Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23839404142434445464748495051525354 LastLast
Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Pointer and Setter Trials

Lovely pups! You must nealy be puppyed up soon Ees?
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

A watched pot never boils!!!! We will be back...!!!

Was disappointed to miss the AGM...typical...ten days off and am laid up with a cold/flu event!!!
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Always fun and games the agm! I was very dissapointed not to run failte in any of the live game due to coming into heat finally-- wirst time possible. Looking forward to seeing a new pocket rocket

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Beautiful puppies...
    Crackers and proper pointers? to boot. Wish we had more room and despite the fact its hard enough to train one and 2's a nightmare I would have a bloody house full of pointers if the bloody council would let us have more than 2
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

The traditional English dogs are all stunning

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    Yep, I will be looking for another pointer eventually but most likely an older dog (maybe a dog that almost but didn't quite make it as a field trial dog) looking for an retirement home with excellent conditions. (FFS my wife has the current mobs 2 single bay dog kennels in our downstairs room cause its too cold outside)
    When they slam on point from running full noise nothing even comes close!
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Woteva!!!

Woteva!!!
    Hey some french dogs are ok too!! Its just I am rather large with an aversion to following my pooches into the gorse/ scrub. A Spaniel and a Pointer/Setter would make a good pair to cover all bases don't you think.
    EeeBees likes this.

Running an ESS with a Pointer or ES would just about do your head in, I would say, Mikee!!! It would be multi tasking at not only its most reckless, but also at its most profound...!!

I rib on about the Anglaisey dugs but to see the Pointer get the afterburners fired up is a sight that is beautiful. Bugger!! I wrote that????

Addend: but the seasoned old veteran 38+ bar tail rooster likes the blackberry and gorse...so too does the cali...
    mikee and teFerrarri like this.

hawke eye

Nice review old man......!

Sunday cucumber sandwiches and ginger beer for all ,we have birds.
    Trialers meet at 8am at the grounds entrance for the draw with eager anticipation for what this new day and new grounds might bring to us all.
    This trial was a novice game trial ,meaning any dog that had not won a champ natural game trial or more than two natural game novice trials could enter .We had a interesting and glorious field of 8 dogs made up of one English pointer, one English Setter , one Gsp ,one Gordon Setter and the remainder Irish red Setters.
    To have such a mix of breeds is very exciting for the sport of trailing and also for the gallery to observe the different styles of each breed .
    As a tree had blocked our entry to the first field we entered quietly on foot so as not to disturb the potential game at the very first part of the course .
    Our first brace was Robyn's Irish bitch Stella and Dales Irish bitch Ruchy. Both dogs started their brace and proceeded to work the ground left and right through the perfectly open areas of undergrowth ,open ground and blackberry .
    Stella could have been a little more intense in her work but did enough at this level to go through although this early round did not produce a bird .Ruchy did enough t o go through also but could have been more responsive to commands and did work back a little .Ruchy had rabbit contact and was steady enough not to go chasing .
    Next round English Setter INti and Dave's Irish Dog Billy.This should have been a walk in the park hunt for Inti but his character had changed over the last few weeks with dominance issues ,control issues and waywardness possibly due to his kennel mate coming into season ...not worth talking about and the next dog came in for a short run .Morries GSP Charlie was running.Billy had a rabbit in brace but was solid .Charlie's pattern needed work but he ran solidly with no birds mistakes.
    Both Billy and Charlie had a bird in the heat but it was deemed only Billy had opportunity so was put out .Next brace was Robs gordon who had an enthusiastic flush which sent him packing .
    Linda Becks Irish bitch Sappy was up against Alan jury's Pointer dog Ceddrick.
    Sappy cast and went straight to work in the old birdyness area from where one had flushed .Sappy treated the grounds with a thorough search .Ceddrick work well as he has all week but in the blackberry came a crowing rooster out of view of the judges.Out of view but not out of tonal range of clattering bells which should have stopped so two dogs less.
    Last rounds saw 3 dogs left ,Stella,Ruchy and Charlie.
    Stella and Ruchy went first in an area known for birds .They had both forest interior and exterior to find in and cast fast and hard with vim and vigor as a judge said to quickly locate a bird .Dale had to do the unthinkable and shoot the bird on the ground as it would only leg it - lucky they're blanks eh!sadly Roche moved to much and went from the game.
    Final run with Stella and Charlie .Morrie with Charlie is new to the trial world and running a GSP and having a great time competing. First cast of Charlie saw a bird come from behind the cast as the dogs worked forward so no harm done .Charlie worked enthusiastically only to find himself running after two
    roosters from down in a gully he had been going through .Had she worked with a little more gusto Stella may have encountered those birds but did not .End of day no result but a very successful day for all in that we finally had some good bird opportunities and bird opportunities is what success is about .
    Tomorrow the champ trial !photos to come once on home computer.
    Again excuse the spelling errors - iPad replaces some things I write and they're weirder than I normally write.
    el borracho likes this.

appreciate being appreciated!!!

Running an ESS with a Pointer or ES would just about do your head in, I would say, Mikee!!! It would be multi tasking at not only its most reckless, but also at its most profound...!!

I rib on about the Anglaisey dugs but to see the Pointer get the afterburners fired up is a sight that is beautiful. Bugger!! I wrote that????

Addend: but the seasoned old veteran 38+ bar tail rooster likes the blackberry and gorse...so too does the cali...
    correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that how English pointers are run on the moors..... spaniels and labs at heel to do the recovery work.
    Pointer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that how English pointers are run on the moors..... spaniels and labs at heel to do the recovery work.
    That was my understanding too

mine to , maybe teFerrarri and Eee bees have a touch of the mentals
    Pointer likes this.

How did the rest of the live game trials go?