Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Versatile hunting dog test

GSP
    That's fine. You have never been to a test, you have no idea what the tests are about and yet you give an opinion. How typical.
    Those who wish to enter tests will do so. Those who like to run things down will continue to do so. Meanwhile the genuine working gundog folk will continue on with whatever they chose to do.

I think the tests are a great thing to do and have my support but to not carry on and measure against others seems half baked to me personally -you may disagree
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

GSP, to what age is intermediate? I have belonged to the VHDTANZ for a number of years and have never participated usually because of the location...would the association be interested in holding a test in HB if I could find a suitable ground?
    I would love to see the French TAN concept here where it is recorded on the dogs registration.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

whats involved in the Frech test EB

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    whats involved in the Frech test EB
    The test d'aptitude naturale is similar to the lines of the VHDTA tests where the young dog is expected to show natural ability...a dizzied partridge is usually used. The fact that the dog may chase the bird, after it is flushed and the judge has fired a starters pistol is not scorned but shows the drive in the youngster...the TAN is for dogs up to two and a half years old. It is the intensity of the dogs prey drive that is really noted and greatly admired. A degree of control is desirous!!

To me all testing of training is a good thing! Is the french training just on birds or involves fur -tracking and all the other versatile tests?

The TAN is not a test on training...it is a test on the puppy's/young dog natural aptitude...the judges want to see strength in prey drive, vigour in le chasse etc. The TAN is only on feather, as in partridge. By tracking you are meaning dragging a bird or fur along the ground?...no, this is not part of the TAN.
    Last edited by EeeBees; 27-02-2013 at 09:07 PM.

sounds pretty much like what we would do at a Sunday training day with a young dog with the GSP club if one so desired

I don't agree about the trials vs. tests sentiment, they aim for different things. Tests aim for a standard, trials aim to find the best individual - be it dog or handler.
    EeeBees likes this.

Trials pretty much test your standard of either handler or dog --you can participate without having to have winning in mind --only one person out of the group can win so take advantage of the pressure

Ejected
    Competitions mean a dog was better than another on the day, which in itself doesn't mean much unless all dogs were preforming to a high standard.
    Preforming to a standard tells much more. That is why it's called a standard
    Pointer likes this.

Yes Wire that is true but the points or critique will let you know how others went in comparison and or you did .You yourself know though generally as you walk behind and watch your dog make you proud or make you annoyed with how the team performed "on the day "
    No matter what field of sport your in it is always an on the day thing for results even if you've trained to the highest standards . Your standard needs to be measured over time to provide a clear picture of progress

Each element of the NA and Intermediate Tests are evaluated and scored (points) and a critique given of each dog's performance on each of the elements assessed.

To do well in both the NA and Intermediate Tests takes considerably more ability on the dog's part and training from the handler than teaching a budgie to shit in a cage.

One thinks most tests are set not to be easy but achievable .Any test system devised by working dog people must have some creditability if run strictly although I dont like the fact that some wont run contest to show the divide between talent --its just to commie for me

From memory, there are only two dogs in the history of the NZVHDTA that have P1 scores in both the NA and Intermediate Tests, and only one within the age limits set. They are not easy, nor set to be 'achievable' by the majority. Each dog's performance is evaluated against the criteria, the Standard. If the dog doesn't measure up to the standard, it's scores reflect that.

There is no first, second or third placings given...or even a fifth placing as I am aware of at a recent Trial. There are no Highly Commended, or Most Improved Player placings given or any other romantic bullshit evaluation about the dog's performance. If the dog is any good, and has had some decent training, then it will do well. If it hasn't, then it will be obvious for all to see.

Good luck trying to encourage more people to Compete at a Trial. Your embarrassing behavior on here and the other forum has done more to put people off ever wanting to Trial that you could possibly comprehend.
    Pointer and upnorth uplander like this.