Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Teaching NO !

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    If you think I am a loser from the onset because I wish to speak French because I have a French breed then I am proud to be such a loser. And I see no reason for this comment from you considering that one of my dogs knew NO Anglaise before he came to this country, but then you would not know that of course.

I am not going to pursue this with you Ruff...although I must say how disappointed I am that you lay down a challenge for us to meet with our dogs then when I accept the challenge you withdraw but continue to lamblast me.

No more of this...I am wearied by it...as I am sure other members would be as well...
    I'm pretty wearied of this too to be frank. The sounds a dog hears are not language, just sounds.

I don;t think you are a loser, I was playing in kind, if you can;t take it, don;t give it... calling me a wanker is what drew the comment... and I haven;t backed away from a meeting to run dogs at all... I've left it for you to tee up.

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    Yes , I think the point is "stop "covers the lot sufficiently even if we have a couple of tonal growls as well .I mean I arrggh aarrgh at my dog but in reality it does bugger all .I just remove the dog from the unwanted behavior if need be .
    What does always amaze me is how a dog can get into sync with the owner with hands and verbals
    Once you are communicating with the dog without commands the road is easy... if you've only got commands it will always be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    More than words, for sure. I have a six-months young pup here at the mo who didn't have a single word applied to him as a bit of an experiment. Turns, recall etc all done by body language. So far putting a command to body language has been far easier than vice versa, I think I'll stick with it!
    My fella knows a few words on their own (sit, down, blah blah) but I'd go so far as saying 90% of his cues are purely visual and have no verbal cue added. If he's 100m away from me, like hell he's going to know what I am shouting but he will still be able to see my exagerrated visual cues.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I love the Passion Eesbees holds for her French dog and the language to boot --dogging is also a romance of something one finds very valuable in life -let the romance continue unhindered - and it will all be very tweed lol
    EeeBees likes this.
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Is there a way to make a dog un hypo, like feeding before trying to do anything with it or any little trick that might help?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Toby , explain about your dog to get a reasonable answer please
    Wirehunt likes this.

I was trowing pigeons and getting pip to retrieve them but she seems really hypo and loses interest really fast and goes of doing her own thing. The other day I went down the back on the motorbike made her run the whole way and had a sit down for 15min started playing fetch, she was really good. Maybe I just need to take her for a run to burn off some energy first?
    VIVA LA HOWA

first thing to do Toby is stop while your ahead --ie dont keep doing it until she stops . Hypo usually means she wants to do something because its fun -again stop before its not !! Keep it real simple ,not to long and 2-3 throws is enough .

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I was trowing pigeons and getting pip to retrieve them but she seems really hypo and loses interest really fast and goes of doing her own thing. The other day I went down the back on the motorbike made her run the whole way and had a sit down for 15min started playing fetch, she was really good. Maybe I just need to take her for a run to burn off some energy first?
    Running a dog to burn off energy is fraught with issues... as time goes by the dog gets fitter, it needs more energy burning, the next thing you have to run the dog five miles behind the truck to do a training session in the yard.

Having done you basic training I slowly start to use the opportunity of the hype when being released as a training stage as if you can have control at that level of excitement you will have it at all times in the field and on the hill.

Instead of throwing pigeons etc until she is bored, even if it's quickly, do some control work during the hyped stage and get her used to knowing she must listen at all times, hype or not. Also, if your basic training was in place she can't bugger off and do her thing because a stop or recall puts her back on the job, that might be a little clue that you could some more worth with that before worrying too much about game at this stage.
    Wirehunt likes this.