Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree263Likes

Thread: Pointer and Setter Trials

so it's not a hpr trial then.

why not just get a live game element going within the pointer setter format........ you already have judges that are qualified for live game spaniels in it.

i have alot of respect for your 'just do it' mentality, but charging in under the HPR flag may actually be premature at this stage.

and once again i'm not having a go at you.

Australian National Kennel Council

they call HPR's utility dogs in oz........... they also appear to have both N/A testing and trials for such dogs.

How is it not an HPR trial? Hunt, point, retrieve.

I don't see how it's premature. It's been talked about for years and nothing concrete has happened yet.

It's a very basic step at this point. Everything else is theoretical down the line. I think it's time to run an event and see who actually shows up and runs. Then we can advance the format from there as best as possible. There's no use in just talking about it or holding out for some very complicated or advanced format in which no one will run or complete. To gain momentum we need a starting point and an event with good attendance.

I just see no need to exclude pointers if they are capable of completing the work as the continentals are not excluded from PS trials if they are capable of completing the work. The setters and pointers are recognized by NAVHDA.

my take on a HPR trial is a down the line pigeon trial with a water retrieve added to it, any other ideas ???

HPR would need a tracking element also.Why not run them through GSP club?
    Run with it! now matter how you start it will just develop--it dont have to be a polished diamond to start with
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

i havnt been involved with the club for years, do they still run HPR club trials , i cant remember tracking being a part of the HPR trials we ran

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    my take on a HPR trial is a down the line pigeon trial with a water retrieve added to it, any other ideas ???
    That's the starting format. Ultimately I hope it will be a shooting trial on pheasants and hares/rabbits with a water retrieve added.

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    HPR would need a tracking element also.Why not run them through GSP club?
    Run with it! now matter how you start it will just develop--it dont have to be a polished diamond to start with
    I think a tracking section is a waste of time. In my experience, any track a human can lay is extremely easy for any half decent dog to complete and it ends up taking up loads of time and real estate to lay the tracks.

I'm not sure of a way to do it but I would like to see it be a part of the format eventually if a decent solution can be developed. For the time being it isn't included.

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    Why not run them through GSP club?
    It is

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    i havnt been involved with the club for years, do they still run HPR club trials , i cant remember tracking being a part of the HPR trials we ran
    They haven't been run in a long time.

there are steps that need to be taken if you actually want to set something up that will actually stand the test of time.... the first small steps have already been taken, nzkc and nzgta will require an indept set of standards/rules for such trials, and like anything to do with them it will take time.
    as a rule we follow the uk trial formats, any advancement in hpr trialling in this country will follow the uk, the same as the spaniels.
    setters and pointers are not classed as HPR's under the uk system, in fact they have as of this week moved into official status as a separate format.
    the time is getting close to approach nzgta, to adopt the hpr format for live game........ i disagree with the fact all that has been done is talk.

do your home work and have a look at whats happening in those other countries with the little union jacks in the flag corners.
    look into whats been tried here in the past, you may find the auckland gsp club sunk the last decent attempt....... i'm sure bob will tell you the story.

talk to the guys who set up the live game spaniel format, they too just got stuck in and done it, but they made sure they had the instruction book before hand................ and didn't run non spaniels for starters lol.

You can talk about it in theory all you want.

I'd rather get out and run dogs and have fun then decide where to go from there. Who cares if it's not the perfect format? It's good to get dogs out working. Screw NZGTA or whoever recognition, I just want to run dogs. Recognition can come in time if warranted.

I talked to Bob about it on monday when I took Quick down to show him.

The details for the trial have just been sent out. Sept 23rd in Auckland.

good luck with it.

i think our end goal to hold live game trials is the same, but our approach to do so is where we differ on the matter.

ill be there ,better wear cushions in ya behind areas cause ill be kicken ass
    RCGSP likes this.
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    there are steps that need to be taken if you actually want to set something up that will actually stand the test of time.... the first small steps have already been taken, nzkc and nzgta will require an indept set of standards/rules for such trials, and like anything to do with them it will take time.
    as a rule we follow the uk trial formats, any advancement in hpr trialling in this country will follow the uk, the same as the spaniels.
    setters and pointers are not classed as HPR's under the uk system, in fact they have as of this week moved into official status as a separate format.
    the time is getting close to approach nzgta, to adopt the hpr format for live game........ i disagree with the fact all that has been done is talk.

do your home work and have a look at whats happening in those other countries with the little union jacks in the flag corners.
    look into whats been tried here in the past, you may find the auckland gsp club sunk the last decent attempt....... i'm sure bob will tell you the story.

talk to the guys who set up the live game spaniel format, they too just got stuck in and done it, but they made sure they had the instruction book before hand................ and didn't run non spaniels for starters lol.
    so the first step is to remove Versatiles from P&S trials ???

Kawhia, do you have anything positive to put forward
    RCGSP likes this.