dog can go through all of this, then on to the flush, bird breaks cover and it is a blinking hen (pheasant)...the look on the dog's face is enough to curdle your blood!!!

Boy on point...indicating a cock Cali we had called in...

some dogs will have their tails vibrating when hard on point!!
    Thanks EeeBees. Pointer doesnt know it yet but next bird season i'm tagging along for a day or two. Never shot a game bird but boy do I like eating them

Quote Originally Posted by Petros_mk View Post
    IT really hasn't got much to do with the handler and the control has has over the dog.
    As long as the dog does what he is suppose to do for the type of breed he is (aka what a pointing dog should do - point) then he will get a QC.
    You can get a QC without having any control over a dog, dogs don't have to be steady to flush, you won't even need to recall a dog if he is quartering nicely and stays in touch with you (which has a lot to do with the rapport you have with your dog, instead the control you put on him) and finally finds the birds and produces it.
    Important part is that he runs like he should, points a bird like he should and not be gun shy...

QC trials really is a test of the dog's raw qualities, rather than control which is not looked at into great detail. Control is a training issue not a breeding quality.
    it really is a raw test to show the dog can hunt and point.
    in times of high entries it would be a given that only QC attained dogs get a run in a CH trial.
    the main thing I can see is it gives new handlers a taste of walking and running a dog with judges etc.
    I see the spaniel crowd have indicated a working test could be on the cards to provide the same.