Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Pointer and Setter Trials

The input of others with great knowledge of breeding does make this forum 100% more interesting -please keep the information flowing guys when ever you can or want about dogs here or to keep an eye on overseas !!!!!
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

maybe tussock could advise when it's time to add some Labrador into the line..... could get a far better rabbit chaser or deer indicator at very little cost which is far more important.
    Pointer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    maybe tussock could advise when it's time to add some Labrador into the line..... could get a far better rabbit chaser or deer indicator at very little cost which is far more important.

Straight away the interests stir when someone starts talking about important lines that have made a difference in a breed , I do enjoy it and hope both Frank and Des and who ever else has interesting subject matter to share make this a "more" interesting thread ! I think well keep away from things that chase at this stage ahahaha

We have some more live game trials coming up which if I am able would dearly love to film and post for all to see the terrain , birds ,people and work the dogs do on our outings.Hell Im having trouble fitting my tweed breaks this year , mind you I did blow the button off last year as well ....-eating to much porridge lol

That made me choke on my coffee laughing kawhia, but it does illustrate a valid point of the dog section here.

In one sub section you have a discussion on breeding of performance animals, even a pedigree shown of a dog, with top performers back decades, and a videos of the dog to show that the proof is in the pudding.
    In the other dog subsection we have ' put a bit of lab in it bro ' hahaha

Pointer any chance of hearing a bit about your black beauty from overseas ?a few pics would be great also

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Then I have to say those are some stupid names for dogs but whatever floats there boat
    Toby!!!! Every dog name, no matter how meaningless or frivilous means something to the owner...on an illustrious pedigree you are not going to see a dog with the name Gullyview Spud or Camberton Grrrrubuggar... You should read some of the show dog names...

(fictitious names)
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Even so, Snorre had a greater impact at stud than anyone in Norway could have imagined.
    The impact, or otherwise, that a dog has on a breeding programme is to a large degree dependent on the state of the breed when that dog comes into the gene pool. English setters in Ireland, were in a poor state, bar a few notable exceptions, when S'norre appeared on the scene. Johnny used him very effectively but the S'norre effect is still being felt. My interpretation of what Johnny told me was that even though he was pleased with how his first import had worked out he couldn't see anything of the same quality to continue with so he went back again to Norway. I'll agree to disgree on the quality of Odin's breeding but whoever the next dog was it was going to find it difficult to make the same impact simply because S'norre had worked extremely well.
    As an interested bystander the most interesting developement is that the more recent imports have had an immediate inpact. It will also be interesting to see how the three or four french imports work out.
    el borracho likes this.

FTO
    The immediate outbreeding impact would definitely be there, whether the gene pool was decent or not (though of course easier noticeable if it was in a bad state). The real measurement comes a few generations later, to see what actually keeps surviving at a higher quality. If we specifically talk about G'Snorre vs Odin, then I can say that Johnny hit the Storeskar kennel at the exact right time when importing Snorre. It is a kennel which has produced a lot of pups but none better than two-three litters in the mid 1980s. G'Snorre came from a re-mating done in 1986. The same combination done in 1984 produced C Wasaki who won a high profile young dog trial in 1985. The kennel also produced a dog called F Quito from a similar combination in 1985, using the father of Wasaki/Snorre on their half-sister. Snorre's father Tiurhaugens Keiser Albin was by the exceptional American imported stud Equimark, who I mentioned earlier (Equimark was sold by the Smith Setters because he didn't have a proper 12 o'clock tail..) and a mix of the best old Norwegian lines and the legendary Swedish kennel Ekebäck. Snorre's mother Urskogens Fatima was a well bred Swedish import who impressed in forest trials, where English setters traditionally hadn't done particularly well in Norway.

FTO
    If anyone is interested you can check out the Norwegian Winter Championship on NM Vinter 2014
    The individual championship starts today with 200 qualified dogs. You can see the starting lists here http://www.hvfk.org/images/NMVinter14/VK/VK-parti.pdf
    60 dogs will go through to the semifinals on Saturday, while 18 dogs will be competing in the finale on Sunday.

My mate Geir B. Larssen won last year with his pointer Barentsviddas B Sortebill. (Geir is my closest partner-in-crime and we bounce ideas off each other with the pointer breeding.) He's starting both Sortebill and C Nansen today but is away from home a lot in his work, so his hopes of going all the way to the final might be slim this year. Another trial kicks off tomorrow (Exit Cup), open for dogs who have been knocked out of the Championship. The final on Sunday (which will be Sunday evening NZ time) will have live updates, brace by brace..

Does Sweden & Norway combine trials together or they are running their own separate scene when it comes to competing?
    Last edited by Petros_mk; 28-03-2014 at 01:17 PM. Reason: irrelevant

FTO
    Quote Originally Posted by Petros_mk View Post
    Does Sweden & Norway combine trials together or they are running their own separate scene when it comes to competing?
    Different countries, different trials. Sweden have British and Continental breeds separated, like most places around the world. Norway (like NZ) run them together. Nowhere is the trial scene bigger than in Norway. I guess the US will be the closest.

PS. Swedes also come to Norway to compete and vice versa.
    Petros_mk likes this.

FTO
    Just a few explanations regarding the start lists I posted a link to above.
    So ten different groups x 20 dogs starting (they're out in the terrain right now).

Terreng = name of terrain that particular group is in.
    Dommere = names of each group's two judges.
    Eier/forer = Owner/handler
    ES, IS, GS, P all obvious which breeds they are..
    B = Britanny, KV = GSP, SV = GWP

When the day's done they will usually post a number next to the name of dogs who have won prizes. (Max 6 dogs in each group). They will automatically go through to the semis. Some dogs might not win a prize, due to no bird work (all wild birds - Arctic Grouse/Ptarmigan) but have impressed with their running and still go through to the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    Pointer any chance of hearing a bit about your black beauty from overseas ?a few pics would be great also
    Sorry about the late reply El B, was away chasing stags for the weekend.

What to say about Betty? Runs, hunts, points, natural backer, retrieves land and water. Ran to the end of the open stake (surprisingly) at Taupo last weekend for no birds, doesn't make the second round in Novice the day after...

She is definitely an alpha bitch, she has to be first in everything. First to the food, first for a pat, first in the running. Everything is competitive to her.

My criticisms of her are two at this stage; the first I can't change, the second I'm working on.

The first, she is tiny! While being well built and 19 kgs, she could have done with a few more inches height. The second is her running, it's all over the show. While she hunts to the conditions and adapts her range to cover, she still has her moments, but we will get there.

Here is a pic of her staring my pigeon loft to death:

Name:  IMG_5364.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  221.5 KB
    Last edited by Pointer; 31-03-2014 at 09:19 PM. Reason: massive photos

South Islands...four dogs, no North Island entries...1st place equal to the EB and GWP...no other placings.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...